MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

No more second-hand cd stores?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

No more second-hand cd stores?

Postby What The » Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... bitte.html
What The

Postby harrissimo » Tue May 08, 2007 1:13 pm

Jesus, this sucks a big dick!
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 08, 2007 1:41 pm

How is this any different from the ordinance that already exists in Madison which demands you provide ID when selling CDs to a used shop? Same goes for the new textbook ordinance being discussed in another thread... same thing.

People feel one way about this kind of thing, until they get their entire CD and book collections ripped off while in vacation in Muncie and want a few law enforcement tools to track it down.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue May 08, 2007 2:07 pm

"The music industry has never been a big fan of the Doctrine of First Sale, and the rise of digital music sales will only exacerbate the tension between consumers who believe that they "own" what they pay for..."

Not sure what the Doctrine of First Sale is but - So,.... what? I don't own the cd, I'm just renting it for as long as I want? Can I give it away? How 'bout to my local library?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby jimoo » Tue May 08, 2007 3:13 pm

I wish this was enforced when someone broke into my east side storage unit and stole about 1000 CDs from it. I have obscure tastes, and found many of them for sale in a State Street record store.
jimoo
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Tue May 08, 2007 4:09 pm

The Doctrine of First Sale means that once you purchase a tape or CD, you own it and are free to give it away or sell it to another party without obtaining permission from the copyright holder.

DRM was invented in order to combat this Supreme Court-backed limitation on copyright. DRM is rent to never-own.

Without this decision, you would never be able to give away a crappy CD that you didn't like without obtaining consent from the copyright holder, at which time, knowing the RIAA, they would charge you for it again.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 08, 2007 4:33 pm

I worked at Disc Go Round when our local ordinance was passed and trust me, most of this stuff simply won't happen.

We were given fingerprinting kits.
# of fingerprints we took: 0.

We were told that we couldn't sell stuff for a week after we purchased it.
# of days that policy lasted: 2.

We were told that we had to make a list of EVERY CD we purchased.
# of customers we actually did that for: maybe 50%.

We were given a loooooong form demanding "vital" statistics like height, weight, hair and eye color and birthdate, along with reasonable stuff like name and address.
% of the form we actually required customers to fill out: about 10.

That said, those claiming CD theft isn't a problem are simply wrong. But law enforcement have no fucking clue how to stop it and, as usual, are just going through the motions of trying to make a difference.

Of course, the simplest solution involves law enforcement not at all - used CD stores should stop buying obviously stolen goods. Instead, they generally just pretend they don't notice and/or hide behind the "we don't want to accuse our customers of being criminals" line because ... well, they're nearly as slimy as the thieves. It really didn't take me long on the job to spot the crooks and all you have to say is, "sorry, we can't use those", not "these are stolen!"
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jack_02 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:26 am

This is nothing but ridiculous to me. I have been serving myself in one of the most reputed consultants the Arizona PEO Company and each employee was furious to hear this! After all it is totally our decision as to what we do with our belongings be it a CD or anything else. We do have every right to exercise the belonging as we can this new rule is utter rubbish! I think this will inspire piracy more!
jack_02

Return to Local Politics & Government