MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"No Guns" signs, not "Help Wanted" signs

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: "No Guns" signs, not "Help Wanted" signs

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:03 pm

jjoyce wrote: I'm sure they'd all rather be putting up "Help Wanted" signs, but based on its agenda, the Republican legislature isn't nearly as concerned with that issue.

Maybe the gun nuts are right - concealed won't lead to a (measurable) increase in workplace violence. Maybe it won't make any difference at all. I guess we'll just do the experiment, and wait to see if there are any tragic results.

Its the latter comment where I think we can make a more fact-based conclusion.
"250,00 jobs"? who said that?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm

What you meant to write, mr. Fisticuffs, is

That's Mr. Fisticuffs, dipshit.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
What you meant to write, mr. Fisticuffs, is

That's Mr. Fisticuffs, dipshit.

Is that like "Mr. Fisticuffs, attorney at law"?

Mr. Fisticuffs, dipshit.

I shall henceforth refer to you as such. Thank you.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm

And scene. Money well spent Isthmus.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Mr. Fisticuffs, dipshit

Distinguished!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 pm

David Blaska wrote:I suppose the same is true of being cut with knives or electrocuted or bitten by a dog or run over by a car or kicked by a horse. You can decrease the risks of all of them by ...

Of course, there are other uses for all of those things. The only purpose of a gun is to hurt/damage people/things.

So, no, the same is not really true.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:58 pm

The entertainment value of these forums is really getting up there. I love this....ok, so a disgruntled current or former employee that cannot control his or her anger gets a gun and goes to his place of employment to kill...a sign prohibiting guns is going to prevent this???

How many impulsive angry people with guns are going to obey a damm sign?
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm

But workplace gun violence might be more likely if workers were wearing their guns on the job.

That's when the impulsive angry thing works best: when you've got the thing right there strapped on your shoulder or hip.

I can't in my wildest imaginations figure out why any employer would let their people wear a gun in the office or plant. People get mad all the time at work -- it's part of any job. Having them able to draw guns on one another during simple disputes is a totally pointless risk.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Why do you hate the Constitution, snoqueen? :)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

lukpac wrote:So, no, the same is not really true.

And business owners who don't want cameras in their establishments aren't being ridiculed about how they're struggling to handle an issue that the government dropped in their lap that will neither increase profits nor decrease expenses. Often, business owners rely on their attorneys for guidance on muddy issues like this one. Well, I challenge you to find a law firm in this city that didn't put up no-guns signs last week, if not earlier. I urge you to check out the ones that work for Republicans first.

As for the bit about disgruntled workers, I'm a whole lot less worried about the guy who leaves to get a gun than the guy wearing one on his belt. Are you kidding me? You'd fare a lot better if you just stuck to the constitutional argument and left the practicalities out of it entirely.

Speaking of practicalities:

I find this to be just one more indication of divisive us vs. them thinking that might win an election, but isn't a positive step for society. Who really thinks it's a good idea to be like the guy living in the house pictured above? What would you really do if the guy across the street did that? Pat him on the back for tellin' it like it is? I guess if you don't want guns around, you're some kinda wuss, deserving of abuse. A victim! What're you gonna do about it?

I wonder how anyone who would take this position will talk about it on Thanksgiving ("Ooof! Gotta loosen up my belt AND my holster!") or, even better, at church. Will they do so in a similar manner? I was glad to see a Lutheran Bishop quoted last week: "We believe that God calls us into a more creative response to the fear in our society than concealing and carrying weapons."

On the topic of money spent, well or otherwise, I see that we continue to get what we pay for as far as Fisticuffs' services are concerned.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

On the topic of money spent, well or otherwise, I see that we continue to get what we pay for as far as Fisticuffs' services are concerned.

Glad to see you continue to hold posters to a higher standard than paid contributors. Blaska distorted his opponents views (or "Blaska'd" them as it's known in some circles) and I called him out on it. The following stream of thread trash came from your highly esteemed colleague, Jason. The least you could do is carve off some of your contempt for your customers and serve a slice to your staff for lowering the conversation to a place even I can't take it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

lukpac wrote:
David Blaska wrote:I suppose the same is true of being cut with knives or electrocuted or bitten by a dog or run over by a car or kicked by a horse. You can decrease the risks of all of them by ...

Of course, there are other uses for all of those things. The only purpose of a gun is to hurt/damage people/things.

So, no, the same is not really true.

Actually, Lukpac, the purpose of a gun is to put food on the table, to defend against attack, for target shooting and marksmanship competition.

And Fisti, I'm done humoring you. You haven't called anybody out on anything. The best you can do is call names. You're shooting blanks.

Jason (I feel like I'm in an arcade game) 48 other states have managed to survive concealed carry. But if you want to put a sign up at your manse saying no guns inside, it's your castle. (That's my doctrine.)
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:As for the bit about disgruntled workers, I'm a whole lot less worried about the guy who leaves to get a gun than the guy wearing one on his belt.

As well you should be, but why are you worried about either of them?

Just look at the stats for yourself, folks:
http://bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/osar0014.htm
(This is a brief overview of 2008 -- if you want much more detailed info from 1997-2010, there's a link to follow in the footnotes.)

Sure seems like an example of a solution in search of a problem. Note that I can direct that comment at someone on either side of this discussion.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Hey, look at that! Despite previous examples to the contrary, Blaska can identify actual namecalling. That's progress. Just imagine if he could only see that he does it too. Oh, the hypocrisy!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm

The Fitzwalkerstanian's are trying to appease as many of the fringe elements in the Republican party pre-recall as they can. I hope we can just focus on the recall election next spring as much as possible letting the Blaskas and Danglers to bloviate amongst themselves.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government