MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A pie in the face

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

A pie in the face

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 am

RIP Soupy Sales.

His show was must see TV in the '50s. He always pushed the edge. Two of his characters were White Fang and Black Tooth. He was teaching one or the other (can't remember the details) the alphabet, using a chalk board. Soupy wrote the letter F. Fang (or Tooth) said K. Soupy erased the F and then wrote it bigger. The hand puppet again said K. The next F took up the entire board. Again, it was read as a K. Finally an exasperated Soupy asked him: "How come everytime I write F you see K?" Spelling out fuck on a children's TV show was very brave during those puritanical times.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A pie in the face

Postby kiwiwannabe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

I remember going to Gramma's as a kid and watching Soupy. We didn't have a TV at home, so it was always such a treat. I liked him so much more than the other kiddy TV at the time (Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, the local stuff).

It took me a long time to figure out why my mom was laughing at different times than I was. So many shows since then have done this sort of kid stuff/adult innuendo comedy well. Lately, it's the animation shows that have taken this genre over completely.

He was a lot younger than I thought!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Return to TV