MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Edgewood Student Destroys Recall Petitions

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Edgewood Student Destroys Recall Petitions

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm

So I'd hate to spread BS but all facts are pointing to this being too good to pass up.

This story by WKOW:

http://www.wkow.com/story/16111967/reca ... -to-police

MADISON (WKOW) -- Edgewood College officials notified the campus community of the destruction of a recall petition against Governor Walker, but a campus official said the police were not notified.

But on the twitter account of the student believed responsible for the potentially criminal act, a confessional message was sent to the governor's account: "Today I ripped up a petition form to recall you."

Sound's like Edgewood is taking action to sanction this kid who went by the twitter handle: "alexbugatti." What made me chuckle is a quick round of google-fu that landed not only his real name, facebook account and this "twit-pic" style image loader called twicsy featuring only two images from our now infamous "alexbugatti," a Budhead Soda and a nice sized bud with two finely rolled joints: http://twicsy.com/u/%40alexbugatti

If he happens to delete his account I took a couple of screenshots I can edit in. Good job Alex, you've successfully painted young republicans as potheads too. My hat is off to you.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Edgewood Student Destroys Recall Petitions

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks, I did see that, I figured I'd make a thread dedicated to this specific instance. It was too good to pass up.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 am

The ripped petition incident was reported to police on Monday but it happened on Nov. 15, the first day of the recall campaign, at Edgewood College.

"An 18-year-old student volunteering for the Edgewood Young Democrats was getting signatures from other students and had collected two signatures on a petition when a third student approached," DeSpain said.

The volunteer thought the student was going to sign.

"Instead, the student ripped the petition in half and walked off with both pieces of paper," DeSpain said.

The signature collector notified school authorities following the incident but didn't call police until Monday.

"The investigating officer plans to consult the district attorney, because ultimately it's up to the DA to decide whether or not a criminal charge would be filed," DeSpain said.

No information was reported as to whether police knew the identity of the petition ripper.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... z1fCUWH1Zu
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Does Edgewood think it's Penn State? Why did it take nearly two weeks to report the alleged felony to the police? They have a moral obligation, if not a legal one, to do so. Misprision of a felony and all that.

But Madison police were not notified about it until Monday Nov. 28, when one of the students circulating the petition contacted the department.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am

Perhaps he should have grabbed the petition and run to Illinois?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Perhaps he should have grabbed the petition and run to Illinois?

Cause then people could try to recall him and fail miserably even though they gave free liquor to signers?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm

What a dumbass...

A student's alleged destruction of a petition of a small number of signatures to recall Governor Scott Walker also involved a tweet from the student's account to the governor, claiming responsibility for ripping up the petition.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Perhaps he should have grabbed the petition and run to Illinois?

Nonsense. Off-topic. Ned Flanders.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Why did it take nearly two weeks to report the alleged felony to the police? They have a moral obligation, if not a legal one, to do so. Misprision of a felony and all that.
"Misprision" is a new word for me, thanks Henry.

I wouldn't get bent out of shape about Edgewood's culpability in not reporting the incident sooner. Does it appear that they were trying to do a cover-up?

On "moral obligation" - I dunno if I'd go that far. Don't conflate morals and laws. Do you dutifully call the cops every time you obtain knowledge that someone bought or sold illegal drugs? As someone who has little respect for government authority to begin with, I don't see petition actions as matters of morality - they are just logistical matters of social organization.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
On "moral obligation" - I dunno if I'd go that far. Don't conflate morals and laws. Do you dutifully call the cops every time you obtain knowledge that someone bought or sold illegal drugs? As someone who has little respect for government authority to begin with, I don't see petition actions as matters of morality - they are just logistical matters of social organization.

Does their Dominican Tradition mean they should hold themselves to a higher standard? I know it is up to them to interpret, and the Catholic Church isn't always quite toeing the line regarding truth and justice, but it's right there on the website:

Hallmarks of the Edgewood College Dominican Tradition include:

CORE MISSION VALUES: Truth, Justice, Compassion, Partnership, Community.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:18 pm

acereraser wrote:Does their Dominican Tradition mean they should hold themselves to a higher standard? I know it is up to them to interpret, and the Catholic Church isn't always quite toeing the line regarding truth and justice, but it's right there on the website:

Hallmarks of the Edgewood College Dominican Tradition include:

CORE MISSION VALUES: Truth, Justice, Compassion, Partnership, Community.

Sounds similar to Ritz Crackers' core mission. Everyone's core PR mission is to appear outwardly accepting and generous. So what? Talk is cheap.

Make sure to point that out and sound authoritative to TDPF. Didn't jjoyce state that playing the hypocrisy card is boring? Yes he did. But it's only boring if a reformer does it. Leftists get a boring pass here because in this circle jerk, its authoritative, or something.
Last edited by HamsterArmageddon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Is there justice in putting this dumbass on trial? Or sticking him with a fine or jailtime? There may be a deterrent effect if he is punished, but in my opinion, ignorant dumbasses will be ignorant dumbasses.

Is it possible to just have separate slips of paper for each signature? I know this would make it harder to organize them, but it would render the "ripping up" problem moot. Sign the slip, put it in the box. Of course, the box could be stolen or vandalized, but it could also be better protected than a sheet of paper that must be put into the hands of potential vandals in order to be signed. And why can't we do e-petitions?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:29 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:On "moral obligation" - I dunno if I'd go that far. Don't conflate morals and laws. Do you dutifully call the cops every time you obtain knowledge that someone bought or sold illegal drugs? As someone who has little respect for government authority to begin with, I don't see petition actions as matters of morality - they are just logistical matters of social organization.

I don't know what my opinion is on Edgewood's (moral) obligation (or lack thereof) to report the incident.

But I think your justification for not reporting it ("... as someone who has little respect for government authority ...") strikes an odd note here.

I can see why you would feel no moral obligation to report someone for a "victimless crime" (drug use, consensual prostitution, driving without seatbelts...) where the crime itself is something you see as a mere exercise in government authority.

But the petition process isn't really an exercise of government authority -- in fact, it's quite the opposite: it's a constitutionally protected right of the people to challenge the authority of the head of government.

The analogy to drug use seems like a red herring. Unlike, say, munching on pot-laced brownies or whatever, the crime of tearing up recall petitions does harm other people: it negates their legal right to challenge authority.

How exactly would "I don't have much respect for government authority" justify turning a blind eye to someone's extralegal use of force to strengthen the power and authority of the governor?

Again, I'm not necessarily saying that Edgewood is or isn't obligated to turn the guy in. But your libertarian justification for dismissing this seems a bit misplaced.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Is there justice in putting this dumbass on trial? Or sticking him with a fine or jailtime? There may be a deterrent effect if he is punished, but in my opinion, ignorant dumbasses will be ignorant dumbasses.

Isn't this why we have laws in the first place. If people broke the law and didn't get some form of punishment, then what's the use of having laws.

ArturoBandini wrote:Is it possible to just have separate slips of paper for each signature?

Here's an idea, when you break the law, you get a punishment.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government