MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pimping the Moose

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Pimping the Moose

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:34 pm

This article claims the band Pomplamoose is completely viral and whatnot. Also that everybody has seen their Hyundai ad. I've never heard of them or seen the car ad before today, but hey, it's Christmas! Give up the holly jolly.

A few opinions:
! hipsters *shudder*
! the talented beardo dude would probably be nowheresville without the MaggieGyllenhaalfaceJustinBieberhaircut chick
! I seriously love it when bands video themselves recording the individual tracks and piece 'em together later
! their cover of Beat It is an ambitious failure
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pimping the Moose

Postby oranger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 pm

After watching that Hyundai ad two hundred times over the course of the last five Packer games I had to figure out who they were. I wouldn't call being broadcast to millions of viewers during football games viral. I don't think I'll by their C.D. but I am thinking about buying a Hyundai.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I've seen that ad way too many times. Doesn't make me want to buy a Hyundai in the least, maybe even steels my resolve to never buy one.

The first time the ad came on I thought the company decided to create a fake, lame, calculated quirky, hipster douche bag band like Best Coast because Best Coast were already whoring themselves out for a beer company and big box retailer and were not available.

Not that it matters, since both of these acts suck anyway and if either of them pushes you over the edge to buy something, your closets are already full of Sham-Wows, blankets with sleeves, and Kevin Trudeau books.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:17 pm

At first I disliked the commercials but then I became kind of enamored with them, to the point where I watched a few put up on Youtube by Hyundai's marketing firm. They also had a series of "Making Of" videos with the two bandmembers, who claim that Hyundai called them out of the blue, gave them creative control on the songs and that they filmed it all in their garage. I think that is pretty cool [link].
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I knew who they were right away and was kind of excited to see that they "made it." Not sure what it will do for their careers, but I first saw them maybe two years ago on youtube, though I'm not sure exactly how I stumbled across them.

They have kind of a cute schtick where they show the music as it's being made, so if she's doing four vocal overlays, the screen shows her four times, plus his drumming, guitar playing, etc. She has a haunting voice and a very attractive "girl-next-door" look to her.

I like their video of My Favorite things
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I just wanted to correct Walter - Best Coast are pretty good.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV