MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Council Appointment Catfight

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby universitylad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Apparently, laddie, you're not too familiar with the legislative process. There's a world of difference between being on the committee and "offering advice" from afar. You know, little things like making motions, having a protected right to debate, voting.

But there is no reason for her to be on the committees if she is not a plan commission member. The committees seem to have worked hitherto without a Housing Committee member. She could just pass along her comments to the next person. As far as making motion, debating, voting, etc...that can be left to those actually on the committee...they can take her advice or leave it. Why does she have to have a vote?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

A friend of mine who attended many of the meetings for the Blair st. apartment project a few years ago, predicted that Konkel was being given her positions of power as a slow but sure way of getting rid of her. Give her the shovel and she will dig her own hole. I'm tending to think he was right.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Taxed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:13 am

narcoleptish wrote:A friend of mine who attended many of the meetings for the Blair st. apartment project a few years ago, predicted that Konkel was being given her positions of power as a slow but sure way of getting rid of her. Give her the shovel and she will dig her own hole. I'm tending to think he was right.

You struck oil. She passed that up and is digging her way to hell.
Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby universitylad » Thu May 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Suoiragerg wrote:
So Brenda gets the Compton treatment when it comes to committees.

What is the Compton treatment?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bada_bingus » Mon May 21, 2007 6:13 pm

universitylad wrote:What is the Compton treatment?

The "Compton treatment" refers to Dave playing partisan politics when minimizing an alder's influence through limiting committee appointments. For example, rookies like Satya and Mark get major appointments to the Board of Estimates while one of the most senior council members, Judy, has no major appointments. Ped-bike is her only "big" appointment but of a lower order than Plan Commission where she served 'til banished by Dave.
bada_bingus
Forum Addict

Postby Daisy » Mon May 21, 2007 6:20 pm

bada_bingus wrote:The "Compton treatment" refers to Dave playing partisan politics when minimizing an alder's influence through limiting committee appointments.
Horseshit.

Anyone who screws Compton AND Konkel is demonstrably not being partisan. :D
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woe Now » Mon May 21, 2007 6:51 pm

Brenda is a bitter sex starved beast. Dave should just put a bag over her head and get it over with. Maybe they would rekindle that "PD" kinship.

When are her "15 minutes" up anyway?
Last edited by Woe Now on Mon May 21, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woe Now
Forum Addict

Postby Nasty Gurl » Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Daisy wrote:Anyone who screws Compton AND Konkel is demonstrably not being partisan. :D

Anyone who screws Compton AND Konkel is demonstrably not being picky. :?
Nasty Gurl

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Coupla comments:

1) the symmetry of Compton on the right and now Brenda on the left being shut out of desirable committee appointments isn't meaningless. I mean, Mayor Dave is positioning himself as a centrist in order to accomplish whatever it is he wants to accomplish, and is making centrist picks. A lot of other things may play into it (though I don't buy the sexist argument) but you could easily write the whole thing off to political considerations. The knowledgeability and hard work Brenda brings to the table evidently weren't enough to outweigh the politics, and that's a perfectly valid basis for making an appointment.

Another explanation might lie along these lines: given a choice, most people don't want to work with someone who is publicly saying things to make them look bad. I am not sure where the fine line between bare-bones honesty and tact should be drawn, but one could argue it has been crossed more than once here.

2) Being in Palm's district, here's my take on why he won: he did doors. He doggedly, persistently, unendingly did doors. He stopped by my house at least five times before he found me at home, leaving little handwritten notes and enough literature to fill a shoebox. I wanted to get his take, so when I finally got the chance I interviewed him at length and he presented himself well enough, really, to convince the average person to vote for him. (Didn't help that he had the ever-natty Zach Brandon along to hold his hand the whole time, which I found baffling.)

In contrast, I got ONE leaflet from his opponent and I never had a chance to talk with her at all. It was a non-campaign. I voted for her anyway but it wasn't because she did vigorous, effective outreach. I was really disappointed -- that was one seat that should have turned over and it failed to.

Doing doors really makes a difference. When I consider most of the people I've gotten to know in this neighborhood, I think Vicki would have been a better fit and a welcome change, but she didn't put in enough face time. Maybe next election -- I'd like to see her win office.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Taxed » Tue May 22, 2007 8:13 am

snoqueen wrote:The knowledgeability and hard work Brenda brings to the table evidently weren't enough to outweigh the politics, and that's a perfectly valid basis for making an appointment.
That's a very generous point of view. Another analogy might be that a family can no longer just lock the crazy daughter in the basement so nobody sees the freak of nature that has been dumped in their lap. So, you just take the sharp toys away from her and hope she doesn't drool on any of the family's friends.
Taxed
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government