MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cramer v. Stewart

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Cramer v. Stewart

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 pm

It's been clear to me as long as I've been putting money into a retirement account that there are at least two kinds of people who work in professional finance.

1) The guy from Baird or whatever who comes into your break room at work and explains why long-term investing has traditionally returned a good amount of money and why you should be putting money into a mutual fund instead of a savings account.

2) The people who love the whole cult/frat of finance, love to throw the lingo around and pass on legends of people (like Cramer) who have gamed the system and made millions doing so.

On a personal level, I've always hated #2. A good friend of mine used to trade on the Chicago Board of Options Exchange and the stories about his fellow traders, while amusing, were ultimately pathetic. If you've read Michael Lewis' seminal book "Liar's Poker," you have some indication of this. Po Bronson's novel (can't remember the title) is similar. These are the people who look at Madoff with envy instead of disgust.

I think that's what Stewart was talking about with Cramer.

This idea that you're an idiot if you thought your money was going to be safe and that it's all a gamble might ultimately be true. But it excuses all the shitty behavior that has not only been allowed to take place, but celebrated by a lot of people, including some on this thread and it undermines the good work that the guy from Baird is trying to do.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Yep. Another frequently dispensed piece of advice for small investors is: Don't pick stocks.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:
1) The guy from Baird or whatever who comes into your break room at work and explains why long-term investing has traditionally returned a good amount of money and why you should be putting money into a mutual fund instead of a savings account.

You sound like you're describing a 401K manager. With the exception of buying your own company's stock, 401K investment options are basically confined to mutual/index funds. There's a very good chance that this "guy from Baird" was offering mutual funds, simply because that was the sole option available to employees.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:23 pm

People who get their news and commentary from the Jon Stewart are no different than those who rely on Rush Limbaugh for news and commentary.

Both Stewart and Limbaugh are very biased, which is fine as long as you keep that in mind.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Huckleby wrote:People who get their news and commentary from the Jon Stewart are no different than those who rely on Rush Limbaugh for news and commentary.

Both Stewart and Limbaugh are very biased, which is fine as long as you keep that in mind.

Except that Jon Stewart is funny, entertaining and doesn't take himself seriously whereas Limbaugh can lay claim to none of those attributes.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:17 am

Sometimes Stewart takes himself seriously - like in this latest episode.

Limbaugh is just as funny and entertaining to his own tribe as Stewart. Stewart is more of an intellectual, true, but Limbaugh is highly intelligent too. Stewart is just as ideologically narrow and predictable as Limbaugh.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 am

Huckleby wrote:People who get their news and commentary from the Jon Stewart are no different than those who rely on Rush Limbaugh for news and commentary.

I appreciate what you're trying to do here, Huckleby, but you know very well that our talking point is that Michael Moore, not Jon Stewart, is the left's equivalent of Rush.

When you go off-message, it makes our side look sloppy. Just watch it from now on, OK?
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:20 am

The news media is mostly about itself or the process, assumes viewers lack of memory, and is some version of the "Wizard of Oz." "Don't pay attention to that man behind the curtain." :shock:
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:27 am

Talon Newsman wrote:

I appreciate what you're trying to do here, Huckleby, but you know very well that our talking point is that Michael Moore, not Jon Stewart, is the left's equivalent of Rush.

When you go off-message, it makes our side look sloppy. Just watch it from now on, OK?

you just think a fat man is not good enough to be compared to a thin man.

Fatist!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:23 am

I thought Jon Stewart was great, but then he always is. What would we do without him, and Stephen Colbert.

I saw this video on Salon.
Kenyatta

Previous

Return to TV