MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The Killing

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

The Killing

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 am

Anyone watch the two-hour premiere on AMC Sunday night? I'm already hooked; it reminds me of a more serious, dramatic version of Twin Peaks, written without the benefit of an acid trip.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Killing

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 am

I thought you were confessing to Nicole Brown-Simpson's murder.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:45 am

I did. I am really excited for the rest of the season. My SO thought it was too slow. I haven't seen the second one yet. I can watch it on demand when he is not around. It seems to me that television has gotten so much better in recent years (at least cable series). I enjoy them like I used to enjoy movies.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:50 am

i like the acting of the two lead detectives. the portentious music and all the plot points i've seen on a million other better previous shows can go.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm

depinmad wrote:i like the acting of the two lead detectives. the portentious music and all the plot points i've seen on a million other better previous shows can go.

What, you mean like the "the day I retire a big case comes in" trope, or the "young partner trying to prove his worth" trope, or the "there's a mole in our campaign" trope, or what? Be specific here... this show has a lot of them!

I enjoy this show despite some of the cliches - I'd rather have a 13 episode season about one mystery that's full of cliches (see: Veronica Mars) than 13 episodes with 13 mysteries that are full of cliches (see: every other procedural show on TV currently).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 pm

OK, now that the first season has wrapped up...any thoughts? Any theories on what is really going on here?
babelfish

Postby anaranjado » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:33 pm

I am disappointed. I agree that it was full of cliches and improbabilities (like the scene at the hospital where the wife of the man who was almost beaten to death doesn't recognize Stan while talking with him at the vending machine), but I still liked it. I am a sucker for who-done-it type shows.
I think most viewers expected an answer to the question of who killed Rosie at the end of the season. To drag it out another whole season (or longer?) seems lazy and just a reaction to the fact that their show was renewed for another season.
I liked Holder and I found it improbable that he would photoshop or present misleading evidence without covering his bases. Last night's show seemed thrown together to me. It could have been much smarter. Director Veena Sud is not nearly as smart and "ground-breaking" as she is claiming to be...
anaranjado

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 pm

I agree to an extent. I don't mind a bit of a cliffhanger, but that was somewhat unsatisfying. And yeah the wife of the teacher would know exactly who Stan was...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:18 am

I agree with both of you that Amber Ahmed certainly should have recognized her husband's attacker. I liked the scene, though, because it added some depth to Stan's character, something that has been lacking in The Killing. I really enjoyed Episode 11(Missing), which finally delved into the Holder/Linden relationship, adding background to each of them, helping the viewer get a better feel for them. At this point, I was pretty sure the killer wasn't going to be revealed this season, or else this episode would have taken place much earlier. I actually started to get upset midway through the finale, when it seemed that the reveal might occur. I can't understand the negative reactions towards the decision to leave the crime unsolved until next season; it seemed like it was the plan from early on, and the slow pace of the show warranted a protracted investigation. After all, the insistence on naming Laura Palmer's killer was a major pitfall for Twin Peaks.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:21 am

anaranjado wrote: To drag it out another whole season (or longer?) seems lazy and just a reaction to the fact that their show was renewed for another season.

I don't know if she was lying, but Veena Sud said that the finale was shot before they got the thumbs up for Season 2; if it got cancelled after one season, that would have been a brutal cliffhanger.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 am

TAsunder wrote:What, you mean like the "the day I retire a big case comes in" trope, or the "young partner trying to prove his worth" trope, or the "there's a mole in our campaign" trope, or what? Be specific here... this show has a lot of them!

I enjoy this show despite some of the cliches - I'd rather have a 13 episode season about one mystery that's full of cliches (see: Veronica Mars) than 13 episodes with 13 mysteries that are full of cliches (see: every other procedural show on TV currently).

Haven't seen the show because I don't have cable but here's a fun link to tropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage?from=Main.Main

Plus, I got hooked on ABCs "Life on Mars" a couple of years ago simply because I knew it was going to end and it would be wrapped up like a book.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby KarenRules » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:29 am

I loved this show but was really disappointed on how the first season ended. I was like, "WTH???!!" :x
KarenRules

Return to TV