MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 am

The consultant for the company, which later received a $4 million forgivable loan from the state, went so far as to say protests at the State Capitol last year could be a strike against choosing Madison, according to emails obtained by the Wisconsin State Journal through an open records request.

Joseph cited concerns that “recent protests and ‘unrest’ ” could have “a detrimental impact” on choosing Madison “as its office consolidation location.” He said he also was looking at Des Moines, the Chicago suburbs and Milwaukee, and he asked if officials could “help incent my client to look past this apparent community discord.”

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/em ... a884b.html
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:10 am

Did Spectrum (the focus of the article you cited) leave Wisconsin?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 am

bdog wrote:You can forget about jobs coming to Wisconsin for a long long time. We've shown our ass to the world - why would a business want to come here (or expand) when they won't know what the rules are going to be in the future?

May as well go anywhere else you can get a stable playing field.

"Wisconsin - if you don't like the political leadership just wait 5 minutes"

It won't be that long; as soon as "our ass" is removed from the Governor's office things will get much better.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Did Spectrum (the focus of the article you cited) leave Wisconsin?

Kind of funny how Henry is always telling other people "Do your own damn homework" but doesn't even bother to click on a link and read the article for himself.

:roll:

Because of the concerns about the violence and disruptions in Madison, Walker had to offer a forgivable loan in order to keep this company in Wisconsin. While it will be worth it to have the jobs, it is a shame that the actions of the selfish protesters are once again costing the state money. First it was trashing the Capitol, then it was requiring massive police overtime (with the union cops refusing to actually do their job!) Now they want $20 million for a "do over" election, and who knows how many other companies were scared away from Wisconsin due to the thuggish behavior of the radical leftists. The list keeps growing.

Liberals sure love to spend other people's money.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Did Spectrum (the focus of the article you cited) leave Wisconsin?

No sir, they just left Madison. Good move for them? I'm not sold on the idea that it was
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:54 am

Peanutbutter wrote:

Kind of funny how Henry is always telling other people "Do your own damn homework" but doesn't even bother to click on a link and read the article for himself.

:roll:

Kind of funny, given the immense expanse of your Newt-sized frontal lobe and intellect, that you didn't recognize the very obvious rhetorical nature of Henry's question.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Because of the concerns about the violence and disruptions in Madison, Walker had to offer a forgivable loan in order to keep this company in Wisconsin.

I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the administration had known who they were dealing with. It seems likely, at least to me, that the loan was offered in hopes of bringing a company to WI, not keeping one here. Seems like Spectrum may have pulled a fast one on the state.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 am

Henry Vilas wrote:So that's Walker's excuse. First it was the national economy but now that other states are adding jobs, it's the protests and recall. Weak.

Conclusion:
Everybody should just shut up and take it. Otherwise our corporate masters will be miffed and be mean to us.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 am

jman111 wrote:
Peanutbutter wrote:Because of the concerns about the violence and disruptions in Madison, Walker had to offer a forgivable loan in order to keep this company in Wisconsin.

I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the administration had known who they were dealing with. It seems likely, at least to me, that the loan was offered in hopes of bringing a company to WI, not keeping one here. Seems like Spectrum may have pulled a fast one on the state.

Well, a fast one on the citizens of the state, maybe. I'm having a hard time believing any corporation would have had to flimflam the Walker administration to get what they wanted. More like conferencing to see how much they could get away with and then handing in a shopping list and getting an estimated time of delivery.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

DCB wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:So that's Walker's excuse. First it was the national economy but now that other states are adding jobs, it's the protests and recall. Weak.

Conclusion:
Everybody should just shut up and take it. Otherwise our corporate masters will be miffed and be mean to us.

Nope, I think you should continue your idiotic screams for attention.
I'm at peace! This uncivil behavior put on display only helps me toward my goal.
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 am

rabble wrote:Well, a fast one on the citizens of the state, maybe. I'm having a hard time believing any corporation would have had to flimflam the Walker administration to get what they wanted. More like conferencing to see how much they could get away with and then handing in a shopping list and getting an estimated time of delivery.

Agreed. It's easy to envision a Walker rep actually suggesting the inclusion of the "demonstration concerns" to more easily justify the loan and to also plant the seed for later politcal gain (especially given the apparent date of these concerns- Feb 21, 2011).
http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/em ... a884b.html
Last edited by jman111 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 am

Using the protests as an excuse for handing out millions to Spectrum is Walker's way of setting up campaign arguments for his recall. "All these thugs forced the state to offer Spectrum a huge payment to move their operations to Middleton instead of Florida so they could get away from the horrible dangers in Madison. This was all caused by the unions. Re-elect me to keep the state safe for business."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 am

Governor Walker really told an executive from Spectrum "We're willing to work with you in order to keep the company in Wisconsin, but first you have to send us an email saying that you're concerned about the civil unrest in Madison"?

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 am

I'm having a hard time figuring out your angle here,
Would your prefer they had gone to Florida?
How many state government jobs does this evil corporation support by remaining here? Do you even understand that it takes private sector jobs to support public sector labor? The property tax alone at
601 Rayovac is $330,000 / year.
Do you think your pensions are sustained by investing in businesses or do you think they just dig a hole in the ground and cover it until you decide to start collecting.
I will never understand why you want to keep biting the hand that feeds you!
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:23 am

Spectrum didn't let the state know they were already planning to stay in Wisconsin before they accepted the $4 million in taxpayers money. BTW, their CEO makes much more than that every year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government