MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brown Bag Dinner: You are cordially invited

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Brown Bag Dinner: You are cordially invited

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 am

6PM, on the State Street steps of the Capitol. Tonight. Bring your dinner in a brown paper bag--just like our Gov alleges he does with his lunch every day. Pull up a seat and enjoy the company. Optional: write a message for Scott Walker on the bag (keeping both the message and the bag clean), and we'll see if we can get the empties delivered to his office.

Just a small gesture of our resolve to stay with this movement, and expand it. Three weeks of protest is only the beginning.

We are Wisconsin.

http://www.facebook.com/wearewisc
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170048669713724
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brown Bag Dinner: You are cordially invited

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

i love this idea! will try to make it. also, kyle, have you checked out ichiban on park street yet? serious szechuan. be good for fringe foods and/or a full restaurant review.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm

depinmad wrote:also, kyle, have you checked out ichiban on park street yet? serious szechuan. be good for fringe foods and/or a full restaurant review.

What's up with the two most recent Sichuan restaurants in Madison--Fugu and now Ichiban--taking Japanese names?

Regardless, no. Not yet. But my eye's always on the Park corridor these days.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Looking at the face book page, the majority can't be there.
(I can't either. I have a Parks Commish mtg. to go to where I can speak directly to the Parks Dept. which is taking more of a part in democracy than just sitting there eating out of a brown bag. Sorry, but this "protest" just seems ridiculous. Especially since you want to censor what people write on their bags? :roll:)
They should have scheduled a bag lunch for Sat. instead where the turnout will be greater.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 pm

KidCapitol wrote:Looking at the face book page, the majority can't be there.

82 confirmed, 61 maybe, 121 declined, 550 unanswered, as of the last time I checked. Considering we launched this on...hm...yesterday, I'm okay with the turnout. And bear in mind, that's just Facebook. Twitter's a whole 'nother deal. @wearewisc is approaching 400 followers, and it was launched maybe hours before the Brown Bag Dinner event was announced.

KidCapitol wrote:(I can't either. I have a Parks Commish mtg. to go to where I can speak directly to the Parks Dept. which is taking more of a part in democracy than just sitting there eating out of a brown bag.

That's the idea, Kid! My democracy's longer than yours. Great idea; keep it up. PS: I've personally sent 7 emails to elected officials about the broader issue of budget and budget "repair." The only response has come from my state rep, who is a Dem. Clearly, as Isthmus' suit against the Governor has shown, direct contact with the people foisting this legislation upon us is really, really productive.

KidCapitol wrote:Sorry, but this "protest" just seems ridiculous. Especially since you want to censor what people write on their bags? :roll:)

Censor? Who said anything about censorship? If you're about economy of effort, answer me this. Will a big, fat-markered "FUCK YOU WALKERRR" get more traction inside the Capitol than something more well-formed and rational? (Realistically, neither will--but that's what nonviolent protest is all about: taking the high road.)

KidCapitol wrote:They should have scheduled a bag lunch for Sat. instead where the turnout will be greater.

There's going to be a huge turnout on Saturday anyway. The point of this event is to create a visible, cohesive presence on the other days of the week between Sunday and Saturday. This isn't just a weekend protest; it's an every goddamn day of the year movement.

Sorry you won't be there, but something tells me you'd be a bummer to hang out with anyway.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government