MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Mike Quieto Thread!!!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby Transfer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:51 pm

It appears to have problems, but the fundamental question I ask is can there be some sort of compromise on key issues to prevent potential fraud? Maybe not a comprehensive solution, but small steps?

I suppose given financial deadlines (in response to your above), that is troublesome, although could the clerk just make LTEs/volunteers sign a waver not to donate money? Some type of legally binding document, as one might sign when they get a lease at an apartment. It's not a perfect solution to all potential fraudulent intent, but it's at least some type of progress.

Alternatively, I ask to the non-trolls of this board, are there alternative solutions out there? Something to balance the need for clean elections, but also freedom of speech and to avoid the loopholes Brandon missed? Excluding a few comments, namely Brenda's above me, this thread seems to be going nowhere fast on a potentially serious issue.
Transfer

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Transfer wrote:Excluding a few comments, namely Brenda's above me, this thread seems to be going nowhere fast on a potentially serious issue.

Show me the seriousness.

Let's review how this whole thing ever came up; it was Zach Brandon's 'october surprise' on election morning.

'Appearance of impropriety' was big in the news at the time - we had the whole Ziegler thing in the paper. Apparently someone at the whatever's left of the Common Sense Coalition meeting put this and Quieto's job together, and figured they'd run it up the flagpole and see how much buzz they could generate from their feigned outrage.

That Quieto's employment broke absolutely no laws was immaterial. Likewise, the fundamental and obvious fact that barring the Mike Quieto's in the world from these forms of employment did absolutely nothing to actually make our elections more secure from voter fraud was, apparently, of secondary importance to the need to protect us all from 'even the appearance of impropriety.'

I would point out the irony of those who find every PD initiative to be a galling example of arrogant waste supporting Zach Brandon's Big Fraud Ordinance/Opening salvo to his inevitable Mayoral campaign.

I guess frivolity is in the eye of the beholder.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Transfer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Trying to have a nice conversation with the alder about the text of the ordinance without making this a troll/political mudslinging event. kthx.
Transfer

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Transfer wrote:Trying to have a nice conversation with the alder about the text of the ordinance without making this a troll/political mudslinging event. kthx.

That's adorable. 'A nice conversation with the alder' - maybe they'll have huckleberry pie!

I'm questioning why there's an ordinance in the first place, and for someone to explain to me and the rest of the citizens of Madison how this is anything more than an exercise in political theater. If the ordinance is pointless on its face, who cares about the minutiae of the wording?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Transfer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:47 pm

*sigh* it was adorable.
Transfer

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government