MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Aereo will set you free

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Aereo will set you free

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Aereo is an upstart company that is going to allow you to receive all local, high def digital broadcasts over the internet, plus provide you with a virtual DVR in the cloud. About $10/month, and you can much more easily cut the cord with Charter or Dish.

Here is profile of Aereo service:
http://gigaom.com/2013/02/07/aereos-big ... -explains/
How they do it:
http://gigaom.com/2013/02/06/inside-aer ... -watch-tv/

Aereo is operating now in NYC market. They will be up and running in Boston on May 15. They purportedly will in Madison before July.
http://blog.aereo.com/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Aereo will set you free

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Read something that a couple broadcast networks might stop doing so, all because of the court ruling allowing Aereo.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Read something that a couple broadcast networks might stop doing so, all because of the court ruling allowing Aereo.

Ya, I've been researching this stuff, FOX in particular is loudly threatening to stop broadcasting over the air. It is a hollow threat, laughably so. Aereo is only going to syphon-off a small slice of business, mainly people in urban areas with excellent internet service who can't use antennas to pickup free TV. (I think Madison is on the list for Aereo expansion because our internet bandwidth rocks compared to other cities. Charter does offer great internet speeds.)

Besides, broadcasters get much more money from advertising than they do from retransmission fees on cable/satellite. (Aereo does cheapen the value of content that broadcasters offer to cable companies.)
Aereo is spreading advertising message to more customers, so it is a murky and mixed situation.

What I care about is the wonderful opportunity that Aereo is opening up for consumers. This nudges the ball forward for ala carte tv services.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't get it. Before, you were watching TV. After, you'll be watching TV. And now you're fee? Pah!

(But the à la carte option does make good sense.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

fennel wrote:I don't get it. Before, you were watching TV. After, you'll be watching TV. And now you're fee? Pah!

OK, fair enough. Aereo also releases you to watch your recorded TV programs on your IPad. You are free to leave your couch, perhaps watch in your tree fort, or while walking barefoot along the beach.

Maybe to you freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free.

To me, I see freedom in a recliner parked in front of a big screen tv.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that the controversial startup Aereo was violating copyright law by streaming broadcast TV signals to subscribers without paying for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/2 ... 00897.html

I didn't think they have a chance. We'll see how this ruling could affect other services.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 am

Aereo : television :: Uber/Lyft : cab companies

Everyone who's shocked that Aereo would be found to be illegal, raise your hand.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Aereo : television :: Uber/Lyft : cab companies

Not sure if that's a fair comparison. Uber/Lyft are skirting laws that apply to cab companies to make a buck. They may be taking work from cab companies, but other than lost fares, Cab companies aren't actually financially contributing to Uber/Lyft's success.

Aereo was actually reselling access to what television stations are broadcasting. Their business model was based on using what other produced without fair compensation.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Not sure if that's a fair comparison. Uber/Lyft are skirting laws that apply to cab companies to make a buck. They may be taking work from cab companies, but other than lost fares, Cab companies aren't actually financially contributing to Uber/Lyft's success.

Aereo was actually reselling access to what television stations are broadcasting. Their business model was based on using what other produced without fair compensation.

Okay, so it would probably be more direct if Uber/Lyft was driving Union Cab's cars and keeping the fares. But I think it's still an apt enough comparison as it stands.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Everyone who's shocked that Aereo would be found to be illegal, raise your hand.

I am. I've read the lower court rulings, where they actually dissected the technical issues very carefully. Aereo had a solid case. Three decisions came to the same analysis.

The Supreme Court just waved its hands and made a purely political decision in favor of big corporations. In that sense, it was predictable, but it is not justice.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: Okay, so it would probably be more direct if Uber/Lyft was driving Union Cab's cars and keeping the fares. But I think it's still an apt enough comparison as it stands.

No, ridiculous comparison. Aereo was delivering signals only to people who were legally entitled to view the content via broadcast TV. They were functioning as a 21st century antenna, it was a service for people who couldn't use a physical antenna but were in the geographical broadcast region.

A lot of people live out of range of broadcast towers, digital TV signals are much more fickle than the old analog signals. Also, people in urban areas frequently have signals blocked by buildings.

Unless you believe that the cable companies are insufficiently monopolistic, this is a terrible decision. They snuffed out the first breath of fresh air for consumers in years.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 pm

From my understanding, Aereo was not creating a permanent one to one tie between an antenna and a customer and was infact caching data before retransmitting it, so the technical design of the system was not enough to answer the legal questions of copyright laws.

Seeing as many broadcasters are starting to stream shows online themselves, it was also interfering with a potential revenue stream for the broadcasters.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Huckleby wrote:Aereo was delivering signals only to people who were legally entitled to view the content via broadcast TV. They were functioning as a 21st century antenna, it was a service for people who couldn't use a physical antenna but were in the geographical broadcast region.

But doing so by both rebroadcasting (unless I'm able to tune in to broadcast TV signals on my iPad currently...?) and charging for it, non?

Oh, but it's a 21st century paid rebroadcast service. Carry on then.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:From my understanding, Aereo was not creating a permanent one to one tie between an antenna and a customer and was infact caching data before retransmitting it

No, they were very careful to maintain 1-to-1 ties.

Ya know, there are lots of digital antennas out there that "rebroadcast" a digitized and cached signal. And then there is the "sling box", a legal device that "rebroadcasts" your home TV to your computer at work.

I've been through the technical side of this a million times. There is a good reason why 3 panels of judges ruled in favor of Aereo prior to the SC decision. I also recognize that there is a totally different way of looking at it. I think the Supreme Court really didn't understand or consider the technical aspect. They just looked at it as stealing intellectual property, or more specifically, violating the right of the owner to control how their property is delivered.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Aereo was delivering signals only to people who were legally entitled to view the content via broadcast TV. They were functioning as a 21st century antenna, it was a service for people who couldn't use a physical antenna but were in the geographical broadcast region.

But doing so by both rebroadcasting (unless I'm able to tune in to broadcast TV signals on my iPad currently...?) and charging for it, non?

Get yourself a sling box and you can get your home tv on your iPad.

The Supreme Court decision makes no sense to me, but I have heard the other side of the argument, I get the other way of looking at it.

I am sad that this has increased the head lock the cable companies have on the market. It will retard the internet options and growth, the decision has broad implications. Cable cutters just took a punch to the nuts.

BTW, the networks and cable companies are only doing internet streaming for people who already own their expensive bundles.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV