MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Play "Rip the Mask off the Donkey"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who's your favorite "Democrat"-in-denial?

Joltin' Joe Lieberman
7%
Jim lock-'em-up Doyle
36%
Roger Breske: look there's a "D" next to my name!
14%
Zach Botha Brandon ("Straight outta Cape Town!")
43%

Total votes : 14

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 pm

I am confused because when he first broke on to the political scene my whole street was like, THANK GOD finally a Dem with some common sense in this town. Then I read here that he isn't a Dem. Is he or isn't he? Does he support Bush? My head hurts...
TheNewGuy

Postby Minty Fresh » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:09 pm

Floyd wrote:is it my imagination or is Minty Fresh the name or marketing slogan for a feminine hygiene product?
Close.

I wore a mint-flavored condom while being fellated by your wife, who found the effect rather bracing upon her accomodating palate.

"That is Minty Fresh!" :D
Minty Fresh
Forum Addict

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:18 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:I am confused because when he first broke on to the political scene my whole street was like, THANK GOD finally a Dem with some common sense in this town. Then I read here that he isn't a Dem. Is he or isn't he? Does he support Bush? My head hurts...

If head hurts, you're not doing it right.

Brandon is a Democrat whose views would place him to the left of most Democrats in Missouri for example, and to the right of most Democrats in Boston. In Madison eleven or twelve very loud public servants try to position him in a jump-seat on Ronald Reagan's Harley.

Rest easy. He is a Democrat . . . a moderate Democrat long on common sense who came to the public's attention when he suggested that city government stop its policy of ever-growing spending and the resultant every-growing taxation.

Now he is the target of Council members who never met a proposal they didn't like and want to fund with your tax dollars. I you want seven $70,000 bus shelters on the square, Zach ain't your man.
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Floyd wrote:Brandon is a Democrat whose views would place him to the left of most Democrats in Missouri for example
*sigh* He's a dreamboat...

Look, if I wanted to live by Missouri standards, I'd be living in Missouri.
Floyd wrote:a moderate Democrat
Right. And it's perfectly legit to debate whether that's the brand of "democrat" who should not only define our party nationally, but here in Madison. I'll have no problem supporting another southern DLC Dem nationally, but I'm not going to be told that locally we need to settle for whatever the good people of the South deem acceptable.
Floyd wrote:came to the public's attention when he suggested that city government stop its policy of ever-growing spending and the resultant every-growing taxation.
For the hundredth time, the mayor's budget, passed by the council without conservative votes, made millions in cuts despite each of Zach's amendments going down in flames. You're setting up a rather false paradigm.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:32 pm

Minty Fresh wrote:
Floyd wrote:is it my imagination or is Minty Fresh the name or marketing slogan for a feminine hygiene product?
Close.

I wore a mint-flavored condom while being fellated by your wife, who found the effect rather bracing upon her accomodating palate.

"That is Minty Fresh!" :D

I remember when she came home that night. She had mint on her breath and was singing the old Peggy Lee song, "Is that all there is?"

She asked me to remind her to take a magnifying glass next time she went out

Now I understand!

ps - you sound like you are not doing so well. Is that broom stick up your ass longer than your legs and making it hard to walk?
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Daisy wrote:it's perfectly legit to debate whether that's the brand of "democrat" who should not only define our party nationally, but here in Madison.

Only if you want to beat Bush.

Like it or not . . . a candidate who wins in Madison is not automatically the one who will win when the entire nation votes. No amount of name recognition and financial support could propel someone with the political views of, say Austin Konkel, to a competative place in the electoral process. PD should it try to take its views nationally would be about as popular as VD.
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:47 pm

Floyd wrote:Only if you want to beat Bush.

Like it or not . . . a candidate who wins in Madison is not automatically the one who will win when the entire nation votes. No amount of name recognition and financial support could propel someone with the political views of, say Austin Konkel, to a competative place in the electoral process. PD should it try to take its views nationally would be about as popular as VD.
We agree. I just said I'd have no problem supporting someone like Edwards for that very reason.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:58 pm

PS: I'm just suggesting that what's possible on a national level shouldn't define the limitations of what we do locally. You're right, Madison ISN'T like every other place in the country. Some of us have made our home here because of that, not in spite of it.

It's ok that the land isn't completely homogenized, and that there are places which, in whatever way, follow the beat of their own drummer. If there were no party towns like New Orleans and little church towns, no redneck havens and progressive bastions - if the entire nation were one big, homogenous, character-free suburbia of pro-choice economic conservatives, it wouldn't be much fun.

Fortunately for you, the latter model is well-represented through the land, so if that's your ideal go for it.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:08 pm

Daisy wrote:and that there are places which, in whatever way, follow the beat of their own drummer. If there were no party towns like New Orleans and little church towns, no redneck havens and progressive bastions - if the entire nation were one big, homogenous, character-free suburbia of pro-choice economic conservatives, it wouldn't be much fun.

Say, did you know that was the verse they had to edit out of Ron Reagan's "Morning in America" ad? I can't believe you knew that!

PS - I choose to be here also. Love the city and enjoy exchanging views with bright people who have bad ideas.
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Floyd wrote:Say, did you know that was the verse they had to edit out of Ron Reagan's "Morning in America" ad?
Yeah, I'm still pissed that some of my early work ended up on the RNC's cutting-room floor.
Floyd wrote:PS - I choose to be here also. Love the city and enjoy exchanging views with bright people who have bad ideas.
That's cool, I respect that. But just like Austin King shouldn't move to Alabama and expect his brand of democrat to be all the rage, being in Madison and being shocked - OUTRAGED - to find lefties well-represented is a bit silly. Kinda like denouncing hookers and booze in the French Quarter.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:14 pm

Daisy wrote:But just like Austin King shouldn't move to Alabama and expect his brand of democrat to be all the rage, being in Madison and being shocked - OUTRAGED - to find lefties well-represented is a bit silly. Kinda like denouncing hookers and booze in the French Quarter.

Outraged? I just express my slightly minority-in-Madison views in a room primarily populated by slightly majority-in-Madison folks. I think the outrage my be that I won't cave in to arguments most here consider logical. Its okay, 9 of 11 on the Council voted yes on a tax cap. That's just two seat changes from a flip-flop on the vote. It's just not that lonely for me in Madison. I feel safe walking down State Street. That's good, and I wish Austin King could feel safe walking down Robert E. Lee Lane in Muscle Shoals. Madison sure has that difference going for it.

Did you say there are hookers in the French Quarter? Are they in public housing also?
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government