MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Lumpy dies

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Lumpy dies

Postby Beaver » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:40 am

It is with a heavy heart I report that one of the best actors ever has died. Frank Bank, who played the beloved Lumpy on "Leave it to Beaver". The Beaver will be in two days of mourning...until the weekend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 85979.html

"Frank Bank, who played the clumsy bully Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford on the beloved late '50s TV series "Leave It to Beaver," died on April 13 -- one day after he celebrated his 71st birthday. According to People magazine, no cause of death was reported.

Bank's "Leave It to Beaver" co-star Jerry Mathers took to his Facebook page to share a few words about his pal on Saturday, writing, "I was so sad to hear today of the passing of my dear friend and business associate Frank Bank, who played Lumpy on Leave it to Beaver. He was a character and always kept us laughing. My deepest condolences to Frank's family."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lumpy dies

Postby Donald » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

I always thought Leave it to Beaver showed how normal dysfunction was back in the 50s and 60s. Was there an episode that showed Lumpy getting pushed around and bullied by his father? I remember not liking Lumpy much, but I vaguely remember that episode, and Lumpy's behavior was more understandable then.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lumpy dies

Postby Big_Sister » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Just in case you've missed it:

Lumpy (Eddie Haskell, Wally,"the Beav", et al) devotees might be interested in the fact that our newest "free" over-the-air Madison TV station, channel 15-3, is featuring this Sunday, 4/28 a LTB marathon of 40, count-em, 40, back-to-back episodes.

http://www.antennatv.tv/

If memory serves, in this number of episodes, Lumpy will surely make multiple appearances.

And let us not forget Lumpy's father, Fred Rutherford, portrayed by the likewise immortal Richard Deacon, perhaps better known for his portrayal of Mel Cooley in the original Dick Van Dyke Show (WAY back when Mary Tyler Moore was "just a wife", without a show of her own.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Deacon_(actor)

Too bad Sunday is going to be such a nice day, ill-suited for TV watching....!
Big_Sister

Return to TV