MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Channel 3 drama queens sign deal with Charter

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Channel 3 drama queens sign deal with Charter

Postby bdog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 am

Why is it every time Channel 3 gets into a negotiation it doesn't like it whines to the public? Last year it was DISH now it's Charter.

The other local stations are able to work out deals, why not WISC?

Call Channel 3 at 608-271-4321 and tell them to get a fair deal done and leave us out of it.
Last edited by bdog on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Channel 3 WISC bunch of whiners

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 am

A few years back DirecTV and Newcorp were going at it. I was watching a show and there was a ticker from DirecTV urging me to make a call to newscorp, and there were commercials from the network urging me to call DirecTV.

I have a solution though. Screw all these cable companies and let me buy the channels I want through my AppleTV, Roku or other device. The cable company really serves no purpose anymore and they are the only reason this hasn't already happened. Wanna watch ABC on your Roku? Well you have to verify your cable provider information. HBO I kinda understand but ABC? It's free floating over the air?

I back the local in this negotiation if for no other reason than I don't think Charter really needs to be a part of the process.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 pm

They want it to look like we care who pipes their swill through our living rooms.

Oh, sorry--was that a bit too negative for a holiday posting?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Just went through this down in Milwaukee with Time Warner and the Journal Sentinel company (owner's of NBC's WTMJ4). Time Warner countered the BS by giving out free TV antennas so people could still watch their pre-season football if they didn't want to watch it in Spanish.

Personally I thought watching it in Spanish was brilliant.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:45 pm

I see that DirectTV and Dish will be increasing their rates after the first of the year. I expect Charter will use these negotiations to justify jacking up their rates too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:17 am

fisticuffs wrote:I have a solution though. Screw all these cable companies and let me buy the channels I want through my AppleTV, Roku or other device. The cable company really serves no purpose anymore and they are the only reason this hasn't already happened. Wanna watch ABC on your Roku? Well you have to verify your cable provider information. HBO I kinda understand but ABC? It's free floating over the air?

I'd like to see some stats on what companies are the dominant provider of cable AND/OR internet around the country. Because when you are the dominant provider of both (like in Madison), wanna bet they'd try to block a move to offer more channels direct?

There must be some arcane agreements in place between some channels and cable providers to prevent bypassing the cable system. I know when ESPN started promoting their Roku channel, you had to already be getting it through Charter in order to get it through Roku.

But don't worry, fisti. If it keeps on rainin', the levee's gonna break.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:40 am

fisticuffs wrote:Screw all these cable companies and let me buy the channels I want through my AppleTV, Roku or other device.

I've got a Google Chromecast on the way. It only handles a few apps, but If I buy Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go, I'm still only paying about $30 a month and it's close to all I need. Plus, I can cancel these at any time if I don't need or like them. Unless cable/dish companies lower their prices, they're going to be pushed out the door.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 am

Stebben84 wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Screw all these cable companies and let me buy the channels I want through my AppleTV, Roku or other device.

I've got a Google Chromecast on the way. It only handles a few apps, but If I buy Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go, I'm still only paying about $30 a month and it's close to all I need. Plus, I can cancel these at any time if I don't need or like them. Unless cable/dish companies lower their prices, they're going to be pushed out the door.

HBO Go will only work if you are paying for it through a cable provider or if you steal someone's cable provider login information.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 am

fisticuffs wrote:HBO Go will only work if you are paying for it through a cable provider or if you steal someone's cable provider login information.

Gotcha. I thought you could purchase it as a standalone streaming channel. Fuckers.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:09 am

Comcast is bundling HBO with broadband Internet service.

I was just reading some other articles about HBO going rogue. With Netflix and Amazon streaming becoming more successful, it's just a matter of time before HBO takes the full plunge. I don't quite get why it still needs to be bundled with an internet package. Why can't they just have a standalone monthly fee like Hulu Plus? Regardless, I'm still looking forward to my new little toy.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:59 pm

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:32 am

FLASH !!!!

Programming Note: WISC-TV and Charter agree to 12 hour deadline extension
Negotiations continue; New deadline set for noon Jan. 1
Published On: Dec 19 2013 03:27:17 PM CST Updated On: Jan 01 2014 01:02:26 AM CST

More later from Neil Heinen in the WISC-TV War Room.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Channel 3 drama queens sign deal with Charter

Postby bdog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Ironballs Heinen makes the deal.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Thank God. I was worried sick that I wouldn't be able to watch Dr. Phil.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 pm

"She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol ..."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV