MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Yes, I'm Starting a Topic on American Idol....

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Yes, I'm Starting a Topic on American Idol....

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Tue May 19, 2009 11:11 pm

TAsunder wrote:Years ago I voted once in a while. Back when I used to watch more than once or twice per season. I often wonder how their vote tabulation system works. On the one hand, they like to puff up the numbers by reporting the number of votes instead of voters. On the other hand, they surely don't want to be subject to the whims of the few who have multi-line autodialer banks and/or pc programs to spam calls. Other shows like it have openly stated that you can vote a certain # of times. AI just has a nebulous statement about the voting system in the lightning-fast closing credits.

The number of votes thing is misleading. So is it hard to get through when you call? I did think about voting for Sanjaya, but never got around to it.

The last song those guys sang tonight was horrible, way to show off your writing skills Kara.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby Farmchick » Wed May 20, 2009 12:36 am

K been watchin on the dvr. "Paula's into the herky (her spinning hand gestures?? ), Simon's wearing buttons" -- I heart Ryan Seacrest. Meanwhile, Adam rocked Kara's song - love how he stands still. Nothing "theatrical" about that. Can you imagine Gokey cavorting all over the stage with his lame-ass dancing???? This woulda been a slaughter! Kris makes the song sound as lame as it is, tho, no boundaries on bad songs LOL. So Adam clearly wins the sing-off. But "me and Adam, we aren't competing," Kris sez. Ha. Love the home-sweet-home montage. I don't have to vote cuz Madeline already did like 30 times, didn't ya? I am curious about the counts. Wonder if the contestants know? Like, could they ask which song got them the most votes, and sing that one. I DID vote once, against the beatbox dweeb!
Farmchick

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 20, 2009 8:14 am

MeLurkyLongTime wrote:The number of votes thing is misleading. So is it hard to get through when you call? I did think about voting for Sanjaya, but never got around to it.

The last song those guys sang tonight was horrible, way to show off your writing skills Kara.

It depends on various things, but it is typically rather difficult to get through. The busy signal is in fact (or was) the basis for several metric-based prediction sites, such as dialidol. They basically calculate the % of busy times and then predict whom will be voted in and out based on that.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madeline » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I see that my evil plan to engage Forons in discussion of such "low brow" culture as American Idol as worked. We're at 2 pages now!

Anyways, Farm Chick, I actually only voted 4 times, and that was by text message, because I have AT&T. I heard that last night was particularly difficult for fans voting by traditional phone.

And yes, Kara's song was "atrocious," as Simon would say. I thought that both Kris and Adam sounded bad on it. If two very different voices can sound awful singing the same song, then I blame the song writer.
Madeline

Postby Learned » Wed May 20, 2009 1:26 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I've never seen this show. And I watch a buttload of TV.

+1.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Madeline wrote:I see that my evil plan to engage Forons in discussion of such "low brow" culture as American Idol as worked. We're at 2 pages now!

Now you need to start a thread on Daisy of Love or New York Goes to Work and see if you can really corrupt the masses.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to TV