MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Affordable Housing Demand Reduction Plan

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Do you think the City will actually work on this?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes : 7

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:20 am

Metro's answer . . .

Brenda: I can't really speak to the premise Greg is proposing - you have
the professional background to be able to address that premise. His
reference to public transit passes for low income people has been
addressed by the City. My recollection is that the City had a budget of
$40,000 in 2006 for passes for low income people. I don't recall which
Agency is now distributing them, but Jeanne Hoffman would be able to
tell you. Additionally, Sharon Persich (Metro Planning/Scheduling Mgr)
is chairing a committee on the issue of how to ressusitate WTA - which
was another means for getting people to job training, etc. -
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:22 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
Brenda Konkel wrote:Sigh . . . believe me, I had to push, pull, drag, scream, yell etc to get several things through city staff and the mayor's office . . . I have no idea what we do.

Well, if it's CDA staff either one of you is having trouble with, I would hope you would talk to me.

Actually, Augie is a gem. And with his leadership, we have fewer and fewer problems, not quite perfect yet . . . but clearly he's making progress . . . if anything, I feel like we should be helping him more . . . but he's kind of quiet and doesn't make waves . . .
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:25 am

Greg Markle wrote:It is interesting that CDA says that there could be little impact on the length of stay of people in section 8 when to the best of my knowledge they don't even track or are able to supply information on the average stay of someone in section 8 housing.
Let alone being able to provide data on subsets such as those getting SSI or laid off from work.

The most telling part of their answer is that they see this program as a stand alone housing provider with no connection to whether folks ever move from poverty and free up this limited resource.

I will admit that the plan I presented was small compared to the need. My point was I could come up with something in 1 hour and they have not even had a brainstorming session on this in over 1 year.

Thank you for digging a little for me brenda. Did they say when working on this plan might be on their calendar? Perhaps a strong mayor could push them towards actually following a very straight forward directive from council. Sounds like a campaign plank for someone.

The Section 8 program is what the federal government has made it. They have self-sufficiency requirements that are ridiculous. And they may have the info you ask for, probably not very handy . . . but in fairness to them, I don't think anyone ever asked them to track it. I'm not seeing CDA staff as the foks to beat up on here . . . they get money to provide housing, not services. The City doesn't put in more than $50,000 a year. If we want them to do more with less and with federal cuts, I think we're nuts. As it is, their reserves are dangerously low. They've got no wiggle room left for anything.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Greg Markle » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:54 am

I agree that the CDA staff have been doing what was instructed and for what they have funding. They don't deserve to be the scapegoat for a larger systematic failing by the city to address the need for a plan, that includes measurements of success, on how best to manage these and other scarce housing resources in the most efficient way.

Didn't mean to single them out as bad guys.
Greg Markle
Forum Addict

Postby Greg Markle » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:57 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
Brenda Konkel wrote:Sigh . . . believe me, I had to push, pull, drag, scream, yell etc to get several things through city staff and the mayor's office . . . I have no idea what we do.

Well, if it's CDA staff either one of you is having trouble with, I would hope you would talk to me.

In this case it is actually Community Services and CDBG that are supposed to jointly be preparing the plan. Have any ability to get them to follow a council directive over one year overdue? If you don't, who do you think would?
Greg Markle
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government