MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Former State CIO- Respons. for $100's of millions in waste

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Former State CIO- Respons. for $100's of millions in waste

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 am

I'm wondering why the Doyle Administration is not being held responsible for the stunning waste of money that has come to light after a a recent state audit.

Matt Miszewski, the State CIO who resigned in February appears to have had very little Information Technology experience prior to being appointed to the state's top IT job. What qualified him for this post? Or is it a case of Mark Marotta, who has a long history with Mr. Miszewski, taking care of his friend?

Miszewski was a labor attorney who created a "gas saving" website prior to becoming the state CIO. He also appears to have run a one person (himself) basic consulting company that focused on tiny little websites. This company was called "Topical Networks", yet, there is almost no record of it anywhere on the net. Again, it appears that he never led any significant project, and wouldn't even be a qualified hire as a junior project manager, yet alone a CIO!

I'm kind of amazed that no one in the media is picking this up.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 am

They have. The WSJ did 2 front page Sunday articles on both him and the 'conversion' about 3 weeks ago.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks Paco, but again I'm curious why the media hasn't simply asked Doyle "What about this individual led you to believe he is qualified?"

It is certainly suspect that Marotta knew this guy for years. And comments of "He founded a tech company" mean nothing. Anyone can create a "tech company" by filing the requisite fees to incorporate. That doesn't mean you actually have to do any work.

I get the sense that this guy ran a couple of websites out of his basement, as little more than a hobby. And this qualifies him how? I just think that the Doyle administration totaly fucked up and should be held responsible. Would you hire a certified nursing assistant to be the head of your cardiology department?

This just strikes me as almost negligence.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:26 am

Many of these projects started before Doyle. Not that his administration should get a pass by any means, but these failures have been in the works for a long period of time.

And it's not particularly comforting to see that one of the new guy's solutions is to create a new bureau. I hope the plan is to resource the new one by getting rid of an old one, otherwise it's just the same old DOA empire-building that got us into this mess.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:59 pm

there's plenty of blame to go around;the State legislators that think they know more than IT profesionals (they don't), DOA, DET, contractors hired, poor planning by everyone, ......and this is only one big project snafu. Ther's plenty these days of fucked up IT Projects.

And it all started with Doyle's "I want to lay off 10k employees".
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lolla-Lee-Lou » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Miszewski was completely clueless. Couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. Left the Division of Enterprise Technology in worse shape than he found it, which was difficult to do since his predecessor was even more clueless. The State hasn't had anyone competent in the CIO position since it was created. I'm hoping the new guy turns out better. There's some reason for optimism since he was an internal hire, from DOR, and actually has IT experience. Creating a new bureau to address the audit concerns doesn't necessarily sound like a good idea though.
Lolla-Lee-Lou

Return to Local Politics & Government