MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Conan addresses "People of Earth"

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Conan addresses "People of Earth"

Postby mrak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

rabble wrote:So... because the income for the spot after Leno's show had dropped, the affiliates were going to respond by preempting Leno's show, where the income had not dropped.

Hmm... the only thing I really take issue with here is your claim that Leno's show did not reduce advertising revenues.

That may be true compared to his old time slot, but compared to the prime-time programming he replaced, his show probably brought in a lot less money. (The graph on the left compares new vs. old viewership in a key demographic.)

If viewers are down, so are ad revenues.

NBC was OK with receiving a lot less prime-time ad revenue for Leno, because his show cost them a fraction of what they were paying for the drama series it replaced.

But the local stations didn't benefit from those cost savings. Their important time slot is the late local news, which cost as much as ever to produce, but was getting a significantly reduced audience because the viewers tuned away from Leno during the preceding hour.

In summary...

On the network level: Significantly less revenue, offset by huge cost savings = acceptable.

On the local level: Significantly less revenue, but no cost savings = unacceptable.

But I also get what you're saying about pre-emption by the local stations. What did they think they could possibly come up with on their own, that would improve on even Leno's meager ratings?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 pm

mrak wrote:But I also get what you're saying about pre-emption by the local stations. What did they think they could possibly come up with on their own, that would improve on even Leno's meager ratings?

American Idol re-runs.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 pm

mrak wrote:Hmm... the only thing I really take issue with here is your claim that Leno's show did not reduce advertising revenues.

I'm going on Hucklebee's statement
4) NBC is forced by affiliates to cancel Leno's show, even though Leno is still drawing more than any other evening talk show.

Which sounded to me like the show wasn't tanking. Then the talk turned to all the bad 'tings that happened in the time slot filled by Carrot Head. So I thought it was all about after Leno's show. But what the hell do I know? Like I said, I don't understand show biz.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Leno was getting about the same audience size at earlier hour as his old show. The error was with the network bosses for not forseeing a revolt from the affiliates. Or maybe they secretly were counting on Leno to do better, who knows.

Conan got screwed. The problem is that one of the three parties had to get the short end of the stick. Leno & NBC preferred that it be Conan. I don't feel too sorry for Conan, he is an employee, and management not following-through on promises to employees is the way of the world.

Didn't Conan start out with Fox as a writer on the Simpsons? Well, he's just back at his same old used to be.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 am

rabble wrote:
4) NBC is forced by affiliates to cancel Leno's show, even though Leno is still drawing more than any other evening talk show.

Which sounded to me like the show wasn't tanking. Then the talk turned to all the bad 'tings that happened in the time slot filled by Carrot Head. So I thought it was all about after Leno's show. But what the hell do I know? Like I said, I don't understand show biz.

OK. Well, it might be helpful to keep in mind that in general, network programming in prime time (i.e., before the late local news) typically draws a much larger audience than in the late night hours after the local news.

Leno's audience in his new show has been bigger than that of his late-night counterparts. But that doesn't make it big enough for prime time.

Hope that helps.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:13 am

Huckleby wrote:Conan got screwed. The problem is that one of the three parties had to get the short end of the stick. Leno & NBC preferred that it be Conan. I don't feel too sorry for Conan, he is an employee, and management not following-through on promises to employees is the way of the world.

And financially, Conan will come out of this far better than most of said employees. (Gawker is calling this "The Week We Took Sides in a Fight Between Millionaires".)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 pm

mrak wrote:
rabble wrote:

OK. Well, it might be helpful to keep in mind that in general, network programming in prime time (i.e., before the late local news) typically draws a much larger audience than in the late night hours after the local news.

Leno's audience in his new show has been bigger than that of his late-night counterparts. But that doesn't make it big enough for prime time.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, not much. Did you just say that point number 4 is right, wrong, or irrelevant?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Can Jay, Conan or Dave do this?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 am

Pretty damn good. $5 says neil will add the song to his next tour.

I remember NY performed "Sweet Home Alabama" with Lynyrd Skynyrd a few times.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 am

I take back everything bad I've ever said about Jimmy Fallon. Except I still think his band sucks.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 pm

The weirdest thing in all of this has been the fan hatred - if you looked at any other "save my favorite show" campaign, I can't imagine that there would have been outrage about moving the desired show back at a new time.

If I had to pick one as my favorite it would be Letterman, but it isn't because I think his show is genius or anything - as with all of them, the hits/at bats ratio for their jokes hovers around the Mendoza line, even on a good night. The biggest gripe about Leno seems to be about the people that like his show. Those mouth-breathing hayseeds can't grasp the comedy genius that is The Masturbating Bear.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 pm

I wonder if Conan will get to do his show this week. I would think NBC would prefer to yank him and show reruns.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Those mouth-breathing hayseeds can't grasp the comedy genius that is The Masturbating Bear.

There has never been one thing as funny as The Masturbating Bear that came out of Jay or his version of The Tonight Show.

So no new Conando tonight? Was this a planned leave? Will he be back at all? Olympics are starting up and I'm pretty sure that preempts the late night schedule.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV