MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 87.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mayor Dave Screwed Over Michael Goldberg

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who would you vote for as Mayor?

Dennis Denure
No votes
Ray Allen
10%
Dave Cieslewicz
48%
Paul Soglin
5%
Peter Muñoz
10%
Brenda Konkel
29%
Michael Goldberg
No votes

Total votes : 21

Mayor Dave Screwed Over Michael Goldberg

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:53 am

Michael Goldberg has done an excellent job as interim president of the Overture Center since Robert D'Angelo resigned. But instead of rewarding him with the permanent job, Mayor Dave decided to give the job to an out of towner. And Mayor Dave was stunned - STUNNED by the angry reaction to the slap in the face. This is old news - but it is just indicative of the Mayor's cluelessness. Anyway, Michael Goldberg has decided to leave early rather than take the VP job at less pay:

Michael Goldberg has resigned from the Overture Center for the Arts, a new $205-million complex in downtown Madison that is the state's largest arts presenter.

Goldberg, who has been the center's interim director, announced his resignation Tuesday night in a letter to the Madison Cultural Arts District board, which oversees the operations of the Overture Center.

Goldberg will leave Overture on Jan. 12, just three days before Tom Carto -- who beat out the internal candidate Goldberg for the top post vacated by Bob D'Angelo -- takes over the reins of the center.

With the arrival of Carto, a 49-year-old arts administrator from Mansfield, Ohio, Goldberg was slated to return to his position as vice-president and take a significant pay cut. Sources close to the matter said that Goldberg was leaving in part as a protest against the fact that Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz didn't choose him as direstor. Goldberg ran the organization after D'Angelo resigned amid accusations of financial wrongdoing and sexual impropriety.

This fall, even Cieslewicz -- who said he was impressed by Carto's ability to raise money -- admitted in a meeting with the editorial board of The Capital Times that he was surprised by the strength and number of the reactions against his choice.

Overture's interim Chief Rejects Paycut, Resigns

This problem emanated from the same play book as the disastrous handling of the manganese in Madison's water supply. To quote the Mayor, "out of sight, out of mind."

Any leader, mayor or CEO must know when to attend meetings and when to send aides. He must get a feel for the situation from reports, or better yet from personal observation.  This mayor's schedule reveals virtually no contact with arts community - which previously led to the the disastrous handling of the Overture refinancing a year ago.

Waxing America
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:38 am

The mayor chose someone that he thought would work better over an internal candidate. Those that know the internal candidate are going to bitch.

If the external candidate has a better history of raising funds than he probably made the right choice.

Goldberg's quiting is his own thing. He could have had his old job back and didn't want it.

Soglin is waxing his desk or something -- not America.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby om » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:53 am

Goldberg was certaily no miracle worker.
He was just one of the good ol' boys.
He new about D'Angelo's sexual harassment behavior and did absolutely nothing about it for several years.

Even after D'Angelo left in disgrace, Goldberg offered him free tickets to any show at the Overture Center for the next year.

Go riddance to him, pouty little twit.
And welcome to the fresh blood.
om
Forum Addict

Postby Dulouz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am

I imagine that the real reason that Goldberg quit had to do with the pungent aroma of sour grapes emanating from his new office.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:55 pm

om wrote:
He new about D'Angelo's sexual harassment behavior and did absolutely nothing about it for several years.

Even after D'Angelo left in disgrace, Goldberg offered him free tickets to any show at the Overture Center for the next year.

Whatever happened with D'Angelo? He seems to have gotten off scot-free. I thought Mayor Dave was going to do something about this - oh well, it's just sexual harassment, no big deal. No worse than manganese in the water. :roll:
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Genie wrote:
om wrote:

Whatever happened with D'Angelo? He seems to have gotten off scot-free. I thought Mayor Dave was going to do something about this - oh well, it's just sexual harassment, no big deal. No worse than manganese in the water. :roll:

Um, I think he got fired. What else does the Mayor have the authority to do in such cases?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Jattpw wrote:
Genie wrote:
om wrote:

Um, I think he got fired. What else does the Mayor have the authority to do in such cases?

I thought the harrasment allegations came out *after* D'Angelo left with a nice golden parachute...
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:25 pm

So the mayor got rid of a bad employee before the potential for the City to get hung up in a lengthy, expensive, and difficult harrasment case procedure.

How could he have handled this better?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby om » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Jattpw wrote:So the mayor got rid of a bad employee before the potential for the City to get hung up in a lengthy, expensive, and difficult harrasment case procedure.

Oh, wait, I think I have an answer:
Mayor Dave could have quietly dealt with the D'Angelo issue when he learned about it two years before it actually became a frontpage story.
om
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:22 pm

om wrote:
Jattpw wrote:So the mayor got rid of a bad employee before the potential for the City to get hung up in a lengthy, expensive, and difficult harrasment case procedure.

Mayor Dave could have quietly dealt with the D'Angelo issue when he learned about it two years before it actually became a frontpage story.

Which also would have worked with regard to handling management of the water utility...
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 pm

om wrote:Go riddance to him, pouty little twit.
And welcome to the fresh blood.

om - I'm just curious, can you taste manganese in Mayor Dave's jizz when you suck him off? I figured you would know.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:23 am

om wrote:Goldberg was certaily no miracle worker.
He was just one of the good ol' boys.

Yeah, I guess since Goldberg was D'Angelo's boss he should have fired him - oh wait! - that's right! - Mayor Dave was D'Angelo's boss! :shock:
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:50 am

om wrote:

So first you have a problem with D'angelo getting a "golden parachute" then you say Mayor Dave should have bought him off earlier.

Finally, are you inferring that Mayor Dave had a strong knowledge of sexual harrassment that would hold up in court and chose to do nothing at an earlier date. Is that what you are inferring?

I hope you are not the kind of person that is willing to throw around empty claims like this with out substantial proof.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:05 am

Jattpw wrote:Finally, are you inferring that Mayor Dave had a strong knowledge of sexual harrassment that would hold up in court and chose to do nothing at an earlier date. Is that what you are inferring?

Om was implying, not inferring.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government