MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Possible to stream most Badger Games?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Possible to stream most Badger Games?

Postby Ted » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 am

I would like to dump my satellite dish, but the only thing keeping me from doing that is the ability to see the Badger football and basketball games. I would like to get a streaming solution and am willing to pay for subscriptions. The problem is that Badger games are split between the Big Ten network and ESPN2. I have dug into this a little bit, and notice there is the "Big Ten Digital" streaming subsciption, but the website is really hard to navigate. There's a nice obvious "Subscribe" button on the first page, but I can't seem to find the actual schedule of what I might be able to get. Plus, like I said, some games are on ESPN2, so are those also on "Big Ten digital" if you subscribe to that? Do I need to dig into streaming ESPN too? Are there any rabid Badger fans out there that are doing this and can advise? thanks
Ted

Re: Possible to stream most Badger Games?

Postby Athena » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I've only streamed (and only wanted to stream) Badger football games. ESPN3.com had almost every game last year and their streaming is free and easy to do. Quality varies a lot and I haven't figured out why my quality can drop so much during a game but starts out in HD. They don't have commercials and usually go black during the commercial breaks.

I've never done any streaming off the Big Ten network and I'm under the impression that if they have the rights then you won't see it on espn3.com.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Ted » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks for the tip. I tried a freebie video on Big Ten Digital, and the quality was OK. ESPN3 quality was really bad for me. I've got 5 MBPS DSL, and Netflix quality is great, so I know potentially I've got the bandwidth. I'm thinking ESPN3 may not really be intended as a high quality stream for HD TVs, but more for people casually watching on their computer. I still can't quite figure out what the programming is on Big Ten Digital.
Ted

Postby Crockett » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 am

If you know someone who has Charter cable and will let you use their credentials you can use www.btn2go.com.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV