MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The new DNR priorities

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: The new DNR priorities

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Update:

A state Department of Natural Resources committee voted 4-1 Thursday to recommend approval of a controversial $500,000 grant to the politically connected United Sportsmen of Wisconsin Foundation amid questions about whether the group is qualified to carry out the work.

In an interview after the meeting, Mark LaBarbera, the lone member of the Sporting Heritage Grant Committee to vote against the grant, said “I felt that it didn’t pass the smell test.”

The decision now goes to DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp, who has no discretion but to OK the grant, said Tim Andryk, the agency’s chief legal counsel. Andryk told the committee that the provision passed as part of the state’s two-year budget requires the secretary to issue the grant by Tuesday.

It's a done deal.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Rep. Al Ott is disapointed

A group that claimed federal nonprofit status in winning a controversial $500,000 grant to promote hunting and fishing hasn't actually received that status yet, state records show.

The state Department of Natural Resources on Tuesday released documents from the United Sportsmen of Wisconsin Foundation Inc., showing it had misrepresented its tax status during the process of receiving a grant to promote hunting and fishing in the state. The DNR requested the letters from United Sportsmen, apparently following a Friday report by the Journal Sentinel that the group wasn't listed in federal and state registries of 501(c)(3) nonprofits.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 pm

You can still have the money but I'm disappointed.

Is half a million enough? Sure you don't need more after I'm done being disappointed?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm

I especially like this part:

Despite the misrepresentation, the DNR officially notified United Sportsmen in a letter Tuesday that it would be receiving the grant anyway, with $50,000 of it as an advance before receipts are filed.

In other words: Here's $50k cash up front. Please don't be mad at us.
Love,
The DNR
p.s. taxpayers are such suckers
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 pm

How much do you wanna bet that "United Sportsmen" donates a chunk of this $500k to Scott Walker's re-election campaign? Nothing these assholes do would surprise me.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:33 am

david cohen wrote:How much do you wanna bet that "United Sportsmen" donates a chunk of this $500k to Scott Walker's re-election campaign? Nothing these assholes do would surprise me.

David, the entire 500K is going to spent directly on campaigning for Walker. That's the only reason "United Sportsmen" exists.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 am

DCB wrote:
david cohen wrote:How much do you wanna bet that "United Sportsmen" donates a chunk of this $500k to Scott Walker's re-election campaign? Nothing these assholes do would surprise me.

David, the entire 500K is going to spent directly on campaigning for Walker. That's the only reason "United Sportsmen" exists.

There is probably a reason they haven't been granted 501(c)(3) status as a non-profit yet. Especially given the shit storm that the IRS just went through on that subject.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am

So they don't even have to pretend to build a shooting range and four-wheeler track on the old Badger land? Not even, maybe, mow a strip for kids to ride on?

A bunch of people worked long and hard to preserve that land and to keep it the way it is will be a victory. An expensive one, but a victory.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 am

I'd be mildly shocked if they didn't spend some of the money on PSA messages and maybe some pamphlets detailing the joys of shooting critters.

But I'd love to see them audited in a year or two. I'm sure donating to pro-hunter's rights(i.e. Gun rights) candidates is important for promoting hunting and fishing.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
DCB wrote:

There is probably a reason they haven't been granted 501(c)(3) status as a non-profit yet. Especially given the shit storm that the IRS just went through on that subject.

The shit-storm was over 501(c)(4) organizations. 501(c)(3) organizations have different rules--you'd have to ask HawkHead about the details, though.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm

• The IRS gives 501c3 rulings to organizations that are charitable, educational, literary, religious, scientific or organized for public safety testing or to prevent cruelty to children or animals .
• The IRS looks at four things :
1. A statement of intent to operate as a 501c3 nonprofit,
2. Profit may not go to the officers, though they may take a salary,
3. They may not lobby or conduct political activity and
4. If the corporation dissolves any remaining money must go to another 501c3 employer.
These must all be stated in the articles of incorporation
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:37 pm

In related news, the DNR has denied the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation's application to run the MacKenzie Center, even though they filed the only application, because they "didn't include enough emphasis on hunting, fishing and trapping."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:03 am

Walker has cancelled the half million dollar giveaway to the "United Sportmen" group. Not only did they lie about their non-profit status, but the group's leader has a previous conviction for illegal hunting in Wisconsin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker has cancelled the half million dollar giveaway to the "United Sportmen" group. Not only did they lie about their non-profit status, but the group's leader has a previous conviction for illegal hunting in Wisconsin.

A half million dollars now free... just what we need to pay the GoTac tax bill and close the woods!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Walker has cancelled the half million dollar giveaway to the "United Sportmen" group. Not only did they lie about their non-profit status, but the group's leader has a previous conviction for illegal hunting in Wisconsin.

Now and then we get a peek at Walker's weakness. He wants to run for President so bad it hurts, and if there's something on his record that'll look bad beyond a doubt -- favors to somebody lying about non-profit status comes close -- he caves. Sometimes.

He's trying to walk this fine, fine line between looking as "hard right" as he can and breaking obvious laws to do it. The IRS is a touchy point anyway given the screaming session the Teaps staged about tax regulations a few months ago, so he doesn't want to get too close to that third-rail issue.

He's not making moral judgments, not making judgments to benefit the people of the state -- he's making electability-related judgments, which in this case took precedence over judgments favoring his big donors.

There may be times this weakness can be put to good use.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government