MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Letterman: victim or predator?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Letterman: victim or predator?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:54 pm

jjoyce wrote:We're pretty locally focused at TDP, but I wouldn't mind having a timely item on l'affair Letterman right now.

Oh, to answer my own question, maybe both.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Letterman: victim or predator?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Consensual sex - Not a Crime
Extortion - Crime

There's some gray are since he was her superior but I'm not even sure that is the case. Letterman is an employee of Worldwide Pants his production company. His special lady friends were employees of CBS.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Hard to say since none of us know him personally. Also, we haven't heard anything from the ladies he Bubba'd.
Not sure about him being a predator or a victim. Pretty harsh terms. He's the boss though, and with that responsibility lies the blame.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:50 am

Unethical? Yes. Predator? Not unless some charges are leveled by one of the women he was involved with. I know one at least has stated publicly after all this came to light that he was the best boss ever. No hard feelings there, it seems.

Innocent until proven guilty, folks. What's more, let's acknowledge that Letterman could have paid this guy off without feeling it in the pocketbook. While I wouldn't call his personal behavior admirable, I would say his setting this fuckin' amateur extortionist up for a sting knowing all this would come out and he'd have to go public was a pretty brave move.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Written laws have to draw bright lines and be black-and-white about it, but the real world is full of nuance. Who's a victim and who's a predator doesn't always start the day someone turns 18, or the day people's behavior becomes a matter of public discussion. A sexual encounter that's a huge trauma to one person might be a lark to another in the same situation. Extortion could be hushed up (Rembert Weakland, anyone remember him?), or could be played for laughs. Not only context, but personal responses define how a situation unfolds.

We know very little about these women (I assume it's all women) or how they acted or how they defined their experiences. Monica Lewinski was never that much of a victim -- hell, she just about brought down a presidency and in another time and place would have been the subject of sagas and epic poems. Any player has the leverage to redefine the context of a story if they seize the opportunity. I'm with Uncle Leaver on this one. It's time to quit reflexively declaring the woman (or the younger adult, or the person lower on the corporate hierarchy) in these situations as the victim. Every story is different.

It's time the US took a more, well, European attitude toward adult consensual sex. We are not talking about some creepy priest and a bunch of little boys here, we're talking about functioning employed grown-ups. Sure, they may have done some dumb stuff, but who hasn't (or hasn't yet) in one way or another? Entertaining, yes. Criminal, no. That's for bigger stuff.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:07 pm

He's still doing Stupid Human Tricks? Wow.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Return to TV