MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Council Appointment Catfight

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Council Appointment Catfight

Postby spanky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:12 pm

So the Mayor doesnâ??t reappoint Konkel to IZ, Housing, TIF and Plan Commission. It takes a deal brokered on council floor to get her on new seats for the TIF and IZ committees and Verveer gives up his seat on the Housing Committee for her all to keep her off the Plan Commission. The deal, apparently was brokered by Verveer, Brandon and the Mayor with input from whom?

Is there this much bad blood between the mayor and Konkel, or was this a deal put forward by Brandon and administered by the Mayorâ??s office â?? and if so in return for what?

Thoughts?

Link
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Council Appointment Catfight

Postby Taxed » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:32 pm

spanky wrote:So the Mayor doesnâ??t reappoint Konkel to IZ, Housing, TIF and Plan Commission. The deal, apparently was brokered by Verveer, Brandon and the Mayor with input from whom?
Moses? Solomon? God? Dr. Phil?
Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Dulouz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm

spanky wrote:
Is there this much bad blood between the mayor and Konkel?

Yes.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:53 pm

Dulouz wrote:
spanky wrote:

Yes.

Well, more correctly, he hates me that much. A free beer to anyone who can guess why . . . and then get the Mayor to admit it.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:02 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
spanky wrote:

Yes.

Well, more correctly, he hates me that much. A free beer to anyone who can guess why . . . and then get the Mayor to admit it.

That's not even minimum wage!
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Like_Stink » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
spanky wrote:

Yes.

Okay, um....perhaps you pronounced his name wrong (something he said makes it come out 'Kissinger' when I say it)?
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Post Election Blues

Postby lifelongmadison » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:24 pm

As the shoe drops and alders jockey for position and status,'Bringing Joe Home' may have alienated Alder Konkel more than she realised. I admit that is an off the cuff and uninformed reference, but it does resonate. I admire Alder Konkel for her beliefs and positions, but she seems to be behind the curve in pure political intrigue.
It was obvious that there were going to be big changes coming, considering the choice not to run by Alder King, and the other openings that surfaced. It seems to me that poor decisions were made (Light Bulbs) and the unending and vitriolic campaign against Alder Palm, who was clearly liked by his constituents, ultimately left a wide open door for PD's opponents. Democrats, benefitting from the fighting, enjoyed the fight, confident that they could pick up the pieces with say.... Alders Verveer and Bruer. These developments gave the always happy Mitch and Vicki the open door to spin and spin, and gave Alder Brandon a unique opportunity to serve the kool-aid to all that were thirsty. All this while Alder Verveer slowly but surely continued to build his reputation and political capital by doing his job as an assistant Dis. Atty., honing his considerable political skills and being on the news weekly, if not daily, giving him the name recognition and and new stature as council president to hopefully hone his skills as someone who can bridge the gap between the emerging tri faction in the council. What happens next?
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Re: Post Election Blues

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:33 pm

lifelongmadison wrote:It seems to me that poor decisions were made (Light Bulbs) and the unending and vitriolic campaign against Alder Palm, who was clearly liked by his constituents, ultimately left a wide open door for PD's opponents. Democrats, benefitting from the fighting, enjoyed the fight, confident that they could pick up the pieces with say.... Alders Verveer and Bruer.

Huh?

Dave supported Vicky.

Vicky and Larry are both Democrats.

Verveer is PD.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:Well, more correctly, he hates me that much. A free beer to anyone who can guess why . . . and then get the Mayor to admit it.

That sounds like a lot of work for a beer, how about a pitcher.

But seriously, In your blog Brenda it seems like you painting yourself as a bystander in the renegotiation of the appointments. You must have been heavily involved in this renegotiation, no? (This is a question not an accusation).

I didn't have the opportunity to witness this debacle first hand...
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Post Election Blues

Postby lifelongmadison » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:54 pm

lukpac wrote:
lifelongmadison wrote:It seems to me that poor decisions were made (Light Bulbs) and the unending and vitriolic campaign against Alder Palm, who was clearly liked by his constituents, ultimately left a wide open door for PD's opponents. Democrats, benefitting from the fighting, enjoyed the fight, confident that they could pick up the pieces with say.... Alders Verveer and Bruer.

Huh?

Dave supported Vicky.

Vicky and Larry are both Democrats.

Verveer is PD.

Exactly... I didnt profess to know all and that race wasnt mine to vote in, but the illusion was there, with the debate, and radio coverage, I may have had a sip, my mistake... still... I respect PD and what they stand for, but I still think they overreached a bit without any capital to cover the debt... And it just proves my point that Alder Verveer can be very politically savvy.
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Why does the mayor hate Brenda?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 pm

harrissimo wrote:Why does the mayor hate Brenda?

You are going to have to work harder than that, there is beer on the line!!
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 pm

spanky wrote:
Brenda Konkel wrote:Well, more correctly, he hates me that much. A free beer to anyone who can guess why . . . and then get the Mayor to admit it.

That sounds like a lot of work for a beer, how about a pitcher.

But seriously, In your blog Brenda it seems like you painting yourself as a bystander in the renegotiation of the appointments. You must have been heavily involved in this renegotiation, no? (This is a question not an accusation).

I didn't have the opportunity to witness this debacle first hand...

OK - A pitcher.

And Verveer and Bruer did the negotiating for me . . . the Mayor and his staff never talked to me, not even once. My concern was about IZ Oversight, TIF and demolitions. IZ was offered immediately, they said they'd think about TIF. I said no, I wanted to be assured. They said yes and that they would create the extra positions and appoint me to both committees and I said I wanted a public commitment and to make sure Zach et al didn't block my appointment. That was the extent of my involvement. I would have LOVED to have heard the conversation going on across the room! Also, I would have preferred we referred this to the Mayor's office and we sat down and talked about it as adults and with some more time to problem solve . . . but since they don't want to talk to me, they really didn't want that to happen. This whole thing is so kids-in-a-sandbox and ridiculous even I have to laugh about it.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:I would have LOVED to have heard the conversation going on across the room!

Yeah, even though (or probably because) this was so overly political, and last-minute-ish, it would have been fun to eavesdrop. Plus maybe then Iâ??d be one step closer to that pitcher â?? so to speak.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Let me show you how it's done...

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
spanky wrote:

Yes.

Brenda, he hates you because you are fabulous.

Right, Mayor Dave? If this isn't the reason, post the real reason before 5:00 pm Thursday, April 19th. Failure to respond will be taken as confirmation of your hate for Brenda's fabulousness.

I'll take receipt of my pitcher at The Harmony at approximately 9:45 p.m.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government