MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Time for John Matthews to Retire

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Time for John Matthews to Retire

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:25 pm

Dulouz wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Bill Rotherman wrote:Time for John Matthews to Retire

Matthews is the executive director of a teachers' union. Shouldn't that decision be left up to the members of that union?

How much of a "decision" do union members get?

MTI members elect their own governing body, who must approve the contract of the director. Although I am recently retired, I know of no movement among teachers to get rid of Matthews. He has served its membership well.

I did hear that he will go out with Rainwater (who has announced a June 08 retirement). But others say he'll bow out about three days after he is put under the ground.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 pm

The union is obviously happy with him, as their concern is their contract, not how their leader is percieved. (Although it is unclear to me how not saying stupid things would make him less able to perform his duties)

Anyone that has the conflict of interest that he does had better be good at his job, or he won't last long.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby proletariat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Well, I have a new found love for Matthews. I like it that he's coming out of his shell a bit.

While I can care less about Karl, Matthews is right on when it comes to Johnny and other who want teachers heads on the chopping block. I know there are some who are furious S. Dakota has our rightful 50th place for new teacher pay.
proletariat

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government