MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What are you going to watch if writers' strike continues?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:00 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder when the last time was I went to a theater to watch a movie??? I don't get out much, having kids does that to you...

You don't have time to watch TV or go to movies because of your kids, but you have enough time to lament the fact on the internet. I envy your life. The gun is located in the closet on the upper shelf to the left.

What the hell is that supposed to mean???

It means I hate Existentialism. As an art-form, not as practical expression.

I'm not sure what existentialism has to do with it, either.

First off, I never complained about not being able to watch TV. I also never said I don't have time to watch TV. I just choose not to. Therefore the fact that there is a writers strike has little to no impact on my life.

And my not going to movies is constrained by economics as much as (if not more than) by time. If me and my wife want to go to a movie, we need to figure in the cost of a babysitter as well. And frankly I choose (there's that word again...) to spend my money in other ways.

If that bums you out, well, I guess you know where the gun is...

If it doesn't effect you, why the fuck bother making a comment? Why bother making comment just to say a thread doesn't relate to you? You're a humorless fuck and the suggestion of blowing your brains out was merely an suggestion that might brighten your loved one's day.

I'm the humorless fuck? Ha ha ha...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I'm the humorless fuck? Ha ha ha...

Well, it would be more funny if you seperated your medulla oblongata from your spine with a Beretta, but yeah your little self-righteous baby-daddy rant pretty much puts you in the humorless fuck category.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:31 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:I'm the humorless fuck? Ha ha ha...

Well, it would be more funny if you seperated your medulla oblongata from your spine with a Beretta, but yeah your little self-righteous baby-daddy rant pretty much puts you in the humorless fuck category.

Dude, that Golden Girls DVD sure put you in a surly mood.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm writing my own screenplay.

It's about a man who discovers that he has the psychic ability to SMELL the events of the future.

I'm calling it "Nostrildamus".
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:16 pm

Nostrildamnyoutoo.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 am

I miss The Office. I could read some of their fan fiction but, instead I'm looking upon it as an opportunity to get more done.

like sleep
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:16 pm

birds feeding, sunsets.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:06 pm

I'm taking the time to catch up on series that I've always wanted to watch, but never got around to. Battlestar Galactica, several HBO shows, and I'll try to cram Heroes in so by the time I'm done, the show should be back to new episodes.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Can you believe this shit is still ongoing?

(the WGA strike, not white_rabbit's bizarre snit about Existentialism)

EW.com actually put up a very well-thought-out pieceon how this strike could be over in three days, but won't.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 pm

I've got "Rescue Me" DVDs arriving fast and furious via NetFlix. The writers deserve a substantial cut from the sales of that kind of thing, as shows like RM rely heavily on excellent writing and are given legs in the DVD market.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm

bbopdaily wrote:of course one sides with the writers

If I may play Devil's advocate - why is it assumed that the writers are in the right here?

If one accepts that writers should retain rights and/or a financial interest for their material even when it's written under contract for a parent company, then shouldn't chemists retain some financial interest in the drugs they create for pharmaceutical companies? Should the folks who design new burgers for Wendy's get a percentage of all future sales? Should game designers retain the rights to their characters and profit from all future incarnations?

In summary: Should a contracted employee really expect to retain a monetary interest in the product they developed for a parent company? Why?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:43 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:In summary: Should a contracted employee really expect to retain a monetary interest in the product they developed for a parent company? Why?

I'm not entirely versed on the structure of the previous CBA for the writers, but there was no negotiated position for "new media" usage of their product.

So the bottom line answer to your posit is that yes, there should be some forward-projected compensation for people who produce something, even under contract. Whether it's an up-front estimation, a percentage agreement, or even a waiver in the contract that states any work product becomes sole property of the contracting agency, there should be something that addresses future use.

bbopdaily made a resoundingly un-thought out comment, but I'm not exceptionally surprised given the chatspeak s/he was slangin' up top. But it's true; the writers are more right than the suits.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:30 pm

To answer the original question, "What are you going to watch?" the answer is: I finally subscribed to Netflix.

No cable at my house, and I hate reality shows, so the pickings were already slim, but I have DVDs showing up in my mailbox every couple of days. Nice.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm still watching CBS Sunday Morning and America's Funniest Videos. I try to only watch the first few minutes of Leno. No cable. I miss The Office. (but in Fan Fiction, Jim nails Pam sooner, rather than later.) I oughta try Ugly Betty. But if I'm desperate, there's plenty of entertainment online. There's always the entertainment of creative productivity.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV