MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Downtown Drinking

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Downtown Drinking

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 am

We'll be discussing the plan to limit the number of central city bars and other issues related to downtown drinking on Access: City Hall on Weds., Feb. 14, 7-8 pm on citychannel 12 and online here. Guests: city "bar czar" Joel Plant, Ald. Mike Verveer and Hawk Schenkel. Calls encouraged at 261-9114. Hope you can join us.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Will you serve beer and have the game on?
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Spoken Word » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I don't believe the City and UW really want to curtail drinking a whole lot. Too much revenue being generated.
Spoken Word
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:30 pm

My shmoopy and I will be out wining and dining. The timing of this is just a little unfortunate.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Downtown Drinking

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:38 pm

You should shoot it from a bar.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:26 pm

Mismatch. It's unfair to have a professional (Hawk) up against a couple of amateurs.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 pm

You should shoot it from a bar.

It was considered, as it was for the Halloween episode. It's just a matter of getting audio and video to one of Charter's origination points (City-County Building, Municipal Building, Monona Terrace or Overture.) and working out a switching solution with them. It could be done, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm

bmasel wrote:Mismatch. It's unfair to have a professional (Hawk) up against a couple of amateurs.

You apparently don't know much about Joel or think much of Mike.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Due Dillagence?

Postby Jungleland » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:05 am

long time lurker, just weighing in...

What I would suggest is that as part of the liquor license application, the potential owners of the license would have to submit their business plan.

Does a bar throwing out $.50 pints belong on King Street or Wilson? Probably not. Does it belong anywhere in Madison, that's up for debate. But certainly some common sense of different neighborhoods at the time seems to be appropos. Should an expensive wine and cheese bar move in next door to State Street Brats?

We certainly should not be discouraging any restaurants from opening up through this ordinance. Nor should we discourage any cultural assets from opening, simply because a restaurant or a comedy club or improv bar sells liquor.

The issue to the city clearly is bars that run outrageous specials, that serve no purpose other than hawking beer. As a college town, these types of establishments are part of what goes on. It always will, no matter what the city does. Should the city get into the business of telling private businesses how to operate?

The implications of this go beyond bars, and that is why I would really tread lightly if I was in the city government.
Jungleland

density plan

Postby DjFoundation » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm

I went to the Capitol Neighborhoods meeting just prior to this one and stammered my way through a few points regarding proportional growth and the PTSD symptoms left by the Majestic, but there's one thing I think people fail to grasp. That, or I'm failing to understand specifics of this proposed legislation. Specifics that the powers that be have been drafting for around a year without mentioning it to the public, and are now touting as a solid long term plan.

Does anyone else notice only possible mathematical outcome of this plan is the eventual elimination of all liquor licenses in the downtown area?

This is assuming that licenses are dissolved after 15 days of no business being conducted at a venue, over infinite time, a point about which I may be mistaken. I'm no politician though, someone back me up here...or correct me, please.
DjFoundation

It's a statistical methodology throwdown!

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 pm

DjFoundation wrote:Does anyone else notice only possible mathematical outcome of this plan is the eventual elimination of all liquor licenses in the downtown area? This is assuming that licenses are dissolved after 15 days of no business being conducted at a venue, over infinite time, a point about which I may be mistaken.

Okay, Mr. DJ - put the math down before anyone gets hurt.

I suggest that you use a more realistic temporal frame of reference - like, 30 to 50 years - if you want to gauge the impact of this. Much as I love the City of Madison, I don't expect it, its liquor ordinances - or indeed, anything earthly - to survive over 'infinite time.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:30 pm

15 days is a long time. I doubt there is any bar downtown that doesn't serve at least a few people every day that it is open. Even in the year 32,098,133 it would be hard to imagine.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:37 pm

Hmmm... so as I understand it the plan is that you don't get a license if you don't pay off some city official, and you don't KEEP your license if you don't pay off the local wiseguys who are prone to dropping cigars in waste-baskets (fires can put such ugly holes in schedules, no?). Which makes me wonder if these two eminent and respectable authorities have a gentlemen's agreement about running this plan together?
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Mike S. wrote:Hmmm... so as I understand it the plan is that you don't get a license if you don't pay off some city official, and you don't KEEP your license if you don't pay off the local wiseguys who are prone to dropping cigars in waste-baskets (fires can put such ugly holes in schedules, no?). Which makes me wonder if these two eminent and respectable authorities have a gentlemen's agreement about running this plan together?

What on EARTH are you talking about?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snootyelites » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:16 pm

This drinking plan is a joke and the assumptions on which it is based is even bigger joke.

Capitol Neighborhood Inc came up with this plan and the Joe Plant, the Mayor, Verveer and all other jokers have embraced without too much thinking. This is where the condo dwellers would prefer the students be limited to certain college ghettos. How else do you explain a summer riot on King street was used to set a citywide policy. The anti-student Capitol Neighborhood was also behind the pay to play Halloween Freakfest.

Students are a big part of Madison economy - their representatives like Austin King, Mike Verveer and the Progressive Dane party have taken the for granted. The reality is very different, if you sue this plan will be thrown out for interfering with commerce.

Madison has alcohol problem like we have a cold weather problem or too many Steakhouses problem.

http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/lett ... 00&ntpid=6

Hey Stu & Mike Verveer - how about Steakhouse Density plan ha?
Last edited by snootyelites on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snootyelites

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government