MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Legislature to Get Rid of Line-Item Veto Tyranny!!!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Legislature to Get Rid of Line-Item Veto Tyranny!!!

Postby HooferX » Sat May 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Sen. Risser has agreed to begin hearings on getting rid of the anti-democratic line item veto power Wisconsin's Governor enjoys today. Thank you Sen. Risser and other Democrats for seeing the big picture on this constitutional mistake. This is genuine leadership for sure! One can always count on Democrats to do the right thing ultimately. Let's get this thing back on the referendum ballot, where the People can restore the proper constitutional balance.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=136631

What: Public Hearing on Restoring Legislative Power to the Legislature, Where It Belongs in America
Where: State Capitol, Committee on Ethics Reform and Government Operations
When: June 18

All democrats (spelled with a small "d") can rejoice and be happy. :)
Last edited by HooferX on Tue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooferX
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Mon May 28, 2007 9:26 am

This is one of those things that you love when utter bullshit is being passed by a conservative legislature and hate when a conservative governor uses it to take the teeth off of a good bill.

I'm more concerned about it at the federal level though.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 28, 2007 9:38 am

Beer Moon wrote:I'm more concerned about it at the federal level though.

The Constitution does not allow the president to line item veto. It's all or nothing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Mon May 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Darn it.

Since the timing at this point is academic, I wanted Risser to hang on until that freaky Frankenstein in the WSJ got to 100 marks on his forehead. Maybe it would eat up half the editorial page?

I'm all in favor of getting rid of Wisconsin's idiotic letter-item veto. But I found the "crusade" by the local paper to be a manufactured issue. It was going to come up for a vote sooner or later.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 am

Yeah, I wanted him to hang on until it either took up the whole page, or until they had to shrink his head to accomodate all the marks.

It's amazing how it wasn't such a big deal when Tommy was in office, but now it is.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HooferX » Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Doubtless, some against the Line Item Veto today are mere Republican political hacks who hate Doyle. Still, getting rid of the Line Item Veto, for respectable or self-serving political reasons, will make it harder for Monarchists at both the State and Federal levels to seize complete governmental control. Condemning it as a freakish mutation of democratic government in Wisconsin and other states will serve to bolster democracy in America overall against this clandestine threat to the Constitution from within. The longer it goes unchecked here, the greater the risk the People will grow used to living under the idea of autocratic control by those "trained" to govern us in the Executive Branch alone.

"For decades, Presidential Administrations have sought to wrap their fingers around the purse strings, push away the Congress, and ignore the Constitution. It does not matter which Administration. It does not matter the political party of the President. What matters is nothing more than raw power. Congress has it. The Executive Branch wants it -- and will use any excuse to get it."

See also:
http://www.historians.org/perspectives/issues/2004/0401/0401con1.cfm
HooferX
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government