MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter rates

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Charter rates

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:47 am

Is there a page on Charter's website that straightforwardly lists TV services and rates? No bundles, no contracts, just à la carte services and monthly rates. I've looked and looked and can't find this information. It's almost like Charter doesn't want people to know.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter rates

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 am

That's not how it works. You have to call up Charter, tell them what you want and how much you want to pay, and then they'll tell you if they can do it. Everyone pays slightly different rates and Charter doesn't want you to know what the best rate really is. But it is pretty easy to negotiate with them if you know what you want and what they can do for you. For instance, any of those little charges on your bill are negotiable but you can't separate channels out of a package or tier. Oh, and never pay install charges.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:46 am

Oh, I know the drill. But I used to occasionally get à la carte rate lists with my cable bill, the last time I had cable. Do these still exist?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Oh, I know the drill. But I used to occasionally get à la carte rate lists with my cable bill, the last time I had cable. Do these still exist?

We just recently switched back to charter from AT&T (fuckers), for internet only. We found the individual services on one of their fliers, that had a specific website address listed to take you to the "a la carte" menu.

19.99/mo for internet only at up to 16mb/s...it usually runs between 12-18 mb/s when I randomly feel like speedtesting it, so no complaints so far other than the occasional call from charter trying to get me to upgrade to a package deal. Thank god for google-voice --I have a separate voice-mail for the Charter Number that plays a message about taking me off their call list. It never works btw.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Oh, I know the drill. But I used to occasionally get à la carte rate lists with my cable bill, the last time I had cable. Do these still exist?

You can do the bundle deal here but only select internet. It looks like their price went up though. The 15 mb/s service is up to $29.99 from $19.99.

https://connect.charter.com/bundlebuild ... aspx#/home

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:You can do the bundle deal here but only select internet. It looks like their price went up though. The 15 mb/s service is up to $29.99 from $19.99.

https://connect.charter.com/bundlebuild ... aspx#/home

I recently needed to switch to a wireless system and I currently have ATT. I needed to buy a modem for $100 and thought I'd see the Charter deal. Turns out, yes it's 29.99, but for only six months. Also you have to lease the wireless modem for 10 bucks a month. After six months the rate jacks up to I think around 60 a month plus modem leasing.

Long story short, I switched to att uverse, doubled my speed, and I'm paying 29.99 for 12 months. This makes up for me buying the modem. And if you think about it, by leasing one through charter, your throwing money away for as long as you have the service.

Just my 2 cents.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Am I the only one who's made insane by all the deals, promotions, etc.? They're marketed as a gift to consumers, but they mainly seem like a way to 1) keep people confused as to how much services actually cost and 2) get customers to call and re-up when their promotions run out, so salespeople have an opportunity to try to sell them other stuff.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Am I the only one who's made insane by all the deals, promotions, etc.? They're marketed as a gift to consumers, but they mainly seem like a way to 1) keep people confused as to how much services actually cost and 2) get customers to call and re-up when their promotions run out, so salespeople have an opportunity to try to sell them other stuff.

Yes to all questions.

I do occasionally (yearly?) get a notice of price changes ... that's the closest to an a la carte price list. It'll say, "Extended Basic up $2.00 to $31.99, High Speed Internet down $0.02 to $19.97" ... stuff like that.

Stebben84 wrote:And if you think about it, by leasing one through charter, your throwing money away for as long as you have the service.

Just my 2 cents.

By leasing the modem, you're also ensuring that your modem is one they'll support. The few times I've had to get tech support they've been able to reset it remotely and give advice. But when it comes to a 3rd-party wi-fi router, they'll act like you've hooked up some futuristic holoprojector interlay device, "woah WOAH buddy we can't help you there. Why don't you call your pal Stephen Hawking to fix that one?"

There are some great sites that compile phone numbers of telemarketers, bill collectors and the like. I was looking for something similar to compare individual's experiences with Charter and friends, but a quick search didn't come up with much. I'm sure it's out there, though.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Which is why so many of us said "Enough" and dropped the cable. Before I tired of them, though, I always used Live Chat. The CSRs have to be able to spell and type, so they are not reading to you from a script. AND you can save the chat as a screen shot and send it back to them later, to show you know what you are talking about.

Also, YOU are asking as many questions as you like before you sign off. I like that they have to answer anything that I ask.

NEVER call in the evening or on a weekend. Those people will screw your account up on purpose, and it will take months to get the credits you have coming and the adjustments that you need to make you happier.

Now I've just started dealing with US Cellular customer service. Not as bad as Charter, but it reminds me a lot of them back in the day before we all started bailing......they keep saying "I'm sorry for your trouble" while pretending to fix your problem. Yuck!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

My dealings with Charter on Twitter have been remarkably good. Josh Wimmer wrote a nice Isthmus article about Charter on Twitter.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Am I the only one who's made insane by all the deals, promotions, etc.?

No you're not. I haven't switched from TDS because no one will tell me what the rates are after the intro period is over.

This would make a great story IMHO. Go out and talk to people who are good negotiators and publish their methods/secrets/best deals.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:24 pm

See, this is what I'm talking about. Where can I get an updated version of this list? And how can I learn more about Karaoke Monthly?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Am I the only one who's made insane by all the deals, promotions, etc.? They're marketed as a gift to consumers, but they mainly seem like a way to 1) keep people confused as to how much services actually cost and 2) get customers to call and re-up when their promotions run out, so salespeople have an opportunity to try to sell them other stuff.

yes, it's an absolute nightmare of confusion and shifting sands.

I recently canceled AT&T DSL service, then two months later I'm informed that I was charged a $100 disconnect fee. Jesus. The salesperson had told me there would be no charges to end service. So I call up and scream and I get most, not all of it back.

I have to say that AT&T Uverse is pretty sweet, but it is not available at that many locations within madison. Their terminology will drive you crazy: There is UVerse, Uverse DSL and then a non-Uverse DSL. The full UVerse includes TV service.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 pm

It's the cheap intro period and then the long mandatory follow-up period that keep me away from Charter (and from others). How do I know I want to keep their service for the next two years at $69.99/mo or whatever? Technology changes faster than that.

I am sure they keep it confusing on the basis of the rule "a confused customer is a complacent customer." If you can't figure out the rules and the options, how do you know if you're better off switching or staying put? So you stay put on the belief the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I generally get the bundled service with Charter or another service. I figured out Charter is pretty easy to negotiate with, if you do it right and you get an experienced customer service rep. The CSR is key, because I've gotten some people who screw shit up.

I call up a month ahead of the end of the intro period or contract period and find out what deals they have. I tell them I need this and that, don't need this or that. They try to sell me this or that. I tell them I'm going to call around to check out other services, but I want to stay with them if possible. They generally have some rate that's just a few bucks more then what I'm paying that they quote me. I tell them to put that down in their computer in case this deal ends. They tell ne to call back if I get quoted a better deal. Charter tries to find a way to keep my business. Sometimes it's a cheaper rate than the quoted before (they'll say, "We have a new offer...."), sometimes it's throwing in more channels or speed.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV