MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Club Majestic in trouble for Drink Specials

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Will the elimination of drink specials curb student drinking?

1.) Yes. Let me explain this you dolt....
No votes
2.) No. You just don't get it, it's like this...
42%
3.) Who cares? Pour me another...
58%

Total votes : 19

Club Majestic in trouble for Drink Specials

Postby Darthcrank » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:58 pm

Problems seem to be compounding for the dance club. here is the new beef:
http://www.madison.com/captimes/news/stories/62728.php

Those drink specials are only on weekdays anyway, right? I thought it was brilliant marketing, cause anyone with a job the next morning won't be able to drink $9 of booze anyway....
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:19 pm

If any of these people complaining about the special actually went to one of the Majestic's $9 all you can drink nights they would probably change their minds about them promoting binge-drinking. The drinks there are so weak. It takes like 10 of them to get a buzz and then you're just peeing all night after that. They should be encouraging students to go there to save their livers.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:33 pm

Thinking back to my college days (which are mostly a blur due to binge drinking), I can't honestly say that drink specials had any impact on how much I drank. Drink specials only impacted how much I spent to get drunk.
Last edited by burstingsun on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:52 pm

Remember how doing bad things (and getting punished) was supposed to teach you a lesson? The rowdy and immature need to grow up. Everyone has to at some point-- or they suffere the consequences. Don't blame the liquor. Blame the students-- they should be able to decide for themselves. Lord knows that by the time they're 21, they've been practicing at home for at least a few years.

Us feeble humans are not powerless to the great, supreme evil that is alcohol.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:38 pm

Nick's trying to have this issue both ways, it seems. He says he's not a campus bar, yet he advertised these drink specials in the campus dailies (no such ads ran in Isthmus). He appears to be spinning this as being unaware (I can't imagine any bar/restaurant owner in this town being such) of this voluntary ban, but I wouldn't want to be on the university's bad side when it comes to drink specials downtown.

http://www.badgerherald.com/vnews/displ ... 53b92c579a
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:42 pm

Perhaps if we really crank up the drink specials for a few months-- along with directing traffic down State St. again-- evolution will take over, and the binge drinking problem will be weeded out...
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:57 pm

regnad_kcin wrote:Perhaps if we really crank up the drink specials for a few months-- along with directing traffic down State St. again-- evolution will take over, and the binge drinking problem will be weeded out...

I think I have a problem with the definition of "binge drinking". I fI recall, it was having 5 drinks in one "sitting". If this is the standard, then nearly everyone I go to clubs with (who drinks and doesn't have to drive themselves home) is a binge drinker in the course of a night of clubbing.

It seems to me that the cases of extreme alcohol consuption that are life-threatening are done mainly at house parties anyway.

also,
"He appears to be spinning this as being unaware (I can't imagine any bar/restaurant owner in this town being such) of this voluntary ban, but I wouldn't want to be on the university's bad side when it comes to drink specials downtown. "

Isn't this ban on drink specials ON THE WEEEKEND? Majestic's special is a Monday thru Thursday special right? So where is the conflict?
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government