MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

KOSCHNICK ENDORSED BY NOTORIOUS COP KILLER

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: KOSCHNICK ENDORSED BY NOTORIOUS COP KILLER

Postby Woofer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 pm

The issue is not negative political advertising... of course we all know that it is ubiquitous each election season. No, my point was the specific message of the ads during the last Supreme Court race compared to this one. The message from Gableman and WMC was coordinated and consistent: Louis Butler was a former public defender and his performance in that role got him deemed "Loophole Louie" and "soft on crime." This time around, the conservative candidate is the one who has that public defender background and now, somehow, that's all right. I can assure you you won't see Shirley Abrahamson impugning that aspect of Koshnick's background. WMC is staying out of it... they prefer Koshnick, but their support is tepid and behind the scenes. I suppose I shouldn't be astonished by the hypocrisy... BUT I AM!
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Hey AV
Why do you bother typing such long commentaries? Do you think anybody here actually cares what you think about any of these topics?

Here's a clue -- we don't.

But, hey, knock yourself out.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Woofer wrote:The issue is not negative political advertising... of course we all know that it is ubiquitous each election season. No, my point was the specific message of the ads during the last Supreme Court race compared to this one. The message from Gableman and WMC was coordinated and consistent: Louis Butler was a former public defender and his performance in that role got him deemed "Loophole Louie" and "soft on crime." This time around, the conservative candidate is the one who has that public defender background and now, somehow, that's all right. I can assure you you won't see Shirley Abrahamson impugning that aspect of Koshnick's background. WMC is staying out of it... they prefer Koshnick, but their support is tepid and behind the scenes. I suppose I shouldn't be astonished by the hypocrisy... BUT I AM!

You don't like the way the conservative candidate advertises, and feel that the current candidate is a hypocrite? I'm shocked - SHOCKED - to find that out.

Why do partisans feel the incessant need to try to pretend that their dislike of the opposing candidate and his/her campaign isn't partisan? That somehow it's only the other side that runs dirty campaigns and runs in a hypocritical manner?

I've spent a while trying to understand whether you guys really do honestly believe the stuff you say, or if you honestly believe that it's easier to convince others if you pretend to be shocked by what you perceive. I generally lean towards the latter, because I find it impossible for someone to truly come to conclusion in every single election that the Democrat is the more virtuous candidate, and not think that maybe they're seeing the world through blue-tinged glasses.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Hey AV
Why do you bother typing such long commentaries? Do you think anybody here actually cares what you think about any of these topics?

Hey Stu, why do you feel the need to constantly troll on every thread where I post to tell everybody that you don't approve of my posting style? Do you honestly think that people enjoy your presence here, or that they care one iota about what you have to say?

Here's a clue - we don't. If you disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would even notice.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:Hey Stu, why do you feel the need to constantly troll on every thread where I post to tell everybody that you don't approve of my posting style? Do you honestly think that people enjoy your presence here, or that they care one iota about what you have to say?

Here's a clue - we don't. If you disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would even notice.

I enjoy Stu's posts. I'd notice.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Hey this issue isn't rocket science. It is really quite clear. I agree with David Blaska who said that it is a legitimate campaign issue when a judicial candidate has served as a criminal defense attorney for horrible criminals like rapists, cop killers and domestic terrorists. I happen to agree with David Blaska on this important but simple issue. I am not surprised that Shirely Abrahamson is not using this issue because her record is so outstanding that she does not need this issue to kick Koschnick's ass in this election.

Nancy Mistele if you read these forums, with all due respect, I urge you to denounce Koschnick!

WMC where is your denunciation of this judicial candidate who is on the side of criminals!

David Blaska where is your denunciation.

We are waiting...
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:If you disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would even notice.

Not true. If Stu were to suddenly cease to be, Brenda Konkel would have to spend quite a bit of time rearranging her blog criticism priorities. :)
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Stu Levitan is the type of man my 94 year old mother, Pearl Lemberg, would call a MENSCH. I should be half the man that Stu is.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Jesus. The context: Supreme Court race. The issue: hypocritical campaign messages. I put it to you: look at Ziegler/Clifford, Gableman/Butler, Koshnick/Abrahamson. I see hypocrisy in the challenger's messages to voters when you compare the current race to the last. If there have been hypocritical messages on the part of the so-called "liberal" candidates between any of these three races, call it out! I'll acknowledge it, I swear. But I don't think you'll be able to, and it won't just be because you obviously weren't paying attention. We know who the conservatives are in these races; we know who the liberals are. The question is: Is it hypocritical for the last conservative candidate to decry the liberal's defense attorney experience and now the next conservative candidate has that same experience but that's suddenly OK with conservatives and WMC alike? The answer, of course, is yes. I keep expecting more out of these Supreme Court races, but I guess that's just me.
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby AlternativeVoice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Woofer wrote:Jesus. The context: Supreme Court race. The issue: hypocritical campaign messages. I put it to you: look at Ziegler/Clifford, Gableman/Butler, Koshnick/Abrahamson. I see hypocrisy in the challenger's messages to voters when you compare the current race to the last. If there have been hypocritical messages on the part of the so-called "liberal" candidates between any of these three races, call it out! I'll acknowledge it, I swear. But I don't think you'll be able to, and it won't just be because you obviously weren't paying attention. We know who the conservatives are in these races; we know who the liberals are. The question is: Is it hypocritical for the last conservative candidate to decry the liberal's defense attorney experience and now the next conservative candidate has that same experience but that's suddenly OK with conservatives and WMC alike? The answer, of course, is yes. I keep expecting more out of these Supreme Court races, but I guess that's just me.

Once again, I am not trying to defend Gableman. Both Gableman and Butler ran dirty campaigns. Gableman's negative attack ads were all about this "loophole louie" thing. Whether you accept the message or not doesn't matter - they weren't attacking his being a defense attorney, but supposedly for being a weak judge. They're saying that Gableman would be tougher on criminals. But of course, that's what all judges say in every election.

You want hypocrisy? How about the same people who thought 72 year old John McCain was going to die one week into office not even spending a second wondering how Shirley Abrahamson will be able to run the Wisconsin Supreme Court at age 85? And I don't even want to hear your rationalization about why that isn't hypocrisy, because nobody wants to hear your rationalization. I'm sure there isn't a single leftist hypocrisy in the history of this country that you don't have a rationalization for. So spare us.

Being a defense attorney is an important job. All defendants have a right to strong defense counsel. And watching the left wing actually attacking Koschnick for being a defense attorney after so many years of crying foul when conservatives claimed that being a prosecutor was more noble than being a defense attorney is hilarious to me. If you partisan hacks can't see the hypocrisy in your entire line of attack, then there's nothing I can do to open your eyes. This is as blatant as it gets.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:03 am

AlternativeVoice wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Hey AV

Hey Stu, why do you feel the need to constantly troll on every thread where I post to tell everybody that you don't approve of my posting style? Do you honestly think that people enjoy your presence here, or that they care one iota about what you have to say?

I also enjoy Stu's comments.

But you AV, are not only incapable of providing any facts or evidence to back up your opinions, you also cannot come up with anything original to say when trying to slam someone. For god's sake, do you rely on a computer generated response that changes a few words around to rebut someone's charges against you?

Try this next time, it will save you a lot of typing:
"I know you are but what am I."
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 am

AlternativeVoice wrote:You want hypocrisy? How about the same people who thought 72 year old John McCain was going to die one week into office not even spending a second wondering how Shirley Abrahamson will be able to run the Wisconsin Supreme Court at age 85?

As long as you are OK with the premise that the job of President of the United States of America is pretty much the same as the job of Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice, sure that's hypocrisy.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:46 am

More hypocricy out of the far left... I don't even want to quote those last two posts, because it might give them credence.

Let me explain this to you again:

You believe that Gableman attacked Butler for being a defense attorney last year. Whether this is true or not is not relevant to this debate, and I don't care either way. The point is that you guys believe it, and you find it bad. Fine. Now we have another conservative running who happened to be a defense attorney at one point, and you find it hypocritical that anybody would support both Gableman and Koschnick. Fine. Whatever.

BUT

You guys felt it to be horrible when Gableman attacked Butler for being a defense attorney. You felt it was a dirty attack. And yet now you attack Koschnick for being a defense attorney? Huh? Where are the protests at harrissimo's idiotic rants?

Question: If a Republican was head of the state supreme court and was 75 and running for re-election, would he/she be criticized by you guys for being too old?

Answer: Of course.

Question: If a Democrat was running for President who was 72, would you be offended by attacks on his age, screaming age-ism to anybody who would listen/

Answer: Of course.

One thing I am trying to drive into all of your heads if that you've got to grow up and stop seeing everything in shades of blue and red. Before taking a stand on ANY campaign issue, you must switch the parties around. Pretend that the Republican is actually the Democrat and vice versa. Now re-read the issues and see if you're still upset.

Otherwise nothing will ever get achieved, because if you are always going to view all Republicans as hypocritical racist idiots, and all Democrats as wonderful perfect human beings, then you degrade your government. The Democratic Party can put up horrible candidates and you'll still vote for them. By actually grading these candidates, and occasionally voting across party lines, you at least force the Democratic Party to actually look for electable candidates. It will improve the quality of Democrats that you have on the ballot at the very least.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:46 pm

It is very sad to see the extreme right wing express their support for cop killers and domestic terrorists on these forums.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm

"You guys felt it to be horrible when Gableman attacked Butler for being a defense attorney. You felt it was a dirty attack. And yet now you attack Koschnick for being a defense attorney?"

What?! I would never attack a Supreme Court candidate for having served as a SPD. But who cares what I do or say, or what others on this forum do or say? The issue is what the candidates themselves do and say, and what the monied special interests do and say. I don't believe Shirley Abrahamson is going to attack Koshnick on this issue. If she did, I would be very disappointed and I would indeed decry that tactic. If some special interest group took that tack, I'd expect Abrahamson to publicly repudiate it. Still, you keep missing the point, making apples to oranges comparisons to other races for other offices, particularly partisan offices. Fortunately, I think everyone else gets the point, so I won't belabor it further...
Woofer
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government