MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Clifford loses election...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby Woe Now » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:43 pm

dstol62 wrote:I wonder if WMC told Ziegler to wear the "little number that sells"...

Wow, it smells like sour grapes in here.
Woe Now
Forum Addict

Postby bmasel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:17 pm

Clifford Got 45,000 less votes than Brunner got in losing the last open seat Supreme Court race 4 years ago. Ziegler, meanwhile, snagged 80,000 more than Roggensack.

No amount of negative campaigning is going to pull Republican voters from the WMC candidate, so the challenge was to convince 482,665 folks to show up and vote for you.

The early work on Louis re-election is deeper education on the role of the Court. The currently framing is a gimme for a â??tough on crimeâ?Â
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Aubrey McFate » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Well, the Ethics Board is going after Ziegler now, and they're asking for a monetary penalty.

Press release
Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby goofticket » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:54 am

The Judicial Commission is also investigating her actions and they have the authority to remove her from the court.
They just might do that, as the Supreme Court itself would vote on that action of removal.
It's not a big deal. Doyle would appoint someone to take the seat in Sept and there would be a new election next spring. We would vote for two instead of just one.

No loss, if she goes...but a big one if she stays.
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Ziegler Strikes Deal With State Ethics Board

Ziegler admitted on Wednesday afternoon to a violation of the law, paid a $5,000 forfeiture and will pay the board costs for the prosecution, which will likely total about $12,000, attorney Jonathan Becker said in a news release.

But that's not the end to it.
Last week, the state Supreme Court ruled it won't dismiss the complaint against Ziegler that the board filed.

The deal won't stop an ongoing investigation by the state Judicial Commission into possible indiscretions. The panel is looking into those cases and others that Ziegler heard involving companies in which she owns at least $50,000 in stock. The investigation could lead to her being kicked off the court, WISC-TV reported.

So if Ziegler is kicked off (I assume that means through the impeachment process, which doesn't seem likely), does Doyle appoint her replacement or is a special election called?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So if Ziegler is kicked off (I assume that means through the impeachment process, which doesn't seem likely), does Doyle appoint her replacement or is a special election called?

From Wikipedia: In the event of a vacancy on the court, the governor has the power to appoint an individual to the vacancy, but that justice must then stand for election in the first year where no other justice's term expires.

That'll really piss off WMC if Ziegler is booted and Dolye appoints Linda Clifford. Instant karma, baby. Well, almost instant.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 pm

I'd hope Doyle would appoint someone with better prospects of re-election.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 16, 2007 9:12 pm

bmasel wrote:I'd hope Doyle would appoint someone with better prospects of re-election.

Considering it's a 10 year term, the "no judicial experience" argument would be voided and Wisconsin has rarely voted out a sitting Supreme Court Justice.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Thu May 17, 2007 1:40 am

white_rabbit wrote:
Considering it's a 10 year term, the "no judicial experience" argument would be voided and Wisconsin has rarely voted out a sitting Supreme Court Justice.

Presuming the wikipedia article upthread's accurate, the appointee would stand for re-election in spring of '09. I'm not sure my 1st choice would appreciate being named here, and it might not help his/her chances of being picked by the Gov.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government