MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Gun Mania

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Archipants » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Dangerousman wrote:More swill from Milwaukee's very own jack-booted thug.

The guy who demonstrated his regard for constitutional rights with this gem:

“My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we’ll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it.”

Gawd, what I wouldn't pay to see "Milwaukee's very own jack-booted thug" put your gun-nut-arse on the ground!

Keep it nutty, Dangermouseman.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:After all, getting a concealed carry permit is no different than voting for a PTO president.

Henry, you must be an inspiration to those who aspire to going through life completely clueless.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Archipants wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:More swill from Milwaukee's very own jack-booted thug.

The guy who demonstrated his regard for constitutional rights with this gem:

“My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we’ll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it.”

Gawd, what I wouldn't pay to see "Milwaukee's very own jack-booted thug" put your gun-nut-arse on the ground!

Keep it nutty, Dangermouseman.

Like that will ever happen. Flynn would crap his pants if he ever had to pull his gun anywhere outside a firing range. And he missed his opportunity just two days ago when I was there. I have a couple more visits to Milwaukee planned for this month. Maybe he'll get his chance then, eh? He's all bluster and bullshit. What he said to the press is nothing like the directive actually given to "the troops." He's in love with the sound of his own voice.

Keep it stupid, Pants.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:After all, getting a concealed carry permit is no different than voting for a PTO president.

Henry, you must be an inspiration to those who aspire to going through life completely clueless.

I thought you said you took a few philosophy courses. Didn't you learn that arguing with the ad hominem is a poor excuse for a rational debate? This is the second thread where you have refused to back up your analogy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

I thought you said you took a few philosophy courses. Didn't you learn that arguing with the ad hominem is a poor excuse for a rational debate? This is the second thread where you have refused to back up your analogy.

I majored in philosophy as both an undergrad and graduate student. An ad hominem argument is certainly invalid as a means of attacking the truth of someone's assertions. An example: Henry is stupid. Therefore, what Henry said is not true.

That's not my argument in the earlier post. I am merely asserting the premise, not the conclusion. Insofar as it is "ad hominen" it is logically valid (and sound.)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
This is the second thread where you have refused to back up your analogy.

You need to read more carefully. Where did I ever write that "getting a concealed carry permit is no different than voting for a PTO president?" You're inventing things.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Dangerousman wrote:That's not my argument in the earlier post. I am merely asserting the premise, not the conclusion. Insofar as it is "ad hominen" it is logically valid (and sound.)

Dangerousman wrote:You need to read more carefully. Where did I ever write that "getting a concealed carry permit is no different than voting for a PTO president?" You're inventing things.

Seems to me there actually was an intended implication regarding the validity of Hank's statement in your ad hominem? Perhaps you were implicitly asserting a conclusion, no?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:You need to read more carefully. Where did I ever write that "getting a concealed carry permit is no different than voting for a PTO president?" You're inventing things.

Seems to me there actually was an intended implication regarding the validity of Hank's statement in your ad hominem? Perhaps you were implicitly asserting a conclusion, no?

People can draw their own inferences from Henry's traits. It's considered a fallacy to say that because he's stupid what he says is untrue. That's because the definition of "stupid" doesn't include always being wrong.

Although it is a valid empirical inference that the odds of being untrue are higher. In fairness to Henry, we can't say more than that. I'm sure Henry is pleased I've come to his defense.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Ok, so this statement:
Dangerousman wrote:Henry, you must be an inspiration to those who aspire to going through life completely clueless.

was intended to be completely unrelated to this statement:

No implied conclusion there?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm

jman111 wrote:Ok, so this statement:
Dangerousman wrote:Henry, you must be an inspiration to those who aspire to going through life completely clueless.

The first is a statement of my opinion and the second is a fact followed by a question.

Opinion: Some people find Henry inspirational
Fact: He implied that I said something that I never did.
Question: Can he back up his (false) claim?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:I'd just buy one from a private dealer at a public gun show. Background check required? No. ID required? No.

Hey, and go vote for your PTO president. No ID check.

False analogy.

Now quibble away, if you must.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Odd, then, that you would actually reference his statement with your opinion if you didn't intend to imply any conclusions regarding his statement.
Dangerousman wrote:

Clearly unrelated.
Probably just a coincidence, I guess.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
jman111 wrote:Ok, so this statement:

The first is a statement of my opinion and the second is a fact followed by a question.

Opinion: Some people find Henry inspirational
Fact: He implied that I said something that I never did.
Question: Can he back up his (false) claim?

If we're splitting hairs here, the "second" is an(other) opinion and a question, followed by an accusation. I don't see, "You need to read more carefully" as a statement of fact.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

jman111 wrote:Odd, then, that you would actually reference his statement with your opinion if you didn't intend to imply any conclusions regarding his statement.
Dangerousman wrote:

Clearly unrelated.
Probably just a coincidence, I guess.

He has been clueless regarding what I said about voting for a PTO president and buying a gun in a private sale (not getting a CC license like he tried to say). He's saying I'm avoiding something, but I've been patiently trying to give him time to understand what I said and meant in that other thread. Doesn't look like that's happening.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Dangerousman wrote:

Dangerousman wrote:He has been clueless regarding what I said about voting for a PTO president and buying a gun in a private sale (not getting a CC license like he tried to say).

So, you were trying to imply something about the validity of his statement with the expression of your opinion of him. That's textbook ad hominem, is it not?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government