MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Commercials

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Commercials

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Refugee IL wrote:The http://www.hupy.com website lists seven office locations. Three of them are in Illinois. If that's what you call a "straight up" Milwaukee business, that's your prerogative I suppose.

My own personal idea of a local business is one that's licensed in only one municipality / state. I'd prefer to be represented by a lawyer who knows Wisconsin law inside and out, over one who knows just enough to pass bar exams in multiple states.

I know H&A is a Milwaukee firm from the Milw scene, and because Hupy frequents our favorite Milwaukee cigar lounge (in fact, he stopped in the last time I was there).

But I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it, so I did a quick search and found a Milwaukee Community Journal article about the firm.

From the piece: "Hupy & Abraham has a long and colorful history in the Milwaukee community, and it proudly traces its roots back to Attorney Lloyd Barbee, who started the Milwaukee Public School Integration lawsuit."

And both Hupy and Abraham graduated from Marquette law school in, you know, Milwaukee.

Is that Milwaukee enough for you? Or does a company lose its hometown identification if it grows beyond the borders of the town or the state?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 pm

The Mad City Windows guy has got to stop. He uses every tacky, overused cliche from my 10th grade marketing class in his ad. His voice grates on me and steers me to switch channels as soon as I hear him.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I see Feiner Furniture is running their going out of business ads again. They have been doing that on and off for at least a couple years. I though there was a law against that. They either need to actually go out of business or stop claiming so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I see Feiner Furniture is running their going out of business ads again. They have been doing that on and off for at least a couple years. I though there was a law against that. They either need to actually go out of business or stop claiming so.

I think that's the one out in Cross Plains or Black Earth that actually is going out of business.

I just heard one of theirs that said this is the LAST WEEK. So we'll see if they're still running them next week.

But yes, there is some state law about businesses that are perpetually closing, but I don't know the specifics. I think Jack's Shoes on State Street got hit with it a while back.

There are these really creepy Kessler's ads on the radio that are just a couple seconds long, usually a woman saying something like "She LOVES Kessler's." And that's it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:11 pm

It's not tv, but I prefer the screeching of the Emergency Broadcast System tests over the radio ads of Richard Kessler.

The jewelry store one-upmanship can end any day now.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:There are these really creepy Kessler's ads on the radio that are just a couple seconds long, usually a woman saying something like "She LOVES Kessler's." And that's it.

You beat me to the punch.

Too funny.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 pm

And what's with the Furniture Steals & Deals?

Haven't they been going out of business since they opened?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 pm

It's an annual rite of Spring, which is good because it only lasts a few weeks, but the ads they run when the circus comes to town make my ears bleed.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Refugee IL » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 am

Ducatista wrote:...Hupy frequents our favorite Milwaukee cigar lounge (in fact, he stopped in the last time I was there)...

...I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it...

...Hupy and Abraham graduated from Marquette law school in, you know, Milwaukee...

Meow. Excuse me for expressing an opinion. Thanks so much for the warm welcome too.

I think I'll stick with Corboy for all my PI litigation needs.

Off to friendlier pastures...
Refugee IL

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:46 am

Remember_Me wrote:And what's with the Furniture Steals & Deals?

Haven't they been going out of business since they opened?

From last July: State will investigate Furniture Deals and Steals.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

gargantua wrote:It's an annual rite of Spring, which is good because it only lasts a few weeks, but the ads they run when the circus comes to town make my ears bleed.

"Come to the circus. You'll love the circus. The greatest show in town." Make me puke. Year after year after year, the same fucking "song".

A new one I've seen twice and really hate already. "Hi, Tony Little here for the Wisconsin Lottery." State goes with the juicer-steroid-hyper type to pitch its sales. Professional grade annoying.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Refugee IL » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 am

doppel wrote:"Come to the circus. You'll love the circus. The greatest show in town." Make me puke. Year after year after year, the same fucking "song".

...Professional grade annoying.

Funny, I always imagined it was done by somebody's relative in a bedroom "studio". I don't have perfect pitch, but the singer has gotta be off-key. It's probably the least excited voice in the world. That's the part that bugs me the most. *shiver*
Refugee IL

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I see Feiner Furniture is running their going out of business ads again. They have been doing that on and off for at least a couple years. I though there was a law against that. They either need to actually go out of business or stop claiming so.

I think that's the one out in Cross Plains or Black Earth that actually is going out of business.

I just heard one of theirs that said this is the LAST WEEK. So we'll see if they're still running them next week.

Just heard it again ... "it all ends at 5pm on Sunday."

Unless "it" is the business day, which just starts up again 10am Monday morning.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Refugee IL wrote:Meow. Excuse me for expressing an opinion. Thanks so much for the warm welcome too.

...Off to friendlier pastures...

What the... ah, posted at 1:40am. Cheers! Glad to see you haven't abandoned the pasture on my account.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 am

The horrible Russian mafia couple is back on early morning TV. Only they must have hired a consultant.

They no longer say "You want money? We want your gold," which caused me nightmares when they first came on.

They both got makeovers and instead of standing in their store in Stoughton, now they are all dressed up and placed in front of a lit gas fireplace. Very cozy!

A lot of suckers must have fallen for their first series of ads.......now they can afford better marketing to go after a different potential clientele.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to TV