MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Alaska and Wisconsin recorded the next biggest declines.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2CogsM7j7
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Meade wrote:
Alaska and Wisconsin recorded the next biggest declines.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2CogsM7j7

Now isn't that a fascinating observation.

1) Alaska is very near Russia. No?
2) Russia really had and has some nasty players that went straight to pilfering the commons when things went down.
3) I do not think that model was overlooked by the practitioners of extreme greed on this side of the pond.
4) I think that our collective sense of self determination and fair play will prevail. But that is just what I think, and believe to be happening. We'll see how things play out.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. Tell me, tell me, tell me lies:

Gov. Scott Walker says Wisconsin has created almost 100,000 jobs since he took office...

That’s the number Walker cited Dec. 12, 2012 in response to questions at a workforce development event in Pewaukee, when he said he thought he still could reach 250,000.

"We're just under 100,000" jobs, he said. "It's going to be tough, no doubt about it."

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... ed-almost/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. Tell me, tell me, tell me lies:

Gov. Scott Walker says Wisconsin has created almost 100,000 jobs since he took office...

That’s the number Walker cited Dec. 12, 2012 in response to questions at a workforce development event in Pewaukee, when he said he thought he still could reach 250,000.

"We're just under 100,000" jobs, he said. "It's going to be tough, no doubt about it."

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... ed-almost/

Or, maybe it's 25,000. Only 90% to go!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. Tell me, tell me, tell me lies:

I find it comical that the source he used is the same source that he previously lambasted. Even if the source were correct, 86K is a far cry form 100K.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:48 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:I find it comical that the source he used is the same source that he previously lambasted. Even if the source were correct, 86K is a far cry form 100K.

Now, be fair: 86,000 is a lot closer to 100,000 than it is to 250,000. Of course, it's also closer to 100,000 than it is to 25,000, but he is an Eagle Scout and a minister's son, so I think we can cut him some slack and sum up like this:

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kittyweird » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Fred Phelps & Ted Bundy were also Eagle scouts.
Kittyweird
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm

A private equity firm bought Golden Gurnsey Dairy and suddenly shut it down, costing a hundred jobs.

State labor officials say they were not notified of the closure, which is required by law.

So what will the Walker administration do about that?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Walker likes to blame the national economy on Wisconsin's slow job growth, despite jobs being his number one priority, but... Wisconsin ranked 42 out of the 50 states in private-sector job creation, according to the latest available government jobs data that is deemed credible by economists.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 am

Might this be the reason for Walker not meeting his goal for job growth?

Across the country, the economy is slowly but steadily improving. More companies are hiring, consumers are spending again, the stock market is tickling record highs and many Americans say they are feeling more optimistic about the future.

But Wisconsin stands somewhat apart from this trend, consistently and stubbornly lagging in job creation and finding itself near the bottom of many measures of economic health.
Some economists point to Gov. Scott Walker and the Republican-controlled Legislature. They say the drastic spending cuts in the 2011-2013 state budget, just as the economy was beginning to recover from the recession, have actually made things worse.

“Wisconsin did absolutely the wrong thing at the wrong time,” says Kenneth Thomas, an economist at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and author of the popular Middle Class Economist blog. “You want to practice austerity when things are going well, not the other way around.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 am

On a related note, remember when Walker gave away about a billion dollars in special tax breaks to corporations, supposedly so they would come (or stay) in Wisconsin and add jobs to help our state economy? It didn't work.

But Wisconsin also lags in launching new businesses, with company formation here at 2.2 percent last year, second worst in the nation behind Iowa. The national average was 2.9 percent.

New company creation is vital because all data show the strong correlation with job growth.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Walker cut nearly a billion dollars in state aid for public education (k-12, the state tech school system and the UW system) at the very beginning of his term. He then gave about the same amount in corporate tax breaks, supposedly to keep or attract jobs to Wisconsin. That did not work. Now his latest brainstorm is to spend a hundred million on job training.

Let's see how that works out.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

It's the two you anniversary of Walker "dropping the bomb" and signing Act 10.

"Jokes about Walker turning Wisconsin into 'Wississippi' are not far off. Wisconsin's (jobs) ranking of 42 is behind Alabama (41), but still slightly ahead of Mississippi (48)."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Unemployment across the U.S. is at a four-year low. So how is Walker coming along with the quarter million new jobs he promised for Wisconsin?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Unemployment across the U.S. is at a four-year low. So how is Walker coming along with the quarter million new jobs he promised for Wisconsin?

It's not his fault.
Wino
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government