MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

In light of Alder King's compact fluorescent proposal...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby Forum Newbie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 am

I went with all compact fluors at home and have had no problems. I also haven't noticed the "warm up" that much. I spent approximately $45 to change over all of the light bulbs and have easily recouped those costs in six months. I do see an issue with requiring landlords to supply these bulbs if they are required to maintain them as well. The landlords will not always be the beneficiary of the savings, unless they pay the power bill. Of course, landlords could require that all bulbs be compact fluors when a tenant moves out or it will be taken from the deposit.
Forum Newbie

Postby Transfer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:25 am

the lights were cheap for me as well
Transfer

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:57 am

Can I assume, that every bulb in your house will not be required to be changed? What about full-spectrum bulbs for people with SADS, grow-bulbs, and other specialty device bulbs? Will the recycling-disposal of the new bulbs, be made more convenient?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:08 am

Mike S., while the heat loss point is good for winter, it has the opposite effect in summer - it makes air conditioners work harder. I would personally rather use more gas than more electricity, especially if I have to use more electricity in both the light bulb AND my air conditioning.

What do we use for street lamps here? I assume low pressure sodium or high pressure sodium... right? At least they aren't dumb enough to propose we replace those with less efficient lights. Yet.

I think it's dumb to mandate this, because I can almost guarantee that a large percentage of landlords would dump the old bulb in the trash.

We should get a plasma arc gasification plant first, then we can mandate CFL lights since (unless I'm mistaken) they can get gasified just as easily as anything else.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:20 pm

jhain wrote:That could make the difference. You could try the same bulbs upstairs and see if they come up to speed quicker.

Just bought a new pack for upstairs. I'm not sure if they are as dim initially as the ones in the basement, but the difference between when they are just turned on and after a minute or two is quite dramatic. So I don't think temperature is everything.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:35 pm

lukpac wrote:
jhain wrote:That could make the difference. You could try the same bulbs upstairs and see if they come up to speed quicker.

Just bought a new pack for upstairs. I'm not sure if they are as dim initially as the ones in the basement, but the difference between when they are just turned on and after a minute or two is quite dramatic. So I don't think temperature is everything.

As to the temperature issue, I remembered that if they are too cold they either don't turn on or they flicker a lot as they attempt to turn on. My earlier comments about the cold being related to the time it takes to fully brighten were wrong. Sorry, I knew there was an issue with cold but got the two confused..

The one in our front room is very slow to brighten but I've come to really like it. I often turn it on at dusk and marvel at how it brightens as the day dims. Perhaps it will grow on you.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm

jhain wrote:The one in our front room is very slow to brighten but I've come to really like it. I often turn it on at dusk and marvel at how it brightens as the day dims. Perhaps it will grow on you.

Hrmm...it drives me nuts, especially considering these are the only light on that side of the basement. The problem is, I find myself leaving them on when I go upstairs for a while so I don't have to deal with a dim basement when I come back down...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:02 pm

lukpac wrote:
jhain wrote:The one in our front room is very slow to brighten but I've come to really like it. I often turn it on at dusk and marvel at how it brightens as the day dims. Perhaps it will grow on you.

Hrmm...it drives me nuts, especially considering these are the only light on that side of the basement. The problem is, I find myself leaving them on when I go upstairs for a while so I don't have to deal with a dim basement when I come back down...

Too bad they can't sense your intentions and turn on a minute or two before you decided to go down there..
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:08 pm

jhain wrote:Too bad they can't sense your intentions and turn on a minute or two before you decided to go down there..

Yeah!

They should totally have that.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:22 pm

jhain wrote:Too bad they can't sense your intentions and turn on a minute or two before you decided to go down there..

Sounds like the latest house on This Old House. When somebody walks into the bathroom, a motion sensor turns on a pump which starts circulating hot water through the pipes, so one doesn't have to run the tap and purge the cold water out.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 am

I bet you can hook up a remote control with wall penetrating RF or similar and turn the light on before you go downstairs. Like the guy on ally mcbeal who would make a toilet flush before he got there.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government