MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Huckleby » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAOEDRZaus

Rachel Maddow did a good job of laying just how effective gerrymandering has been for the G.O.P. (you can skip the first 4 minutes.) If applied to the selection of the electoral college, forget democracy.

We have a very unusual situation. The Republicans solidly control governorships and state legislators in a number of states that vote blue nationally. Dems can exert no balancing power in red states. If the Republicans change the rules for selecting electors in blue states only, they can make pretty much lock-in the presidency in 2016.

Electoral college shinanigans may be the coming Big Kahuna of voter suppression.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

Gosh, its been months since we talked about voter suppression. The WSJ informs us that we can actually vote on how much we want our voting suppressed!
Leaders of two of Wisconsin’s biggest population centers are asking voters Tuesday to tell state lawmakers to preserve Election Day voter registration, while officials in the town of Blue Mounds want to get residents on record favoring tighter restrictions on those who sign up to vote at the last minute.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2OqWE2SgF

Actually I was tempted to post this in the "stupid headlines" thread. Because the article frames this as if these were two equally thoughtful perspectives on voting. On the one hand, Madison wants to avoid restrictions on same-day registration. And on the other hand, this guy is an idiot:
Town officials want to make a statement about voter fraud, said town chairman Dennis Jelle.

“In the big cities there’s voter fraud that’s running rampant,” said Jelle, who said believes there is a problem because he heard about it on talk radio shows and from acquaintances who live in southeast Wisconsin. “People have talked about it, so I assume it happened.”
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 pm

The GOP is proposing a whole bunch of restrictions on voting, including a reintroduction of Voter ID.

A Republican lawmaker is proposing numerous changes to the state's voting, election and campaign finance laws, including reinstating the requirement that voters show a photo ID to cast a ballot and allowing corporate contributions to independent political groups.
Other elements in the bill, which has not yet been introduced, include:

• Allowing corporate donations to independent political groups, which Stone said follows the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Citizens' United case.

• Shortening the time allowed for in-person absentee voting.

• Giving Gov. Scott Walker more choice in appointing members of the Government Accountability Board.

• Allowing more time for lobbyists to make campaign contributions.

• Requiring that special elections to fill open seats and referendums be held on regular election days.

• Prohibiting school districts from spending property tax revenue or state aid to disseminate information about any referendum.

• Limiting local officials subject to recall to those who have been charged with a criminal or ethics code violation.

Everything but the kitchen sink.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

So less time to vote, more time to buy a candidate?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

So less time to vote, more time to buy a candidate?

Yes. Blatantly, out in the open, lookin us right in the eye while they do it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 pm

So brazen a beast this party is....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 am

Appeals court finds constitutional the suppression of voter fraud
http://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/Disp ... eqNo=97504

Show me what democracy looks like.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 am

Can't run on his record, can't run on his ideas. Walker has to stack the deck.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am

Meade wrote:Show me what democracy looks like.

Someone will have to show ya, 'cause if this poll tax is actually enacted then democracy is dead in Wisconsin.

(Just to clear it up Meade: Sometimes you seem to support issues just to drive profit on your blog but in this situation you really-truly strongly support these kind of rules&regulations at the polling booth, no?)
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am

Meade wrote:Appeals court finds constitutional the suppression of voter fraud

Looks like corruption to me. Clearly bought and paid for. The question is, which of these judges is going to jail?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 am

I was listening to WPR this morning and they were talking about voter ID and the GAB changes. They had a R represtative talking and it was fun to listen to him.

First he said we have had convictions for voter fraud but the cases are still pending. (If there are convictions they aren't still pending)

Second, he talked about the person who voted in two different states and was registered in both as a reason for voter ID. Are IDs going to cross check will other states to make sure this doesn't hapeen again (no).

Lastly, he said the GABs ruling that showing a utility bill on your smart phone was ridiculous. If I truly wanted to commit voter fraud, I could look in someones mail box and just grab their utility bill. Then I would have a hard copy and doesn't change anything from showing it on my phone. (Because of this ruling he thought the Governor should have more control of the GAB).

A caller called during the show and basically said that if the legislature passes a law that keeps legitimate voters from voting the legislators voting for said law should be thrown in jail. The host dismissed the caller.

It sure was an entertaining ride to work this morning.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 pm

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:Appeals court finds constitutional the suppression of voter fraud

Looks like corruption to me. Clearly bought and paid for. The question is, which of these judges is going to jail?

Yeah, Higginbotham and Blanchard look especially sketchy.

Read the ruling, their biggest issue seems to be that the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin didn't actually put forth any facts to support the claim that the voter Id restriction that is, on its face, so burdensome that it effectively denies potential voters their right to vote, and is therefore constitutionally “unreasonable.

The rest of the League's arguments had to do with the legal rights of the legislator to pass laws regarding voting requirments, and if the law was a requirment or an additional qualification, which the League appears to have conceded in their own arguments.

Of course it's important to point out that a second dane county judge has also ruled the Voter ID act unconstitutional (hopfully the plantifs and judge did a better job on this case), and there are 2 more federal cases pending as well, so Voter ID is not alive and well.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 am

Repubs and Dems are drafting a bill that would double the limit for political donations while allowing online voter registration (as long as one has a drivers license). I guess all politicans want to get more donation dollars.

Who knows what the final bill will contain.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Repubs and Dems are drafting a bill that would double the limit for political donations while allowing online voter registration (as long as one has a drivers license).

I don't mind them doubling the donor levels. Rich folk have a right to grease the wheels, it's not like the limits are corporate-sized.

I'm confused about what they are doing with voter ID. An amendment was dropped that allowed poor people to get around it, basically by saying "please don't make me." Kinda funny. The Dems objected because they found it degrading!? Anyway, does that mean voter ID is now heading towards being in full effect?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:40 pm

The bipartisan compromise did remove the voter ID requirement, but that doesn't stop Robin Voss.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos vowed Wednesday that he will do everything possible to quickly reinstate the requirement that Wisconsin voters present a photo identification in time for the 2014 general election.

“It’s my intention to get that bill through the Legislature … and be signed by the governor sometime this fall,” said Vos, R-Rochester.

Vos made that promise just before the GOP-led Assembly approved a bipartisan elections-law bill that stripped a provision to resurrected voter ID.

That requirement has been suspended as four legal challenges make their way through the courts. After that and other controversial elements were taken out of Assembly Bill 225 in committee Monday, Democrats signed on, and the measure passed the full Assembly on a voice vote Wednesday with a smattering of “no” votes.

Anything to suppress the vote, as a large turnout scares the shit out of certain Republicans.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government