MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Who's Running for Mayor?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who's Running for Mayor?

Postby Dulouz » Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 pm

some talk on this board has suggested that the Mayor could be vulnerable do to his alienation of the left and right. Can he hold the middle?

It is still a couple years away, but what are the thoughts?

for me, I think that a Hendrick challenge from the left and a Blaska challenge from the right could set up a situation in which a moderate like Schumacher or Johnny Winston might be able to smell enough blood in the water to make a stand.

All four could make it through the primary. The difference might be the candidates' vision of Madison and how many people sit out the election if their guy doesn't get through the primary.

does the Mayor even want to run? He doesn't really seem to enjoy it or have any great vision any more. What would an open primary look like? I assume Schumacher (I mean the dude's on 12 committees, he has to be gunning for Mayor) and Winston would jump in. Who else?
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who's Running for Mayor?

Postby white_rabbit » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Dulouz wrote:
for me, I think that a Hendrick challenge from the left and a Blaska challenge from the right could set up a situation in which a moderate like Schumacher or Johnny Winston might be able to smell enough blood in the water to make a stand.

Blaska is a clown just like Mistele but with more makeup.

My dream primary is Mayor Dave and Zack Brandon dividing the left/center/Dem voting block, Ben Manski peeling off the hard lefties/Greens and John Sharpless solidifying the center/right vote. If we had that primary I'm betting it would be Brandon vs Sharpless in the general, or outside chance of Sharpless vs Manski in the general if Brandon and Cheesewhiz split enough votes.

Of all the local politicos I think the only one that could give a serious challenge and who would be interested in giving a challenge is Brandon. Realistically, I think Sharpless has given up on running for elective office but could give Mayor McCheese a good run, Manski would maybe run if he had enough people stroke his ego but he wouldn't get any more votes than Bert Zipperer.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 am

white_rabbit wrote:Of all the local politicos I think the only one that could give a serious challenge and who would be interested in giving a challenge is Brandon.

Why would Brandon challenge a Mayor who's spent the last 6 years edging toward his own positions, when he has a nice new job at the Department of Commerce, and they're both tight with Doyle & Co.?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

Expect Mike Verveer to run. If he and Brandon or Thuy or Shumaker runs the Mayor may not make it through the primary.

Verveer would take the downtown and the Mayor doesn't have that big of support in the outskirts.

What about Stu Levitan? Scott McDonald? Gary Poulson? Joe Parisi? Brian Benford? Greg Markle? Mark Bugher? Leslie Howard? Larry Palm? Kathleen Falk (Maybe she could win this one)? Brett Hulsey? Barry Alverez?

Who else?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 am

Dude, wake up, THEN post on TDPF.

Thuy? And you're expecting Verveer to run?

Where do you live, Sun Prairie?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed May 06, 2009 11:39 am

Someone has to try to add some juice to this forum. I was just trying to help you out Joyce.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 am

Jattpw wrote:Brian Benford?

Benford might not be so interested after losing last night's student council election on campus.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 pm

I keep trying to get Colleen Hayes to run, but she likes Dave too much to run against him.

It's too bad - Colleen would kick his ass.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Oh, c'mon. The Mayor is still pretty popular and he's not even really running yet. If he wants to run for another term he'll be hard to beat.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Marvell wrote:I keep trying to get Colleen Hayes to run, but she likes Dave too much to run against him.

Best idea ever.

She does have the experience of dealing with a bunch of whiny brats.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed May 06, 2009 3:46 pm

juanton wrote:
Marvell wrote:I keep trying to get Colleen Hayes to run, but she likes Dave too much to run against him.

Best idea ever.

She does have the experience of dealing with a bunch of whiny brats.

Thirded.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marco Polo » Wed May 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Jattpw wrote:Expect Mike Verveer to run. If he and Brandon or Thuy or Shumaker runs the Mayor may not make it through the primary.

Verveer would take the downtown and the Mayor doesn't have that big of support in the outskirts.

What about Stu Levitan? Scott McDonald? Gary Poulson? Joe Parisi? Brian Benford? Greg Markle? Mark Bugher? Leslie Howard? Larry Palm? Kathleen Falk (Maybe she could win this one)? Brett Hulsey? Barry Alverez?

Who else?

Stu would be cool, but he won't.

Scott is taking Falk's seat in 2013, he probably figures he has waited long enough.

Hendrick is likely to be the next County Chair, and may be a long shot for Exec, if Scott bows out for some reason. I doubt he would, he has a good thing going.

Poulson may be getting the inch(and support) yo go up against Thuy again.

Benford has a family and is in college, plus he was just elected to serve on UW student council, but sadly lost an election for chair to reactionary forces(a favorite of Bad Grad I imagine considering some of his posts around here).

Larry Palm, not the brightest bulb in basement I'm afraid. Good guy.

Kathleen probably would not take a "lower" prestige position. I believe the city budget is smaller than the county's, plus being Exec gives her wider coverage for any more races for higher office, and she probably knows Scott is coming.

Brett has pissed off a lot of green types, and if mobilized would block him at the gate.

Barry had a awful coach replace him, and a lot of questions are being raised about the Athletic dept and how they treat certain members of their board.

Mike could, but he probably won't. WSJ would probably burn his house down, and accuse him of doing it for the insurance money.

Dems and PD would probably team up to stop Thuy if necessary. Double that effort if it is Blaska.

Ben Manski told me last week that he likely will never return to that type of political work, ie running for office. Should be in office anyway, but we know how that went.

I agree Brandon would probably just stay at his current job, and could be a future Chief of staff for someone in Washington, or a Congressman himself.
Marco Polo

Postby Dulouz » Wed May 06, 2009 7:51 pm

I don't see PD teaming up with Dems if the incumbent is the Dem--the bridge is burned, the foundation dug up, and the river widened.

It will be interesting to see how and if PD re-invents itself in the next two years. This election might end up being a blessing in disguise. Brenda is blogging more than ever and has the time to really analyze what the council is doing rather than simply reporting (again, the Isthmus should pay her for this coverage--seriously). If they can actually get back to issue advocacy and create a coherent economic plan for the City, they could provide a major threat in 2011 and make the Mayoral race a lot like 2003. Big ifs, though.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Benford has a family and is in college, plus he was just elected to serve on UW student council, but sadly lost an election for chair to reactionary forces(a favorite of Bad Grad I imagine considering some of his posts around here).

I must be doing something right, if neither the lefties nor the righties like me. :)

Benford lost partly because the campus left is disintegrating into petty bullshit drama, and partly because he has no credibility on student issues. But he only just barely lost.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marco Polo » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:Benford has a family and is in college, plus he was just elected to serve on UW student council, but sadly lost an election for chair to reactionary forces(a favorite of Bad Grad I imagine considering some of his posts around here).

I must be doing something right, if neither the lefties nor the righties like me. :)

Benford lost partly because the campus left is disintegrating into petty bullshit drama, and partly because he has no credibility on student issues. But he only just barely lost.

But...he got elected? I see...
Marco Polo

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government