MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is John Gard really as dumb as he sounds?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

John Gard's I.Q.:

<80
47%
>80, <100
37%
>100, <140 (you're kidding, right?)
16%

Total votes : 19

Postby nevermore » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:27 am

graceland wrote:Ah yes, I must be an "insider" if I feel the need to defend John Gard. I am an underling. Brilliant.

Who I am or what I do is of no matter to this debate.

Thanks for confirming my guess :P
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:29 am

graceland wrote:As for political aspirations beyond the Speakership. I don't know, you don't know and to say you do (unless you are Rep. Gard) is utter garbage. We all have our hunches, but to say that everything he does is to run for higher office? Seems sour grapes to me.

Oh, please! Give me a break!

graceland wrote:By the by, what is wrong with having goals? Why should everyone who shows some willingness to work and maybe move "up" the political ladder be put down on this forum?

My point is that when it comes to a choice between his district and what is best for his career he will not take the high road and represent his district.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Hi Kettle, this is the Pot calling.

Postby Jay Did » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:41 pm

Both sides are guilty as charged. Any one who works in the capitol knows it's games and charades, and as long as the public fails to get involved, what motivation do any of these people have to do anything other than cater to those who fund them? We process the budget for the legislature and the gov, and guess what? Both sickly abuse the public's money. It doesn't matter which party you're talking about, or who's governor or speaker, they all (with one exception that I can think of) push the envelope with reimbursements and use of state resources. Gard was fun to watch bicker with Burke in Jt. Finance, but let's face it....these guys don't care about Joe Public and never will. However, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that reaches leadership level in any elected office and is altruistic. It's the nature of the beast. : cry:
Jay Did

Postby bmasel » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:55 pm

graceland wrote:If not Rep. Gard, who should be speaker?

Among the Republicans, if they want to get things done rather than engage in flamewars with the Gov., I'd suggest Al Ott, currently chair of the Ag Committee.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swifty » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:37 pm

bmasel wrote:
graceland wrote:If not Rep. Gard, who should be speaker?

Among the Republicans, if they want to get things done rather than engage in flamewars with the Gov., I'd suggest Al Ott, currently chair of the Ag Committee.

Hey Ben, you think Gard knows how to play chess?
swifty

Re: Hi Kettle, this is the Pot calling.

Postby Rory » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:29 pm

Jay Did wrote:Both sides are guilty as charged. Any one who works in the capitol knows it's games and charades, and as long as the public fails to get involved, what motivation do any of these people have to do anything other than cater to those who fund them? We process the budget for the legislature and the gov, and guess what? Both sickly abuse the public's money. It doesn't matter which party you're talking about, or who's governor or speaker, they all (with one exception that I can think of) push the envelope with reimbursements and use of state resources. Gard was fun to watch bicker with Burke in Jt. Finance, but let's face it....these guys don't care about Joe Public and never will. However, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that reaches leadership level in any elected office and is altruistic. It's the nature of the beast. : cry:

Actually, some of the members of the legislature really care about public policy. John Gard is a decent guy, though he will never be in the same intellectual category as Brian Burke. The Joint Finance committee functioned rather well when it was balanced on a partisan basis from 1996-2002. Gard is consistent in his approach to budget-cutting, except in the area of highway spending. His biggest drawback is his temper and his tendency to be vindictive.
Rory

Postby gnarly buttons » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:13 pm

graceland wrote:Yup. Here is another example of the strong intelectual debate we can expect from the open-minded liberals of Dane County.

Nothing more than name calling and personal attacks.

Todd? Todd Rongstad?
Is that you Todd?
You're soooo right about those liberals always personally attacking people.

I have heard John Gard speak many times, and it has always been entertaining. He speaks English like a foreign language.
I wouldn't be surprised if he writes his name with a crayon gripped in his fist. I know autistic people who have better command and control of English.
Trying to lay all partisanship aside, the man is a dimwit. Plain and simple.
There are very intelligent Republicans out there, but John Gard is surely not to be counted in those ranks.
Last edited by gnarly buttons on Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnarly buttons
Forum Addict

Postby graceland » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:19 pm

Excuse me?

That may be the worst thing anyone has EVER called me!

Rongstad.

That is a fine "how do you do" on a Friday afternoon.
graceland
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:55 pm

So does anyone have any proof that Mr. Gard is intelligent? College term papers?

According to his bio: he has a BS in political science and public administration UW-La Crosse (1986) so he can't be that dumb.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:59 pm

I know one thing. The guys too dumb to know you need a fishing license in Wisconsin if you are fishing, and those tickets are expensive.

I always find it so funny to see when things are working out it was because Tommy was so smart & wonderful, but when something didn't go right, it was the Dems fault. Tommy was in charge. The budget got fucked up, no other word for it, under his watch. Dr. No said yes way too many times, and we're paying the price for it now.

You're right Graceland, no one here really knows what Gards aspirations are. But I think it's more than just foreshadowing to witness Baas moving from Jensens's office to work for Johnny. Then again, maybe he likes how he deals with tv reporters... :wink:
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:01 pm

his other head allegedly has some sense.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:02 pm

his other head allegedly has some sense.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RottoReago » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:30 pm

Back to the per diem thing. While I don't condone Rep. Schnieder's dishonestly on his residency, I don't recall him playing the demagogue on the budget and telling state employees that they were part of the problem and needed to be a part of the solution. While this is not of money within the budget, I will bet that the $88 a day would be more than someone who trying make a living on minimum wage.
RottoReago

Postby NixonsHenchman » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:20 pm

As for Gard's political aspirations, it is very likely that Mark Green will take on Jim Doyle in the next Gub Election. Gard will then run for Green's seat in the U.S. House.
NixonsHenchman

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government