MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Senate slows mining bill

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Senate slows mining bill

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:01 am

Lobby: Hold off on mining bill until after elections

No substantive action on any compromises to a hotly debated mining bill should happen this year with Democrats controlling the state Senate, the vice president of Wisconsin's largest business lobbying group said in a letter last week.

Instead, interested parties should wait until after the November elections with the hope that Republicans take back control with at least a two-vote majority, said Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce Vice President Jim Buchen in the letter to Kennan Wood, the executive director of the Wisconsin Mining Association.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

Geez. They were in such a rush last spring, too.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Looks like the mining bill is back on the table.

Lobbyists push for repeal of mining 'moratorium'

Lobbyists are pushing the state Legislature to take mine permit reform further and repeal the state's 15-year-old "moratorium" on mines that produce polluting acids.

Last session's failed mining reform efforts focused only on iron mines as opposed to operations that would remove metals such as gold, copper, zinc and silver. Unlike in iron mining, the processing of such base metals requires the use of chemicals and exposes surrounding sulfide minerals to air and water, which can create potent, polluting acids.

State Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, who was elected Senate Majority Leader last week, said mining is a priority and added he is hopeful a bipartisan permitting bill can be fashioned.

He was more circumspect about any action on the moratorium and said he has not heard of any specific efforts to bring forth legislation on the issue.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 am

Critics say GOP-favored mining bill headed to court if it passes

“From a litigation standpoint, they have a losing hand,” predicts state Sen. Tim Cullen, D-Janesville.

Protection of state waterways, Cullen and others say, will be the likely legal roadblock.
While the state’s existing mining law has explicit language prohibiting the infill of waterways with, for example, overburden from a mining operation, the Assembly bill does not. It is simply silent on the matter.

“It is an intentional omission,” asserts George Meyer, former secretary of the state Department of Natural Resources and executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation.

Meyer says the omission is particularly concerning because of the environmentally sensitive location of the only prospective mine that is being discussed for development in Wisconsin.

Mining company Gogebic Taconite has as an option on land in the Penokee Hills of Ashland and Iron counties. The land is surrounded by trout streams, wetlands and the Tyler Forks and Bad rivers. The Bad River drains into Lake Superior after traversing the reservation of the Bad River band of Lake Superior Chippewa.

It sounds like Gobebic Taconite wrote the bill and gave it to the Assembly.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

Guess who helped write the latest edition of the mining bill.

Mining firm Gogebic Taconite has role in drafting bill
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

While I'm opposed to the GOP mining legislation, I have a hard time getting worked up about it. That's because I don't believe any iron mining will be done. The tribes and environmentalists will tie it up in court, and the market for iron is going down, not up.

That said, the bill and the GOP's "process" sucks. I hope people are paying attention.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm

gargantua wrote:While I'm opposed to the GOP mining legislation, I have a hard time getting worked up about it. That's because I don't believe any iron mining will be done. The tribes and environmentalists will tie it up in court, and the market for iron is going down, not up.

That said, the bill and the GOP's "process" sucks. I hope people are paying attention.

Remember the Crandon mine. The Environmental Decade(now Wisconsin't Environment or something like that) was born out of that debacle. It took years, but it was finally defeated and the mine company gave up. I think similar things will happen.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Guess who helped write the latest edition of the mining bill.

Mining firm Gogebic Taconite has role in drafting bill

Hey Henry, here's a heads up. The owner of Gogebic Taconite, Chris Cline, owns a boat he rents out- for only $265,000 a week. Since he leases it out, he probably gets to write it off on his federal income tax. It doesn't help on his state income tax as Florida doesn't have one. Interested? I hear they're biting. Take me and I'll be your best friend.

http://www.charterbrochure.com/sevenseas/minegames
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Hard to tell if you are pro or con on the mining bill. Care to clarify?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Hard to tell if you are pro or con on the mining bill. Care to clarify?
No, not really. After all, what difference, at this point, does it make?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Because a lot of Wisconsin' taxpayer dollars will be spent on this wasted (pun intended) effort.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Remember the Crandon mine. The Environmental Decade(now Wisconsin't Environment or something like that) was born out of that debacle. It took years, but it was finally defeated and the mine company gave up. I think similar things will happen.

Your history is off. Wisconsin's Environmental Decade (now Clean Wisconsin) was founded about a decade before the Crandon mine fight began in the late 1970s. Indeed, many involved in that mine fight thought the Decade's Kathy Falk was too cozy to the mining industry during the "consensus process" of the late 1970s that developed some of the mining rules that Gogebic now wants to circumvent.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government