MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

DTV - What are you doing?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

What are you doing for DTV?

I'm all set with cable/satelite
75%
I'm getting a converter
25%
I don't own a TV
No votes

Total votes : 16

DTV - What are you doing?

Postby bluethedog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Just wondering what others are doing for the mandatory DTV taking effect next year. I'm a rabbit ears guy and still not sure what I'll do.

Leaning towards nothing and seeing how no TV goes. But worried if I do that there will be a rebound effect where I go out and get a fancy new TV and satelite dish.

Ordered the coupon just in case.

Does it seem weird to anyone else the amount of advertising (warning people about the deadline) that is occuring for this thing? You'd think the vested interests would be giving away the converters for free.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DTV - What are you doing?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

We have cable, so we're good for now. And one of our TVs has a digital tuner built in, so it will be fine with rabbit ears if we drop cable. I'll probably get the government rebate and buy a converter for our other, older set, just because. I like to tinker.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:18 pm

You skipped the "buy a new digital TV" option.

I have a little one I bought a year ago because I wanted something flat and compact and I don't have or really want to pay for cable. So I watch the news and broadcast stuff on that. My bigger TV is already pretty much used only for DVD viewing (I don't need to see sitcoms on a big screen), so it will probably just become a dedicated movie machine after Feb. I know I could get a converter cheap, but even without cable I've got way too much A/V crap going on as it is.

What do you want to bet that in a couple of years you can pick up a converter box for a few bucks at every other garage sale? (Not to mention old CRT technology.)
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 pm

The poll results also didn't include "ditch the TV."

I did get a converter box, but I hardly watch TV anymore anyway. Maybe with the new fall season something will catch me interest, but my reception sucks, and there are so many other options for entertainment and news.

Between Netflix, streaming movies and TV shows, watching archived TV shows on the web, news web sites and services (major news outlets with print and video, blogs, RSS, TDPF, etc.), the idea of both sitting through the commercials and having my viewing dictated by time of broadcast just isn't appealing.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:48 pm

I have a dvr and cable. the last time I watched broadcast TV (with the exception of local news and the odd Conan) was the finale of LOST. And I didn't watch it live either, recorded it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Converter and antenna in a box. I hate wires. I'll wait until next Feb. and maybe get rid of the heavy 18" cube I've got. Maybe son will trade me his little Polaroid. If I had my druthers, I'd run everything through my Mac.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:55 pm

get yourself some bit torrent, and you'll never need TV. download everything*. Pirate Bay and Mininova, I've never missed a show.

*i do not endorse pirating music or movies, but over the air TV is fair game in my limited moral compass.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Well, I DTV converter boxed up today.

My friends can no longer mock me for having only 6 channels.

With my DTV...I got 12.

How you like me now, bitches?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:42 pm

We got our two converter boxes hooked up already (you need that option on the poll). Waiting for a third coupon from someone who ordered them for me but doesn't need them herself. Reception is great, extra channels are nice, just hate juggling two remotes...haven't figured out how to do everything through the one tiny remote, yet. Also, tiny remotes get lost easily in the couch or bed...that's a pain.
Last edited by Violet_Skye on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 am

My reception is generally better but there's sort of a wave, maybe more of a shimmer on all the channels. No it's not a shimmer either. A pulse?

It seems to work better with the power to the rabbit ears turned off.

Does anyone have advice for getting the best digital reception (short of a roof antenna)?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 am

We got a box for our old and very analog teevee. We have two sets of rabbit ears in our house and the powered ones seem to work better in terms of overall reception. The WPT stations come in the best all the time and the WB is shitty most of the time. We're not all that high up over here on the east side so I doubt we're getting the best reception possible. Everything I've read online about using rabbit ears is "don't, your reception will suck" but I don't have an aerial on my roof nor am I about to put one up.

We do have basic basic cable since we have high speed internet and if you get no cable with that they charge you $10 for nothing or you can get basic basic for $12. Yea Charter! Our idea was to ditch cable (and maybe find a different internet hookup) if the box gave us enough of what we wanted but it isn't looking as promising as we'd hoped. Plus when the plains fly over the signal vanishes for 30 seconds and I'm not quite used to how lame that is yet.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 pm

I've got Charter extended basic, but not Charter digital. I've also got an analog TV. So will I have to rent a box from Charter on February 17, 2009?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I've got Charter extended basic, but not Charter digital. I've also got an analog TV. So will I have to rent a box from Charter on February 17, 2009?

As far as I know, the signal from Charter for basic and extended basic will still be analog, converted on their end.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I've got Charter extended basic, but not Charter digital. I've also got an analog TV. So will I have to rent a box from Charter on February 17, 2009?

No.

The NTSC format is going away for over-the-air broadcasters (OTA). This is to open up public airwaves and provide the many advantages that digital broadcasting allows. Charter doesn't broadcast over the air - and they convert the signals they receive for you, so they can continue to use the NTSC format on their cable lines - because it won't interfere with any public broadcasts.

Your TV must have an ATSC tuner in order to receive the OTA broadcast channels. Check your manual - or look it up online. If you do not have an ATSC tuner and you want to watch over-the-air broadcasts, then you should order the converter box - which has an ATSC tuner inside it. If you never plan to do this with your television (if you will always have cable), then you don't need a converter even if you have an analog television, because cable providers will NEVER be required to change their format. They may eventually stop broadcasting in analog, but I doubt it - and that's up to them. It's not related to the Feb 17, 2009 date in any way.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DTV - What are you doing?

Postby Logjam » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:05 am

I've got the digital converter and rabbit ears. It all works great except for CBS which has an excessive amount of digital farts and pauses and makes watching things like the Packers and Colts game an exercise in patience. I couldn't take it anymore and skipped 60 minutes for that reason.

Anybody else? Any solutions?
Logjam
Forum Addict

Next

Return to TV