MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Privatization

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Privatization

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 am

Curtis Ambulance (and I think a few other companies like it) provides non-emergency transport for people who need special care when being moved. It's an essential service when you've got a patient who cannot sit up or walk, so they need to be transported lying flat and moved on a gurney. Examples include transporting people from a nursing home or assisted living to a clinic and back, or moving someone to be cared for in their home after being hospitalized.

The ambulance staff includes trained EMT's or nurses to monitor the patient during transport, watch IV's, use specialized transfer techniques, and do whatever else is needed to keep them stable. Trips in the ambulance are usually covered by Medicare or another insurance.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

snoqueen wrote:non-emergency transport

Interesting. Any idea why their vehicles are decked out like regular emergency ambulances? Is it an inferiority complex, like JBM Patrol's oh-god-I-want-to-be-a-real-cop-so-bad-I-can-taste-it squad cars?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:39 pm

If the person being transported goes into crisis they can "run hot" (use flashing lights and have other vehicles move out of the way) and get the person to emergency. After all they are staffed by trained personnel and can actually render aid, as opposed to handicap vans which move healthy handicapped people.

A few times when my mother was still alive and in assisted living they came to transport other residents of her facility. They seemed very professional, came in with a proper gurney, knew how to safely move people with different needs, and I never heard anyone complain about their services. I wouldn't have characterized them as wanna-be EMT's at all -- they filled a gap between private transport, cabs, or the handicap bus and full-on call-911 emergency rescue.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:55 pm

...according to accounts representative Kurt Schneider, "four or five" of his dispatchers could not take regular calls because they were trying to iron out problems with Logisticare customers.
During normal hours, Badger has one person taking calls, and one more actually dispatching the fares to the cabs. During rush hours (7am to 9am and 2pm to 4pm) there are 2 people taking calls, and 2 people dispatching on 2 channels: one for the west side, and another for the East side. So if they had all 4 people on the phone, plus a 5th, it shuts down the whole system since there's no one to dispatch to the cabs or even take new, valid calls. Everything is "click, click, click" at Badger.

Yes, the old system was a hassle for the drivers, but it did work, and it was 1/3rd of the day shifts fares. So instead of having a system that worked, Badger will have to lay off drivers.

Since Badger's rates are considerably cheaper than Union Cab or Madison Taxi, it's likely they're getting a share of their fares. Thus making Union and Madison Taxi more desperate so they don't mind taking on logisticare.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Logisticare is out

Schwartz said the state provided limited data in its request for bids and actual usage and costs are higher than what the company anticipated.

DHS Secretary Dennis Smith released a statement acknowledging LogistiCare didn't have enough information to submit a reasonable cost estimate. He said the agency plans to prepare a new bid request with better data.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government