MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Privatization

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Privatization

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:40 pm

What does this Atlanta company do that we weren't doing right here previously? It's a glorified dispatch service. Every cab company has dispatch. If we truly needed a consolidated dispatch I am sure they could have gotten together and come up with one, one that performed a lot better than Logisticare because the present companies already know the territory and the job.

We can assume campaign contributions have something to do with the answer to that question.

If Logisticare WAS truly trying to provide a competitive-level, high-quality service, they should have sat down with the cab company here and talked. The cab company should have had a person to call, no-waiting, for problem solving for at least the first six weeks. Rollout will always be tricky but Logisticare apparently never even gave them a contact number let alone did an on-the-ground survey of their new territory. They should really have had management right here in Madison, and provided the management with some functional backup for when things went bad.

For $1.4 million I'd do it myself. Evidently CEO Herman Schwartz (thanks for the link) was too busy polishing his yacht.

Allocating payment dollars to the patients is a poor solution because it does not allow for economies of scale and coordination, such as ride sharing, and quality oversight. If you've got two miserable companies like Logisticare competing for the transit customers' dollars, quality will not be a lot better than with one miserable company. What is needed is pretty much what we had: local companies providing a much needed, economically non-viable service subsidized by We the People, who humbly realize we too might someday be stuck needing a ride to kidney dialysis and want to help other people in that fix.

Hopefully with some more thoughtfully managed paperwork.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm chopping with reckless abandon:
snoqueen wrote:For $1.4 million I'd do it myself...

...economically non-viable service subsidized by We the People, who humbly realize we too might someday be stuck needing a ride to kidney dialysis and want to help other people in that fix.

I'll assume the Dialysis Center already has your number on file?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:I'm chopping with reckless abandon:
snoqueen wrote:For $1.4 million I'd do it myself...

...economically non-viable service subsidized by We the People, who humbly realize we too might someday be stuck needing a ride to kidney dialysis and want to help other people in that fix.

I'll assume the Dialysis Center already has your number on file?

I'm bettin' you'll be first in line and the first to whine if you need a medical ride.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Arturo those jobs already existed in the public sector so it was at best a wash. Now we have an out of state company making tons of cash doing a shitty job. THIS is what their company does for a loving. Why the fuck do they need to work out the kinks.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm bettin' you'll be first in line and the first to whine if you need a medical ride.

Um, OK?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Arturo those jobs already existed in the public sector so it was at best a wash. Now we have an out of state company making tons of cash doing a shitty job. THIS is what their company does for a loving. Why the fuck do they need to work out the kinks.

I would prefer if all the public call-center jobs were eliminated and replaced by a single computer to do the dispatching. Of course, that isn't possible (yet). I wouldn't be surprised if Logisticare handles more calls with fewer people, once the system is smoothed out. This would mean a net loss of jobs, but a net win for our society (same services + less labor = win).

As I mentioned with Henry before, we should reserve judgment about Logisticare until some time has passed. The article describes only the first day of operation. After months or a year, we should evaluate an average rate of ride fuck-ups for Logisticare, and compare it to the number of fuck-ups that happened under the previous system. We can include some consideration of the reduced cost of Logisticare in our comparison, but it may not be necessary - it's entirely possible that Logisticare will be both cheaper and more efficient in the long run.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
And what's up with Badger quitting after ONE DAY? I could understand not taking more calls/rides until the system could be stabilized, but abandoning the contract after one day seems a little shortsighted. I wouldn't be surprised if Badger starts taking Logisticare calls again in coming weeks. On the other hand, Badger and Schneider get their mug in the paper taking a reactionary anti-Walker stance, so maybe it will pay off in increased publicity. (I doubt it.)

The other cab companies seem willing to work through the system's early flaws. Maybe this will pay off for them too.
Badger Cab has a really intense system. For anyone unfamiliar with Badger, it's "shared ride." You might get 4 different fares at the same time, with each having a different pick-up address, but in the same general vicinity, with 4 different drop locations somewhat near each other as well, and get package deliveries along the way with 4 riders on board already. They still use 2-way radios, no computer or GPS like Union has. Generally it's one dispatcher for 25 cars, and 2 during rush hours. It's a non-stop, caffeine-wired race all day long to get rides. And because you're a sub-contractor, and pay a lease fee for your shift, you can lose money if you don't hustle. You should try it. There isn't room for any kind of crap. I sincerely doubt they did it as an "Anti-Walker" stance, they couldn't afford to do that. Badger makes it's money from the lease fees, so the more business they have, the more drivers on the road, the more they make. It's more likely such a mess that focusing on other areas is more profitable.

The Metro Plus system Walker eliminated was a pain in the ass, but it worked, and it was 1/3rd of Badger's daytime business. Streamlining Metro Plus by eliminating wasteful rides would've been a better idea than screwing the whole thing up.

I just finished chatting with a Union Cab driver who said logisticare is a mess. I never had to deal with it when I drove.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Good lord. We have really fallen far as a society. But the good news is, we can fall farther yet!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:31 am

ArturoBandini wrote:The article describes only the first day of operation. After months or a year, we should evaluate an average rate of ride fuck-ups for Logisticar

From their website:

Each year we coordinate more than 25 million trips for more than 8 million covered members by developing and overseeing a network of more than 1,500 local commercial, public and non-profit transportation providers. Our scale and experience are the hallmarks of the LogistiCare brand.

Yea, I guess we give them some time to work the kinks out. :roll:

Oh, then there is this:

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) - Serious transportation problems continue for patients who need dialysis and other medical care. We first told you about this last week, and it may be time for the state's new governor to respond.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/lo ... 10111-wpms

Huh?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am

ArturoBandini wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Cheaper is always better for the same level of service.

Fine and dandy. But it is not "the same level of service."

I was only making a general observation.

Why are you making a general observation regarding a specific situation to which your general observation does not apply?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 am

wack wack wrote:Why are you making a general observation regarding a specific situation to which your general observation does not apply?

Kinda what I was thinking when he responded to my post. I thought one could infer from what I wrote that I was discussing a service discrepancy.

Or, perhaps, the level of service being provided by Logisticare would meet Arturo's minimum standard. I'd set the bar a little higher.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

Stebben84 wrote:Oh, then there is this:

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) - Serious transportation problems continue for patients who need dialysis and other medical care. We first told you about this last week, and it may be time for the state's new governor to respond.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/lo ... 10111-wpms

This was back in January, and in your own quoted text it says that the problem had only been known about for a week (MI's service started Jan. 1). What has happened since then?

I'd like to see that performance review that Gov. Snyder promised in the article (if it exists). This would be an excellent bit of information for those interested in whether Logisticare will continue to suck, or whether they can iron out the problems of moving into a new metropolitan market overnight.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 am

ArturoBandini wrote:This would be an excellent bit of information for those interested in whether Logisticare will continue to suck, or whether they can iron out the problems of moving into a new metropolitan market overnight.

So I assume you have no issue that it was a no bid contract and they have no competition. What incentive do they have to provide quality service. Sure, they can do it on the cheap with marginal quality cause that's the free market American way.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

ArturoBandini wrote:This would be an excellent bit of information for those interested in whether Logisticare will continue to suck, or whether they can iron out the problems of moving into a new metropolitan market overnight.

The only thing that's guaranteed with privatization is this: it's not a matter of if, but when private industry will fail to such a degree that the government feels a need to recover and resume services.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 am

A related question regarding privatization of essential services: What's up with Curtis Ambulance? Does anyone have information on how/why they're set up where there already are city-run ambulance services? Are they cost-effective and/or reliable?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government