MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby jman111 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:25 pm

buckyor wrote:Snark coming from someone who likes Big Bang Theory? Meh.

Oooh, Bazinga!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:The Venture Brothers

YESSSSSSS!!!
Kyle Motor wrote:I dig Archer, but haven't seen anything from Season 2 yet.

I've tried to love Archer -- and it seems like it's right up my alley -- but I just don't. (Full disclosure: I found Frisky Dingo to be pretty much unwatchable.)

I've only watched the first half-season, but my take is that the show thinks it can coast on the charms of the voice-cast (which is generally great, to be sure, although I do find the casting of Chris Parnell as a straight-man puzzling) without bothering to write clever stories. Maybe it's that I just can't help but compare it to Venture Bros., which I think is pure genius. Does it get better as it goes along or have I seen all the tricks up its sleeve already? I'm sure I'll finish watching them all someday, but I ain't compelled to watch them all right now like I am whenever there's new VB eps available.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm

CSI = Murder She Scrote

Hate the Suicide Girl lab technician (oops sorry, that's the equally awful NCIS).
Hate the flashy, inaccurate, totally non-realistic crime solving techniques. It's like that show Las Vegas, only without the good cast and breezy script.
Love the theme song though.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've tried to love Archer -- and it seems like it's right up my alley -- but I just don't. (Full disclosure: I found Frisky Dingo to be pretty much unwatchable.)

I've only watched the first half-season, but my take is that the show thinks it can coast on the charms of the voice-cast

I find it fascination that the head of ISIS and the head of the rival spy org (can't remember the name) are voiced by the Jessica Walter and Jeffery Tambor, who were married on Arrested Development.

Judy Greer was also in both.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu May 26, 2011 2:53 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've tried to love Archer -- and it seems like it's right up my alley -- but I just don't. (Full disclosure: I found Frisky Dingo to be pretty much unwatchable.)

I've only watched the first half-season, but my take is that the show thinks it can coast on the charms of the voice-cast

I find it fascination that the head of ISIS and the head of the rival spy org (can't remember the name) are voiced by the Jessica Walter and Jeffery Tambor, who were married on Arrested Development.

Judy Greer was also in both.

I'm basically sold on anything with H. Jon Benjamin.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:...Arrested Development.

Here's the part where I admit I just don't get the appeal of AD.
I've given it several chances and apart from, IMHO, committing two of the cardinal TV show sins -- voice-over and shaky camera -- I've just never found it very compelling. I want to like it. I love the cast and there's no denying there's some decent gags, but it just wears me down.

So I guess this means y'all can ignore all my other opinions now, right?

Kyle Motor wrote:I'm basically sold on anything with H. Jon Benjamin.

Really? You been watching Bob's Burgers?
Yes, HJB is great. And he's great on Archer. But I don't think a show can just coast on his charms for a full 22-minutes. Better stories, please.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu May 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:I'm basically sold on anything with H. Jon Benjamin.

Really? You been watching Bob's Burgers?
Yes, HJB is great. And he's great on Archer. But I don't think a show can just coast on his charms for a full 22-minutes. Better stories, please.

I haven't seen all of the episodes this season but Bob's Burgers has improved markedly since it started. It hasn't displaced Home Movies in my H. Jon Benjamin top three but it's pretty good.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu May 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Really? You been watching Bob's Burgers?

I've only caught it a couple times, but I have to admit I guffawed heartily at last Sunday's episode.

I think in addition to being inherently funny to me, HJB tends to end up in projects with other comedians/actors/writers that I enjoy.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Emergency! reruns on RTV. Julie London! In tonight's episode, Roy and Gage deal with a freaked out hippie and extricate a guy from a sofa bed.

What is RTV and how can I get it immediately?
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 pm

supaunknown wrote:CSI = Murder She Scrote

Hate the Suicide Girl lab technician (oops sorry, that's the equally awful NCIS).
Hate the flashy, inaccurate, totally non-realistic crime solving techniques. It's like that show Las Vegas, only without the good cast and breezy script.
Love the theme song though.

Seriously? That's every cop show on television. Would anyone watch it if it were realistic? Where is the entertainment value in watching some fat guy place a gun in a plexi-box with ninhydrin and then sit there for the other 38 minutes of air time? I'll grant you the equipment used, the inability to seemingly pay the electric bill for overhead lights and the veritable swath of competencies they all have but hell, comparing it to Murder She Wrote? I'm pretty sure Horatio could kick Angela's ass in a fair fight.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 26, 2011 4:24 pm

c02 wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Hate the flashy, inaccurate, totally non-realistic crime solving techniques.

Would anyone watch it if it were realistic? Where is the entertainment value in watching some fat guy place a gun in a plexi-box with ninhydrin and then sit there for the other 38 minutes of air time?

There's non-realistic and then there's outright lunacy.
Law & Order used to walk that line fairly well, but the new-fangled high-tech setup on SVU is beyond ludicrous.

Anyway, to answer your question, The Wire seemed pretty damn realistic to me in its portrayal of the day-to-day boring bullshit that I imagine really does exist in any real ongoing investigation, and they certainly didn't make use of what I like to call "magic science" to solve any crimes (in fact, come to think of it, throughout its entire run, the poor cops on The Wire really only ever solved a handful of cases -- and even when the cops knew whodunnit, as often as not, nothing came of it.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:15 pm

The Wire was also HBO. I'll leave it at this; I've been in a crime lab and if the likes of CSI were truly realistic, the series would have ended before it began.

I'm with you on Law & Order but the large percentage of cop shows out there are anything but realistic and if you want lunacy, see Hawaii 5-0.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 am

c02 wrote:I'll leave it at this; I've been in a crime lab and if the likes of CSI were truly realistic, the series would have ended before it began.

I'm with you on Law & Order but the large percentage of cop shows out there are anything but realistic and if you want lunacy, see Hawaii 5-0.

So, uh , what's your point? That I should simply turn off my brain and enjoy the pretty colors? I'd love to if CSI wasn't complete crap in every other facet.

I dug The Wire a lot. And I like the various Law & Orders.

Good advice
*Do NOT attend any gathering that Jessica Drake and/or the Harts are at. Chances are near 100% that someone is gonna get killed.
*When there's 3 minutes left in the episode and the cops walk in: keep your trap shut & lawyer up. The last minute confession is the cornerstone of TV crime solving.
*If you're a defendant, NEVER hire Perry Mason as your attorney.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 27, 2011 12:38 pm

mayact4 wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Emergency! reruns on RTV. Julie London! In tonight's episode, Roy and Gage deal with a freaked out hippie and extricate a guy from a sofa bed.

What is RTV and how can I get it immediately?

It is beamed through the sky for free as one of WKOW's digital subchannels, 27.2. It's on Charter at 967.

But it appears WKOW will start airing another reruns network, Me-TV, on that subchannel before long.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 am

It seems that everything I like gets canceled, so I'm hesitant to even enjoy a show. As another no-cable Foron, I'll list my broadcast favorites below. I have a long list of Netflix last-season-and-before DVD favorites, but sometimes I don't get around to them until many seasons later.

I didn't get hooked on The Wire until the full run was over, but then couldn't watch them fast enough. Stayed up way too late some nights because I just had to see one more episode.

Now on, or was on, but maybe canceled:
Bones
House
CSI and CSI:NY (hate David Caruso, so no Miami for me)
Defenders (canceled)
Lie to Me (hanging by a thread)
Chase (hanging by a thread, probably canceled)
Castle
Daily Show (the next day)

Don't ever watch reality shows, no matter how "good." Just hate the format. There are some good comedies - as listed by others - but they just aren't in my "must watch" category.

I love that I can time shift shows by streaming, since I don't have DVR or TiVo. Find it incredibly irritating that House makes you wait 8 days - which means you are missing an episode if you watch it on TV at its regular time.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to TV