MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The new DNR priorities

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: The new DNR priorities

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The DNR proposed that hunting would be allowed in state parks from Oct. 15 until the Thursday before Memorial Day. Over 2,000 Wisconsinites registered opposition to that plan. So the DNR "compromised" and cut that back to only two months of hunting.

A bullet from a hunting rifle can easily travel a mile. Anyone going to visit state parks (for non-hunting purposes) during those two months?

I will.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:05 pm

jman111 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The DNR proposed that hunting would be allowed in state parks from Oct. 15 until the Thursday before Memorial Day. Over 2,000 Wisconsinites registered opposition to that plan. So the DNR "compromised" and cut that back to only two months of hunting.

A bullet from a hunting rifle can easily travel a mile. Anyone going to visit state parks (for non-hunting purposes) during those two months?

I will.

As a wee child my father once took me camping in Kettle Moraine State park in October. My father doesn't hunt so we were both quite surprised to wake up to the sound of gun fire. State Parks have always allowed hunting in some areas, and I can't recall ever spending time in one during hunting season since that day.

Expanding that to more areas isn't going to change my mind.

I would like to point out that Rep. Jeff Mursau (R-Crivitz) just made it clear that he does not have a right to peace and quiet.
Regardless of what you hear, peace and quiet are not constitutional rights.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I would like to point out that Rep. Jeff Mursau (R-Crivitz) just made it clear that he does not have a right to peace and quiet.

I wonder if this principle applies equally to state-owned parks and state-owned public facilities like the capitol.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:48 pm

jman111 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I would like to point out that Rep. Jeff Mursau (R-Crivitz) just made it clear that he does not have a right to peace and quiet.

I wonder if this principle applies equally to state-owned parks and state-owned public facilities like the capitol.

I don't think Mursau is empowered to actually define what a constitutional right is, nor would the lack of a constitutional right to quiet invalidate local and administrative statues against disturbing the peace. He on the other hand clearly sees no problem with loud noises disturbing people, so it would seem acceptable to introduce loud noise and discord in his personal work space and place of residence.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:State Parks have always allowed hunting in some areas, and I can't recall ever spending time in one during hunting season since that day.

I've done a lot of camping/hiking in State Parks and have always made sure to where bright colored clothes because of the hunters. I've known they were there sometimes when I was. I didn't like that they tried to expand the amount of time you could hunt. There are a lot of folks who cross country ski and winter hike. Luckily the expansion was shot down(although some are throwing a hissy fit about it)
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 pm

The DNR orginally wanted to open all state parks/forrests, etc. for over half the year for hunting and then "compromised" with a two month period instead. I wonder if that is what they wanted all the long. The art of the deal.

I assume some state land is exempt, such as the capitol grounds.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The DNR orginally wanted to open all state parks/forrests, etc. for over half the year for hunting and then "compromised" with a two month period instead. I wonder if that is what they wanted all the long. The art of the deal.

I assume some state land is exempt, such as the capitol grounds.

I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame squarely on the DNR, they are acting on a new state law. It seems by trying to compromise, they managed to bring both sides together, in that they are both pissed at the DNR.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame squarely on the DNR, they are acting on a new state law.

The DNR secretary serves at the pleasure of the governor and implements the administrations' policies. Walker signed the bill and without protest (he and the GOP controlled Legislature worked in concert).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame squarely on the DNR, they are acting on a new state law.

The DNR secretary serves at the pleasure of the governor and implements the administrations' policies. Walker signed the bill and without protest (he and the GOP controlled Legislature worked in concert).

Henry can you please explain how anything you just said contradicts my statement? The DNR has to follow the laws passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, does it not?

The fact that they did reduce the number of months to two would seem to indicate that the DNR isn't just blindly doing what the law says, hence Captain "No Right To Quiet" is pissed at the DNR for the change. I'm totally in agreement with you on the stupidity of the law, but blame the guys who passed it, not the agency responsible for finding a safe way to put the law into practice.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes, the DNR has to obey the law. But who signed it and who, as chief executive, appointed the present DNR secretary? I blame both those in power and their minions.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, the DNR has to obey the law. But who signed it and who, as chief executive, appointed the present DNR secretary? I blame both those in power and their minions.

But you refuse to credit "their minions" for actually trying to apply some common sense to the law, and reaching a compromise with those who wish to use the park for activities other than hunting or trapping.

Congrats Henry, you're just as good at compromise as republicans
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 am

Give the DNR all the credit you want, but I say it was just a negotiation ploy. Ask for over a half year of hunting in state parks and "settle" for two months.

I guess our opinions differ on that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:39 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Give the DNR all the credit you want, but I say it was just a negotiation ploy. Ask for over a half year of hunting in state parks and "settle" for two months.

I guess our opinions differ on that.

It would seem that the only way to settle it would be for someone to file an open records request for any emails/correspondence between DNR, the Governor's Office and GOP legislators on that topic.

Otherwise we are left to our beliefs.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:26 pm

The Governor held an Economic Summit recently. I haven't seen much press about it. But I did find this:
Stepp said the DNR is being restructured to be run more like a company than a government agency, using lean manufacturing principles. This will enable staff to forward their ideas, she said, and make the DNR more accessible and able to respond quicker.

Well, that's worked so well for WEDC!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 am

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources wants to transform an environmental education center in Poynette into a hunting and fishing training center, complete with shooting range, the agency announced this week.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/envi ... z2KswB5VNy

So why not create a new center instead of removing this one. Aren't there plenty of "private" hunting and training centers. I guess conservatives are all about publicly funded programs as long as they are geared towards their own interests.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government