MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

LOST Season 6: "It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!"

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: LOST Season 6: "It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!"

Postby depinmad » Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

the kimmel endings were jokes. dude if you didn't watch this season why pipe up now?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Sounds like some of you weren't taking the LOST drinking game serioulsy enough. Really, if you just took a swig whenever Hurley said "Dude" or Des said "Brotha", the whole series would have explained itself.
I went to bed happy.

http://culturepopped.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -game.html
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 6:44 pm

depinmad wrote:the kimmel endings were jokes. dude if you didn't watch this season why pipe up now?

Cause I watched the first five seasons, the last three of this season, got caught up with the catchup show, and I have an opinion.

So okay the alts weren't alts. The rest of it stands. They didn't have an ending till season three or four, maybe later, and in fact the last half of the arc was a race to take the random stuff they were throwing out in the first half and put it together in some sort of plot that people could follow.

Granted, it was interesting and fun. But because they crafted the ending based on the plot twists they created with no ending in mind, there was no doubt they were going to disappoint a lot of the audience.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 24, 2010 8:51 pm

rabble wrote:But because they crafted the ending based on the plot twists they created with no ending in mind, there was no doubt they were going to disappoint a lot of the audience.

The second half of that sentence would be true even if the first half is not. There was never any possibility of crafting an ending that would satisfy everyone because different viewers wanted different things.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:There was never any possibility of crafting an ending that would satisfy everyone because different viewers wanted different things.

Okay, that too. I think the percentage of pissed off viewers was higher because they couldn't tie in everything they threw out during the first two seasons, but yes. No way they were ever going to please everybody.

And I think it's an amazing feat that they did as well as they did. It is no small task to be as creative as they were, giving the actors room to make the characters their own, pay attention to detail, and combine so many myths and legends with so many of their own twists.

I wish they'd take credit for that rather than pretend this is what they were going to do right from the beginning, but I do give credit where credit is due. You can't do a show like that by phoning it in.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV