MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 8.0° F  Light Snow Blowing Snow and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

no more high speed rail?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: no more high speed rail?

Postby barney » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Another point to consider is that in this region, Spain laid high-speed track basically over the top of older track, curves and all. Instead of modifying the layout for the high speed tracks, they just added signs saying, slow down for curves.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am

HawkHead wrote:Trains don't kill people. People kill people!

Man, I was sure this was going to get me in the Best of TDPF thread.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:50 am

How about: Think of all the jobs that train crash created!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 pm

everybody's bailing on high speed rail?
last i heard the nccl-dwcmp has renewed its call for a high-speed rail system linking chicago, mineapolis, milwaukee and other cities in the region centred on a straight shot that goes from madison to eau claire in less than 45 minutes each year since 1998. i think that would have to be powered with nitroglycerine dissolved in ky jelly, just like that 550 km/h speedboat in a streetcar named desire, but that's the platform . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Walker's decision to cancel contracts, and refuse hundreds of millions in federal dollars for high speed rail, will likely cost taxpayers even more money.

Talgo seeks nearly $66 million from state for canceled high-speed rail deal

Since Wisconsin's attorney general would have to defend any lawsuit, the race for that office might be the deciding factor.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Maybe that's why Van Hollen bailed. High profile, costly case that to my untrained eye looks difficult to defend.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Oh don't worry. The courts will see that the state is fucking BROKE BROKE BROKE and have pity on us.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 pm

That's a thought. We could do a Detroit and tell Talgo to get lost.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 am

"Yet five years later not a single piece of track has been laid in what has become a controversial project—one that a majority of Californians now oppose and others believe is already dead.

Fifty-two percent say they oppose the bullet train and consider it a waste of money, while just 43 percent support it, according to a recent USC Dornsife/L.A. Times poll. Back in November 2008, however, a majority of voters supported Prop 1A. "

""L.A. and San Francisco are economically connected, and they have that sweet spot for distance—too long to drive, too short to fly," Puentes said. "This has all those right ingredients. So if they can't get it done in California, it's going be very difficult to do in places like the Northeast, Chicago or places where you're going through multiple jurisdictions, multiple states and trying to prove a concept, as opposed to building on success in California.""
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101175149
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 am

i'm not sure if the calculation of which distances are too far to drive would be impacted by removing the speed limits on interstate and technically similar motorways, but it is worth a try.

the article also reminds me of the times some years ago when i flew from the town of albion to rome and back -- the downside was layovers up the arse, figuratively speaking. i think they use the term layover because it increases one's desire to join the mile high club, though since it is often done at cruising altitude is more like the 10 km high club. which i did early and often. though now after the shoe bomber, it is easier to get 8 miles high on dilaudid instead. that's my recipe for preventing and treating jet lag -- a hard narcotic and a short-intermediate-acting benzodiazepine like mogodon or xanax plus hydroxyzine. it does wonders for fear of flying too, i have observed.

remember those guys who were busted on that new york-london flight a few years back for hogging the w c and disabling the smoke detector because they were in there smoking crack and having sex? it would be nice to do a three way under a blanket on a packed aeroplane but i think we'd all be down at camp x-ray watching spongejohn squareashcroft on a televison bolted to the wall behind a metal grille until the cows come home for doing something that subversive . . .

"would u like some of our t w a coffee, sir?"
-- no thank u, but i would like yer t w a tea . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"Yet five years later not a single piece of track has been laid in what has become a controversial project—one that a majority of Californians now oppose and others believe is already dead.

Fifty-two percent say they oppose the bullet train and consider it a waste of money, while just 43 percent support it, according to a recent USC Dornsife/L.A. Times poll. Back in November 2008, however, a majority of voters supported Prop 1A. "

""L.A. and San Francisco are economically connected, and they have that sweet spot for distance—too long to drive, too short to fly," Puentes said. "This has all those right ingredients. So if they can't get it done in California, it's going be very difficult to do in places like the Northeast, Chicago or places where you're going through multiple jurisdictions, multiple states and trying to prove a concept, as opposed to building on success in California.""

Looks like Walker dodged a bullet (train).
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Rich Schultz wrote:"Yet five years later not a single piece of track has been laid in what has become a controversial project—one that a majority of Californians now oppose and others believe is already dead.

Looks like Walker dodged a bullet (train).

Walker "dodged the bullet," by sending back $800+ million already allocated back to Washington, so other states could benefit from Wisco's loss. He eliminated many well-paying jobs, and convinced Spanish train maker Talgo to close its plant in job-starved inner-city Milwaukee. Waker succeeded in keeping us Badgers decades behind France, Spain, Japan, and now China, too. But that's standard extreme Republican operating procedure - to keep America 's transportation infrastructure about where it was in 1970. Compare Amtrak and it's antiquated locomotives:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CDMQ9QEwAw
With modern passenger rail elsewhere:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CDwQ9QEwAQ
Also:
http://www.beyond.fr/map/raileuropemap.html
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Driving on roads are so much better...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHNA185LnC4
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 pm

uwstudent wrote:Driving on roads are so much better...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHNA185LnC4

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:54 am

uwstudent
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government