MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Budget woes all part of anti-gubbermint plan

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Do you think Republicans want to cripple government through reckless fiscal management?

Yes (duh!)
45%
No, they just can't stop spending money and cutting taxes.
36%
No, Republicans can do no wrong. Any problem is the Democrats' fault, even when Republicans are in power.
18%

Total votes : 11

Budget woes all part of anti-gubbermint plan

Postby True Blue » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:53 am

"I don't want to abolish government," Norquist told National Public Radio's Mara Liasson in a May 25, 2001 Morning Edition interview. "I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

So sayeth a leading light of the CONservative movement. One of the highest motivating and unifying forces among Republicans is their hatred of taxes and government.

Bush's deficits don't make sense if one looks at it from the perspective of responsible governance. However, if you look at the deficits at the federal and state levels, in light of Mr. Norquist's statement, you see a clear agenda: destroy government.

When these huge deficits emerge, then social programs (much hated by the Righties) are cut.

This is why we have the new Red Sea of Ink in the federal budget. And why the cuts in revenues have trickled down to government at all levels. It serves this radical Republican goal of crippling government.

Now, local leaders are faced with the need to cut government or raise regressive and unfair property taxes.

This would never happen if we had a free and independent press in this country.
True Blue
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Budget woes all part of anti-gubbermint plan

Postby dalschaef » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:53 am

True Blue wrote:
"I don't want to abolish government," Norquist told National Public Radio's Mara Liasson in a May 25, 2001 Morning Edition interview. "I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

So sayeth a leading light of the CONservative movement. One of the highest motivating and unifying forces among Republicans is their hatred of taxes and government.

Bush's deficits don't make sense if one looks at it from the perspective of responsible governance. However, if you look at the deficits at the federal and state levels, in light of Mr. Norquist's statement, you see a clear agenda: destroy government.

When these huge deficits emerge, then social programs (much hated by the Righties) are cut.

This is why we have the new Red Sea of Ink in the federal budget. And why the cuts in revenues have trickled down to government at all levels. It serves this radical Republican goal of crippling government.

Now, local leaders are faced with the need to cut government or raise regressive and unfair property taxes.

This would never happen if we had a free and independent press in this country.

Why heck, these so-called conservatives don't want to eliminate government. They mainly want to re-direct its functions, transforming government into a vast charity for the super-rich, funding each and every military investment that comes down the pike and provide enormous subsidies for the petro-chemical, pharmaceutical, and other profiteering industries. They also love endlessly building prisons, a practice which certainly has helped fuel the present budget crises in 49 states. They're also 100% in favor of funding the bloated mechanisms that accompany the death-penalty industry. An industry that is tremendously expensive, as each taxpayer financed capital sentence costs substantially more than handing out, for example, a life sentence, even one with no parole.

Of course I should mention it's true that their answer to the staggering costs involved with imposing the death penalty is to reduce the opportunity available to the accused to prove their innocence. Like the state of Florida, which has passed a law drastically limiting the amount of time an inmate has to present DNA evidence in the hope of exoneration.

These are just a few examples of the out-of-control spending priorities practiced by these blood-thirsty, self-help (they help themselves almost exclusively) "conservatives."
dalschaef
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government