MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Don't Even Think About It!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby piltdown » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:12 pm

harrissimo wrote:Hey Thomas what's the story with you and Cieslewicz? Is he like your hero or something? Is he like the big brother you never had? Do you believe he is the second coming of Christ? I mean what's up with your constant sucking up to Mayor Dave? You two got something goin' on?

Hey, don't knock the man-love thing unless you've tried it.
piltdown
Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Postby Daisy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 pm

harrissimo wrote:Hey Thomas what's the story with you and Cieslewicz? Is he like your hero or something? I mean what's up with your constant sucking up to Mayor Dave? You two got something goin' on? Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Please don't project your NAMBLA-type fantasies onto me. I assure you I have a strictly platonic relationship with your mayor. And besides, ours is way hotter.
harrissimo wrote:Do you believe he is the second coming of Christ?
Didn't know you believe in The Sequel. Can't you get thrown out of temple for that shit? :shock:
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:51 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Don't you think it's time those who are anti-streetcar (and that's a broad coalition) put up or shut up? Does this need to be like the smoking ban where the opponents just wait until it's law before they start complaining?

In case any of you are wondering, now is the moment when you need to make yourselves heard on this issue. Go to a meeting. Write an email. Call your alder. This isn't going to happen if the city doesn't want it and from where I sit, it seems pretty clear that the city doesn't want it.

This is a democracy, and don't let the know-nothing fatalists persuade you to think otherwise. It's amazing to me how much power these right-winger want to assign to those who oppose them, as if going with all this rhetoric about the mayor and the council forcing stuff down our throat is at all motivational to the general public. Decisions are made by those in the room, so get in the room.

Now, the commuter rail thing is another matter and I'm afraid that the dingbats on the right are lumping them all in together simply because they seem to want to resist all efforts to be an environmentally responsible society.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby forwardourmotto » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:In case any of you are wondering, now is the moment when you need to make yourselves heard on this issue. Go to a meeting. Write an email. Call your alder. This isn't going to happen if the city doesn't want it and from where I sit, it seems pretty clear that the city doesn't want it.


That would never work.

I'm pretty sure you meant to type:

"You should complain on the DailyPage and then make snarky comments and trade insults with one another."
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Don't Even Think About It!

Postby Woe Now » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:53 pm

harrissimo wrote:The mayor should be warned: do not even think about going back on your promise to hold a streetcar referendum.

I voted for Cieslewicz because he won me over despite my strong opposition to streetcars. If he hadn't promised to hold a referendum I would not have voted for him.

If he goes forward with the streetcar project without holding a referendum I will view it as a betrayal.

I am just one little shmuck with no power other than my vote but I will do everything in my power to end his political career. One little shmuck can't do much but if you get a whole lot of obnoxious shmucks like me against you we can turn your life into a living hell.

So Cieslewicz do the right the things and have that referendum.

<predicition>The voters will not approve streetcars</prediction>


Yep, Daveâ??s honeymoon is over. We are all watching very closely and he is under a powerful microscope.
Woe Now
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:10 pm

Postby harrissimo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:32 pm

jjoyce wrote:Don't you think it's time those who are anti-streetcar (and that's a broad coalition) put up or shut up? Does this need to be like the smoking ban where the opponents just wait until it's law before they start complaining?

In case any of you are wondering, now is the moment when you need to make yourselves heard on this issue. Go to a meeting. Write an email. Call your alder. This isn't going to happen if the city doesn't want it and from where I sit, it seems pretty clear that the city doesn't want it.


I can only speak for myself but I have been doing more than just making snarky comments on this forum.

I attended mayoral debates and forums. I questioned candidates on their position regarding street cars. I also had extended conversations with friends and neighbors regarding this issue. I attended the public events at the Monona Terrace (an event the mayor chose to duck by the way).

Also, I have done research on my own regarding streetcars in other cities.

I will continue to do whatever I can. But I am just an ordinary citizen. I am not on any boards or committees. I am not an elected official. And I don't work for a newspaper or run a major web forum.

One thing I can do is make a lot of noise and vote!

I feel it is rather arrogant of you Jason to simply assume that all those who are against the streetcars are doing is making snarky posts on this forum.

Smoking ban is one thing Street Cars are another. Don't confuse the two issues.

Finally, at least some of us have the balls to state what our position is - so what is your position on streetcars Jason? For or against? And your reason why.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:59 pm

harrissimo wrote:Finally, at least some of us have the balls to state what our position is - so what is your position on streetcars Jason? For or against? And your reason why.


Why does everyone have to have a position?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Postby spanky » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:12 am

harrissimo wrote:
spanky wrote:Ewwww. Have you seen where that thing has been?!?!


What "thing" are you refering to?


Y'know.... .... ..... ..... Dave's......thing...y!

harrissimo wrote:And thanks for accepting my post with a sense of humour.


Shhhheeeeeeeit if it weren't fer fun why would we all be here??
Last edited by spanky on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:57 am

Postby spanky » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:15 am

lukpac wrote:
harrissimo wrote:Finally, at least some of us have the balls to state what our position is - so what is your position on streetcars Jason? For or against? And your reason why.


Why does everyone have to have a position?


Not everyone has to. But if you don't, or if you can't articulate it - shut your goddamn piehole!
spanky
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:57 am

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:12 am

spanky wrote:
lukpac wrote:
harrissimo wrote:Finally, at least some of us have the balls to state what our position is - so what is your position on streetcars Jason? For or against? And your reason why.


Why does everyone have to have a position?


Not everyone has to. But if you don't, or if you can't articulate it - shut your goddamn piehole!


Make me.

OK, that was fun. I am opposed to streetcars. However, I am in favor of light rail, along the lines of that contemplated by the Transport 2020 group. It just makes more sense in terms of moving people and keeping cars off the roads.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:36 pm

I support both streetcars and commuter rail. Multimodal systems work best when you have, well, multiple modes. Streetcars work well as circulators in a dense downtown environment. Commuter rail connects to outlying areas and provides quick access to major centers of activity. Buses fill in the blanks. Connect it all to faster and more frequent intercity service and you're set.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:20 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Like_Stink » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Ed Breakfast wrote:I support both streetcars and commuter rail. Multimodal systems work best when you have, well, multiple modes. Streetcars work well as circulators in a dense downtown environment. Commuter rail connects to outlying areas and provides quick access to major centers of activity. Buses fill in the blanks. Connect it all to faster and more frequent intercity service and you're set.


I do recall all the theory from grad school, but density was a primary element in the calculations. It's difficult to find the 200,000 population cities without mandated restraints to growth where this has been workable.
Like_Stink
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar