MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Can Munoz win?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who will be the Mayor of Madison?

Mayor Dave
63%
Peter Munoz
29%
Ray Allen
5%
Other
3%

Total votes : 38

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Hey Brenda
Word on the street is that your old bud Erik Minton is among those circulating Peter's nomination papers.

That cause you any unease? Still your ardor any?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Hey Brenda
Word on the street is that your old bud Erik Minton is among those circulating Peter's nomination papers.

Haven't you been MIA?

It's pretty clear both Brenda's and Peter's independence is as critical as it is solid.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote="Brenda Konkel"
. . . but isn't there more to being Mayor than being a nice guy that makes funny jokes? Madison can't be that shallow can it?[/quote]

I like shallow. Shallow is the new deep.
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Hey Brenda

Nope. You know these things are always more complex than meets the eye. Different people see different things they like about Peter. BTW - I haven't committed to Peter yet, but he does seem the most promising to me. I'm still waiting to hear what Dave will do in the next 4 years.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby political genius » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 am

I don't know that I would dismiss Munoz (how the hell do you get the proper n?) as quickly as some have. He and Centro have built some pretty solid relationships with many unions in the past, including recently. I'm not saying this will help from a GOTV standpoint, although it might, I'm saying that Munoz isn't as simply pro-business as many people think. He is obviously very supportive of labor (what has Dave done for labor?) and can <GASP> probably actually work well with labor and "the business community."

I'm leaning very heavily to Munoz and I think his intelligence is very underestimated.
political genius

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:37 am

political genius wrote:(how the hell do you get the proper n?)

Windows would be typing "0241" on the numeric keypad while holding ALT:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/inte ... tml#accent

ñ
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:06 am

lukpac wrote:
political genius wrote:(how the hell do you get the proper n?)

Windows would be typing "0241" on the numeric keypad while holding ALT:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/inte ... tml#accent

ñ

on Macs, type option+n, n ñ or option+n any letter that accepts a tilde. ãñõ
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can Munoz win?

Postby madisonprogress » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 am

Jattpw wrote:Munoz will probably take some votes from Mayor Dave and a lot of votes from Ray Allen.

Munoz's running has everything to do with the Common Sense people not being very impressed with the early efforts and gaffs by Ray Allen.

You can expect the larger business community and maybe the police and fire unions to get behind the Munoz campaign. Allen is done.

In the general, it probably will come down to whether the "Trolley Dave" accusation can stick and how many votes it is worth.

There's this thought that Munoz is somehow between the mayor and Ray Allen. He's not. Munoz's running is great news for the mayor as it allows him to move to the center.
-a Madison Progressive
madisonprogress

Postby Jattpw » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:10 pm

madisonprogress wrote:
Jattpw wrote:Munoz will probably take some votes from Mayor Dave and a lot of votes from Ray Allen.

Munoz's running has everything to do with the Common Sense people not being very impressed with the early efforts and gaffs by Ray Allen.

You can expect the larger business community and maybe the police and fire unions to get behind the Munoz campaign. Allen is done.

In the general, it probably will come down to whether the "Trolley Dave" accusation can stick and how many votes it is worth.

There's this thought that Munoz is somehow between the mayor and Ray Allen. He's not. Munoz's running is great news for the mayor as it allows him to move to the center.
-a Madison Progressive

Although it may be different based on the individual issue, I think it would be difficult to paint Munoz as significantly to the left of Mayor Dave.
The Munoz political experience is largely tied to his activities with in the positions of Mayor Bauman's administration and some lobbying activity against the Civil Rights Merger. His talking points so far seem to be to the "right" of the mayor.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madisonprogress » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:That would be fine... if the Mayor had a better reputation for actually listening to people (City Council members included) rather than pretending to be a nice guy and pretending to listen.

Where do you get this idea that the mayor doesn't listen? From Brenda Konkel or others? I've not heard anyone but Brenda claim that.
-a Madison Progressive
madisonprogress

Postby madisonprogress » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Jattpw wrote:Although it may be different based on the individual issue, I think it would be difficult to paint Munoz as significantly to the left of Mayor Dave.
The Munoz political experience is largely tied to his activities with in the positions of Mayor Bauman's administration and some lobbying activity against the Civil Rights Merger. His talking points so far seem to be to the "right" of the mayor.

First, it's not clear Munoz truly opposed the merger. I mean he did during the debate but in the paper it seemed like his opposition was based on proccess rather than the outcome. Second, the opposition to the merger was from the left, not the right. Finally, he backed Rafah and that certainly will paint him on the left.
-a Madison Progresswive
madisonprogress

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:21 pm

madisonprogress wrote:
Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:That would be fine... if the Mayor had a better reputation for actually listening to people (City Council members included) rather than pretending to be a nice guy and pretending to listen.

Where do you get this idea that the mayor doesn't listen? From Brenda Konkel or others? I've not heard anyone but Brenda claim that.
-a Madison Progressive

There was a report in Isthmus a year or so back in which several City Council members made that claim.

The pool initiative is another example of being rolled out to the public fully-formed. The forums for gathering public input were window dressing after the fact.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madisonprogress » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:[There was a report in Isthmus a year or so back in which several City Council members made that claim.

The pool initiative is another example of being rolled out to the public fully-formed. The forums for gathering public input were window dressing after the fact.

Well, a year + ago the dcr debate was going on so I take that into consideration. Also, much of the council will prob be in the mayor's corner. If they really had a problem w/ him, they'd back munoz or allen. as far as the pool is concerned, this had been discussed for years and many people wanted it; I don't think it was very controversial. Some wanted it in a different area, but I don't think it was a big deal.
-a Madison Progressive
madisonprogress

Postby madisonprogress » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:58 pm

political genius wrote:I don't know that I would dismiss Munoz (how the hell do you get the proper n?) as quickly as some have. He and Centro have built some pretty solid relationships with many unions in the past, including recently. I'm not saying this will help from a GOTV standpoint, although it might, I'm saying that Munoz isn't as simply pro-business as many people think. He is obviously very supportive of labor (what has Dave done for labor?) and can <GASP> probably actually work well with labor and "the business community."

I'm leaning very heavily to Munoz and I think his intelligence is very underestimated.

I take Munoz seriously, but I think he needs to focus on real issues rather than ones that make him appear to have a grudge. I worked w/ him a bit in Bauman's administration and I always thought of him as passionate about issues but also concerned about the other side. However, despite his affiliation w/ CSC, he appears to be taking controversial stances, calling people names, and making small issues big. Streetcars, for example, will not decide the race as it just isn't going to hppen quickly (if it happens at all) and just won't be a massive system that will have a detrimental impact. At least as many people are interested in the streetcars as are not so I just don't think if this is one of his issues, that has has anything tangible to run on.
-a Madison Progressive
madisonprogress

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:18 pm

madisonprogress wrote:as far as the pool is concerned, this had been discussed for years and many people wanted it; I don't think it was very controversial. Some wanted it in a different area, but I don't think it was a big deal.
-a Madison Progressive

Yes, so many people wanted it that it went into the red.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government